• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

Darius

Banned
Other than MCC, nothing else from them has potential to be better sellers than last years offerings.

I really doubt we see XB1 sell 2m in Nov. & Dec. this year.

They also go way beyond the trend line.

Do the revenue charts you posted refer to hardware+software?
What we have to consider is that Xone even if it manages to sell as much as in last years holiday season there will be 100$ less revenue per console. another big difference is that this time there is no game of GTA5 calibre.

dolemite

This month was really sad, sales wise, and August is gonna be even worse. PS4 will be flirting with 150k and if the Madden bundle underperforms, XBone will be near 100k.

donny2112

It may have been by March, but I know for sure that the shortages were over by late April. That's because when PS2s started appearing on shelves instead of just eBay, I got together the cash to go buy one. But then in May Sony announced the GT3 bundle, so I made myself wait until July to get that.

Great first-hand account. So March/April 2001 timeframe for PS2 shortages ending, then. Thanks!

Death2494

This month was really sad, sales wise, and August is gonna be even worse. PS4 will be flirting with 150k and if the Madden bundle underperforms, XBone will be near 100k.
You have to remember, this isn't the whole story. Internet sales are not accounted for. It's only about ~60% if not not mistaken. I'm sure Sony moved another 13k the other 40% and online sales. Same for Xbox One.

sörine

Banned
You have to remember, this isn't the whole story. Internet sales are not accounted for. It's only about ~60% if not not mistaken. I'm sure Sony moved another 13k the other 40% and online sales. Same for Xbox One.
NPD accounts for 100% of hardware sales. They get direct data from retailers for 90%+ of the market and extrapolate the rest.

jcm

Only 3DS hardware is missing, can you do this favor for us telling the number?

Seriously, I'm sure a lot people here are interested in knowing.

Count me amongst the interested. It's really frustrating that we can't even get complete hardware numbers. Meanwhile in Japan, the MC top 1000 software has been posted. We really, really need some competition for NPD.

donny2112

sörine;125924921 said:
NPD accounts for 100% of hardware sales. They get direct data from retailers for 90%+ of the market and extrapolate the rest.

But how many online downloads of hardware did they track? None. Accurate? Pbbbttttt.

Death2494

sörine;125924921 said:
I thought they only tracked big retailers like Walmart, best buy, Gamestop, etc. Do they they track online retailers? If someone with a better grasp on NPD tasks hardwares sales could help, it would be a big help.

LOCK

Do the revenue charts you posted refer to hardware+software?
What we have to consider is that Xone even if it manages to sell as much as in last years holiday season there will be 100$ less revenue per console. another big difference is that this time there is no game of GTA5 calibre.
Yes, this includes hardware, software and accessories. I will make a hardware vs software chart when I get time.
I thought they only tracked big retailers like Walmart, best buy, Gamestop, etc. Do they they track online retailers? If someone with a better grasp on NPD tasks hardwares sales could help, it would be a big help.
Yes they track online sales now. Before they properly did that they estimated sales.

Opiate

Thanks Lock

2007 and 2008 seem to be entirely unnaturally high growth

I want to highlight this comment to show how the numbers really don't back your observation (and your observation is common, so I'm not intending to pick on you here).

The PS2 launched globally in (very late) 2000, and we see a jump of ~44% in revenue the following year. This jump is then more or less sustained the entire PS2 generation. This tells us that the PS2 grew the industry significantly, and then consoles retained that growth going forward.

Now let's look at the Wii transition. The jump in revenue in 2008 is 48%, or slightly more than the jump the PS2 caused in 2001. In other words, the growth in 2007 and 2008 was not "unnaturally high," as that type of growth was very similar to the growth the PS2 caused (and the PS1 before that, by the way, it just isn't on the chart you quoted).

The growth isn't unnatural; it's just that, unlike in the past, consoles were unable to keep those new customers they had created. Thus, revenue shrunk as those customers were stolen away from consoles, rather than providing sustained growth as they had in the PS1 and PS2 days.

The console industry had seen a doubling of total consumer base before (that's nearly what we saw with the PS1 from Genesis/SNES, and the NES transition from Atari). The growth from the Wii was not weird or unusual or even particularly uncommon up until that point in the console industry's lifespan.

I want to highlight this comment to show how the numbers really don't back your observation (and your observation is common, so I'm not intending to pick on you here).

The PS2 launched globally in (very late) 2000, and we see a jump of ~44% in revenue the following year. This jump is then more or less sustained the entire PS2 generation. This tells us that the PS2 grew the industry significantly, and then consoles retained that growth going forward.

