• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

TomShoe

Banned
Eh you would have to qualify that as there is a madden XB1 bundle that includes the game at no extra cost [$399]

So XB1 will sell less retail standalone because of that but more overall most likely than if they didn't have the bundle

So PS4 retail standalone versus XB1 retail standalone or versus XB1 retail standalone plus bundle?

Something something EA Access

FleetFeet

If a new IP that released in March can't do it, then a game that's part of an existing popular franchise that releases during the Holiday season won't?

Let's be real... just like TF, most people who want MCC already has an xbox one. I can see MCC selling well, but I don't think it will be the system seller some are hoping it will be.

Jabba

Banned
Even so the fact that the 360/Xbox One combined is less than the PS4 and the PS4 alone (with this happening for some time according to your post) is monumental. We went through eight years of the 360 doubling the PS3's numbers and leading the entire industry every month in North America like some kind of unstoppable force that was never ever going to recede.

And now the PS4 is dominating the entire Xbox platform and business in both North America and even more so worldwide just over a year and a half later? Sony's turnaround is miraculous.

Also forgive me I'm coming into the thread quite late. Are we still waiting on hard numbers?

Believe so.

RE_Player

Watch_Dogs sold a hell of lot more on PS4 when compared to Xbox One because Ubisoft had a marketing deal with Sony. Destiny will likely be the same but will that move hardware units for Sony?

Wait, is someone going to say Madden will put XB1 over the top in September over Destiny, the most pre-ordered game in the history of all the games?

I look forward to seeing that set of numbers.
mrw-my-year-old-truck-started-on-the-first-try-in-sub-zero-temperatures-79831.gif
Uh no, no.ones saying that. But its clearly all they have unless theres a game im missing ms is hiding.

Eh you would have to qualify that as there is a madden XB1 bundle that includes the game at no extra cost [$399]

So XB1 will sell less retail standalone because of that but more overall most likely than if they didn't have the bundle

So PS4 retail standalone versus XB1 retail standalone or versus XB1 retail standalone plus bundle?

PS4 Madden will outsell Xbone Madden retail standalone plus bundles.

ethomaz

Banned
So then what happens if they get handily outsold for the rest of the year (talking US only here)? Is it considered officially over? Will the tone have been set for the rest of the generation?

Obviously none of us have a crystal ball here, but I'm just curious of others' opinions.
They will say the battle will be when Halo 5...

It is PR... not a big deal.

TomShoe

Banned
So then what happens if they get handily outsold for the rest of the year (talking US only here)? Is it considered officially over? Will the tone have been set for the rest of the generation?

Obviously none of us have a crystal ball here, but I'm just curious of others' opinions.

It's never over, since there's still at least 4-ish years left on both console's lives. However, given the trends we've been seeing, it's probably going to take a serious fuck-up on Sony's part, or a Halo-esque mega hit from Microsoft. Even then that might not be enough to close WW sales.

Wait a minute. XO releases in Japan in Sept right? Then maybe they do have a game for Sept again destiny. Just git to wait for TGS. New Blinx perhaps?

PS4 Madden will outsell Xbone Madden retail standalone plus bundles.

That's possible. I'm probably going to go with PS4 madden will outsell XB1 standalone but not standalone plus bundle

One problem though is that Madden releases late August I think? So the uptick in Madden XB1 sales won't really hit until September I think

Who knows though? PS4 does have a decent lead on install base going

Phil said that to downplay the monthly losses. Holiday season will be interesting since they do have some weapons.
I'm thinking sales will see an improvement (always do around that time) but all the talk of XBO overtaking PS4 in either November or December sounds 'meh'. There aren't going to be any production shortages this time, so everything is kind of falling on MCC for MS.

Sorry my bad. Wasn't feeling so hot and fell asleep.

It's alright. Good to hear you're alright. Everything's alright.

vin-buc

I imagine that white, ps4 bundle is going to be huge.

Sony should also release a stand alone white console LE for the holidays.

Xbox bundles look good and they will move units @ $399 with a new game pack-in. Although the CoD bundle looks nice - I can't see it moving many units at $499 even with a 1TB HDD, especially if there is a resolution gate with that title.

I'm confused...by a few things actually.
So you're saying Nintendo shoudn't try to have games like GTA, Madden, Minecraft a comprable COD, etc third party games...because they appeal to young western gamers?