Now let's look at the Wii transition. The jump in revenue in 2008 is 48%, or slightly more than the jump the PS2 caused in 2001. In other words, the growth in 2007 and 2008 was not "unnaturally high," as that type of growth was very similar to the growth the PS2 caused (and the PS1 before that, by the way, it just isn't on the chart you quoted).

The growth isn't unnatural; it's just that, unlike in the past, consoles were unable to keep those new customers they had created. Thus, revenue shrunk as those customers were stolen away from consoles, rather than providing sustained growth as they had in the PS1 and PS2 days.

The console industry had seen a doubling of total consumer base before (that's nearly what we saw with the PS1 from Genesis/SNES, and the NES transition from Atari). The growth from the Wii was not weird or unusual or even particularly uncommon up until that point in the console industry's lifespan.

How much of that growth do you think you can attribute to gamers who grew up but stayed gamers? I feel like the NES really put gaming mainstream, and kids who played that console grew up and kept gaming, while new kids kept getting into games, and this growth is why later generations saw a larger consumer base. At this point though, we've reached the point where as many people leave gaming(due to other responsibilities like family) as enter it, so the market has become stagnant.

The growth in 2007 was not unnaturally high, but the growth in 2008 arguably was.

The PS2 bump peaked in 2002, at 56% higher than 2000 (the year of the PS2's release). 2002 was 9.5% higher than 2001.

The Wii bump peaked in 2008, at 71% higher than 2006 (the year of the Wii's release). 2008 was 19% higher than 2007.

That seems a bit unnatural to me, especially in the context of a more mature market. This was a bubble and it popped.

Opiate

Imru’ al-Qays;125944229 said:
The growth in 2007 was not unnaturally high, but the growth in 2008 arguably was.

The PS2 bump peaked in 2002, at 56% higher than 2000 (the year of the PS2's release). 2002 was 9.5% higher than 2001.

The Wii bump peaked in 2008, at 71% higher than 2006 (the year of the Wii's release). 2008 was 19% higher than 2007.

That seems a bit unnatural to me. This was a bubble and it popped.

The PS1 nearly doubled the size of the market in terms of users (~90m for SNES/Genesis generation, ~160M users for PS1/N64/Saturn generation). The NES more than doubled the size of the console user base. The growth really isn't unnatural, even if you try to claim that 71% growth is somehow totally different than 56% growth.

Your analysis simply does not add up. If there was a "bubble," then we would have seen gamers exit the market. We did not see that; instead, we saw them migrate to platforms which better suited their needs. They aren't gone -- this isn't the Atari bubble -- they just migrated to better platforms, platforms that don't happen to be consoles.

The PS1 nearly doubled the size of the market in terms of users (~90m for SNES/Genesis generation, ~160M users for PS1/N64/Saturn generation). The NES more than doubled the size of the console user base. The growth really isn't unnatural, even if you try to claim that 71% growth is somehow totally different than 56% growth.

Markets don't stay immature forever. Explosive growth of that sort is unsustainable over the long term, especially when we consider that it hadn't occurred during the PS2 generation. The larger the market the more unusual it is for it to suddenly experience massive, sustained expansion.

Your analysis simply does not add up. If there was a "bubble," then we would have seen gamers exit the market. We did not see that; instead, we saw them migrate to platforms which better suited their needs. They aren't gone -- this isn't the Atari bubble -- they just migrated to better platforms, platforms that don't happen to be consoles.

It's a bubble in the sense that they entered the console market and then left it en masse a few years later.

What's the point in keeping the 3DS numbers a secret? If Aqua just blurted out XBO and PS4 numbers, why not 3DS?

You saw what the NPD Ninjas did to Gamecrate / Newegg, right? I heard about the details of the situation. It was brutal.

The point is that you don't want to be reliable.

Why do you think people are always so random each month with what they leak?

Also, I helped out with 3DS numbers a couple of months ago.

LOCK

If 3DS did 108k then that is about expected.

30k weekly in June vs. 27k weekly in July.

And Aqua, you work is appreciated. People need to be patient. This thread could last a month for example.

You saw what the NPD Ninjas did to Gamecrate / Newegg, right? I heard about the details of the situation. It was brutal.

I didn't. What happened?

jcm

Gracias. I can now post my monthly comps.

Year Over Year
Code:
         2014  2013 % Change
XB1       131             
360        54   107     -50%
PS4       187             
PS3        32    79     -59%
WIU        81    29     179%
WII        14    35     -60%
3DS       108   150     -28%
NDS              31  
PSV        17    16       6%
PSP               5    

Family                  
MSFT      185   107      73%
SONY      236   100     136%
NINT      203   245     -17%

HAND      125   202     -38%
CONSOLE   499   250     100%

Gen over Gen
Code:
Console  2014  2007 % Change
360             170     
PS2             222     
WII             425     
PS3             159     
TOTAL     499   976     -49%

Handheld 2014  2008 % Change
NDS             608     
PSP             222     
Total     125   830     -85%

Powerhouse™ vs the PSP and NDS
Code:
            3DS 2014  PSP 2008  NDS 2008
January           97       230       251
February         153       243       587
March            159       297       698
April            106       193       415
May               97       182       452
June             152       337       783
July             108       222       608
August                     253       518
September                  238       537
October                    193       491
November                   421      1570
December                  1020      3040

Through July     872      1704      3794

TOTAL                     3829      9950

I didn't. What happened?

Gamecrate (a random gaming site sponsored by Newegg) was inadvertently leaking March 2014 Top 10 SKUs + Revenues, April 2014 Top 10 SKUs + Revenues, May 2014 Top 10 SKUs + Revenues + Hardware comparison, and June 2014 Top 10 SKUs + Revenues + Hardware comparison + LTD Hardware comparison.

It was completely unknown for a couple of months until someone decided to share it on NeoGAF and it started to spread all across the Internet at a rapid pace.

Once it was spread to places like NeoGAF, NPD freaked out and immediately confronted Newegg about it. The articles went offline very quickly...and a bunch of other behind-the-scenes stuff happened too.

prag16

Banned

What did they do? Sue them? (EDIT: Just read above. Doesn't really sound "brutal" unless there was a lot more to the story.)

Also, couldn't they lurk this thread, and then try to shake down EviLore for contact/IP/etc info of certain posters? Why do they stop short of that? Do they find creamsugar's pie charts amusing?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
What did they do? Sue them? (EDIT: Just read above. Doesn't really sound "brutal" unless there was a lot more to the story.)

Also, couldn't they lurk this thread, and then try to shake down EviLore for contact/IP/etc info of certain posters? Why do they stop short of that? Do they find creamsugar's pie charts amusing?

Providing a pie chart percentage (leading to draw one's own conclusions - not the exact number) comparatively to a print screen of the actual NP data report is very different.

Ty4on

I believe TLOU PS3 sold far more in July than 5k. It charted out of nowhere in several PAL charts I believe plus it ranked at #29 in Amazon's July Bestsellers

I have however been wrong before.....

Seeing how frontloaded and how games fell of the charts in MC that seemed reasonable, but you were right that numbers weren't trivial.
Wow at 3DS. I had a feeling it did much worse
hoping it could save my bad predictions :p

I'm really grateful that we even get more than just PR stuff let alone info for all consoles and big titles. I try to be vague (don't be afraid to PM me if I'm too specific) to keep it this way and somehow these threads are much more fun than if everything got reported at once.

I half expect NPD to get rid of the top 10 in the future just as a final fuck you. Also it seems like 100k is the current bottom for the 3DS, which while not good, shows at least a pulse in that market.

I presume there are three facets to it...the first is that NeoGAF LLC isn[t liable for the contents of its posters. So unless requested by NPD (see the deletion of pre-2006 NPD threads) the site won't take the time to remove leaks. And NPD Group is under no authority to strongarm NeoGAF into disclosing IPs unless it's ordered by the court system.

The second? Sentimentality, I guess. Once upon a time, NPD used to voluntarily give NeoGAF hardware and Top 10 software units. Maybe tolerating leaks is the modern-day version of that?

The third? No leaker on NeoGAF goes overboard. NPD Group isn't excessively harmed by leaking hardware and a couple of software figures.

Now, reliably giving units + revenue figures every month can be pretty harmful...what Gamecrate was doing was definitely worse than any leaker on GAF.

prag16

Banned
Providing a pie chart percentage (leading to draw one's own conclusions - not the exact number) comparatively to a print screen of the actual NP data report is very different.

Not in practice, when the end result is not all that different. It just takes longer.

Scenario A: Nintendo gives some percentage via PR. Two hours later creamsugar posts a pie chart. People immediately come up with calculations. 1/2 hour later Harker or Aqua confirm relative accuracy. If any numbers are missing, one of them may state the last one a few hours later.