With the exception of Minecraft, Yes.
Those things don't appeal to the Wii/DS/GB/phone/tablet (Nintendo's most important market), and there isn't any reason for them to try and get that kind of software. They've made it pretty clear over the past few months that they didn't do a very good job at appealing to the family/casual market with their 8th gen machines, and they've admitted that it's where there focus should have been/should be.
Also, It's really not too hard to understand the "brother console" concept; just think of it like the iPhone and the iPad (NinGo and NinHome)

Everyone buys these games.

That's not true at all, realistic sports sims, like Madden, mostly appeal to young western men.
Why do you think those games sold so poorly on the Wii?
Hell, even when they tried to create a more whimsical arcadey Madden specifically for the Wii it failed (as far as I know); there just isn't any reason for Nintendo to care about the AAA western market going into the future.

BigDug13

Even so the fact that the 360/Xbox One combined is less than the PS4 and the PS4 alone (with this happening for some time according to your post) is monumental. We went through eight years of the 360 doubling the PS3's numbers and leading the entire industry every month in North America like some kind of unstoppable force that was never ever going to recede.

And now the PS4 is dominating the entire Xbox platform and business in both North America and even more so worldwide just over a year and a half later? Sony's turnaround is miraculous.

Also forgive me I'm coming into the thread quite late. Are we still waiting on hard numbers?

What it really proves is what many people on this forum were saying from the start. North America is really not hung-up on a gaming brand going from one generation to the next. A great deal and great value is going to win out. Gamers were more than happy to jump to MS last gen because MS was providing the best value and best place to play the most popular third party titles.

NES to Genesis to SNES to PS1 to PS2 to 360/Wii to PS4 as far as most popular in NA. No company is safe and no company can take the NA market for granted and get complacent. Otherwise we are more than happy to change to a different brand. I'm a 2 previous gen Xbox gamer who made the switch back. No company is safe if they don't bring it each gen. MS assumed all their NA 360 fans would happily keep with their brand. They thought they had a loyal customer-base, even though that's not how console gaming has worked in NA.

MS needs to start locking down more exclusives if they're going to stage a come back. Tomb Raider alone isn't going to cut it, if I were them I'd look at Evolve, Witcher and The Order if I really wanted to knock Sony's legs out from under them.

Sevyne

They'll just start sounding like the reaper when he kept losing to Bill and Ted.

Wait a minute. XO releases in Japan in Sept right? Then maybe they do have a game for Sept again destiny. Just git to wait for TGS. New Blinx perhaps?

TGS 2014 is the 18th -21st of September.

Do you think anyone, not just Microsoft, not even a indie iOS developer, is going to announce a blockbuster game, or any game for that matter and release it within the next 9-10 days?

What sherm are you smoking sir?

That's possible. I'm probably going to go with PS4 madden will outsell XB1 standalone but not standalone plus bundle

One problem though is that Madden releases late August I think? So the uptick in Madden XB1 sales won't really hit until September I think

Who knows though? PS4 does have a decent lead on install base going

How? Sports games are still xbox territory.outside vps4 aren't they? Not to mention the XO controller sticks have football feeling textures.

lpchrys

Banned
Not really surprised at the last of us...there really is no other game to play on ps4 right now...infamous has come and gone.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
MS needs to start locking down more exclusives if they're going to stage a come back. Tomb Raider alone isn't going to cut it, if I were them I'd look at Evolve, Witcher and The Order if I really wanted to knock Sony's legs out from under them.

So now they should start stealing exclusives?

Not really surprised at the last of us...there really is no other game to play on ps4 right now...infamous has come and gone.

You're right. Not one other game aside from Infamous and The Last of Us. How can 10 million people be so stupid as to purchase a console with two games on it?

That's an awesome birthday gift! You might just have a keeper.

My best friend and I are big Lakers fans, and a few years ago we kept talking about how cool it would be to go see a game together. Lo and behold, his wife one day walks into the room while we where playing NBA2K11 with two tickets to a Lakers game - on my birthday! It's like it was destiny.

Of course the Lakers lost by double digits and my best friend ended up getting a divorce, so now that I think about it maybe she didn't even pay with cash but sold her soul to the devil for the tickets...

Worth it!
Totally
Probably already said but...ever think the tickets were for them?

Snatching the Order would be quite a feat considering Sony is publishing it.

Top Bottom