Scenario B: Somebody on gaf concisely posts all hardware numbers a little while after NPD PR starts coming out.

Why should NPD group be so much more livid about scenario A than scenario B? Sounds pretty illogical to me.

EDIT: Ah, ninja'd by aqua again.

Now, reliably giving units + revenue figures every month can be pretty harmful...what Gamecrate was doing was definitely worse than any leaker on GAF.

Sure, but how would say Harker for example coming in here at 8pm eastern time and providing a full list of hardware numbers be any worse than the end result arrived at anyway?

Summary of what happened? Did they get sued or something? Everytime you say ninjas I imagine actual ninjas beating up some clueless intern who was releasing the NPD numbers.

Maybe this has been gone over before, but why exactly is such simple data like hardware and software so expensive? I can understand detailed analysis that would be used for marketing firms, but for such simple (monthly which is even worse) data it seems really weird. Do the stores that NPD have a contract with charge them excessively?

It would be funny if some huge company that didn't give a fuck just started leaking data.

I really didn't mean it in the extent that you thought I did [assuming I understand your intent]

Unnatural in the specific rates of growth not in the overall market behavior. Looking at the data, YOY change for 2006 - 2008 was +19%, +44%, and +19% respectively for an average growth rate of ~27% across those three years. The largest average 3 year growth rate during PS2's period was ~16% from 2001 - 2003.

It appears to be unnatural to the generalized data within the confines of the chart as presented. If I had to try and interpret it on a larger level contextually I would probably say something along the lines that the Wii [and the NDS] managed to hit along a lot of the same demographics that the PS1 and PS2 managed to hit but and here's the important part of my thought process, the Wii did it in a much much shorter time period which to the best of my knowledge is entirely unusual for the console market of which the US retail revenue mostly consists of. The end result doesn't appear to be too unusual for the larger market until the notable decline due to another platform taking over but the growth rate in that time period is certainly a lot more condensed than I have ever seen before. I wouldn't be surprised though if the likes of that had been seen before during 3 year periods during the Atari to Nintendo transition in the 80's but I don't have that data.

Thanks for the help again John. I did well this month

Phades

I don't expect you to know this offhand, but I'm just throwing this out there.

What exactly is the quantity of difference between the general economic downturn 2008-2013 in terms of spending/growth versus what the video game industry experienced in the same time frame?

I'm guessing that the videogame industry outpaced the overall recession in general decline (there is/was other factors in play), but by how much and when specific periods of decline occurred in the same context I just don't know/have readily available information to compare against.

prag16

Banned
Maybe this has been gone over before, but why exactly is such simple data like hardware and software so expensive? I can understand detailed analysis that would be used for marketing firms, but for such simple (monthly which is even worse) data it seems really weird. Do the stores that NPD have a contract with charge them excessively?

Basically this. It doesn't seem to make sense. Hence the impetus for my last couple posts.

jcm

If 3DS did 108k then that is about expected.

30k weekly in June vs. 27k weekly in July.

Historically speaking, the MOM is fine, but the YOY is bad. Here's a comparison of 3DS vs PSP vs NDS for the comparable years:

Code:
                 3DS     PSP     NDS
June 07 or 13    225     290     561
July 07 or 13    150     214     405

June 08 or 14    152     337     783
July 08 or 14    108     222     608

First Year MOM  -17%     -8%    -10%
Second Year MOM -11%    -18%     -3%
June YOY        -32%     16%     40%
July YOY        -28%      4%     50%

The MOMs are adjusted for the 5 weeks of June. Based on the previous gen, July being weaker than June is to be expected, but both the PSP and 3DS were growing in 2008, not shrinking like the 3DS is.

Ty4on

Not in practice, when the end result is not all that different. It just takes longer.
It's not reliable. They have to keep refreshing a neogaf thread and get random numbers in the middle of the night. After all of that they're still missing numbers.

Monopoly.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Historically speaking, the MOM is fine, but the YOY is bad. Here's a comparison of 3DS vs PSP vs NDS for the comparable years:

Code:
                 3DS     PSP     NDS
June 07 or 13    225     290     561
July 07 or 13    150     214     405

June 08 or 14    152     337     783
July 08 or 14    108     222     608

First Year MOM  -17%     -8%    -10%
Second Year MOM -11%    -18%     -3%
June YOY        -32%     16%     40%
July YOY        -28%      4%     50%

The MOMs are adjusted for the 5 weeks of June. Based on the previous gen, July being weaker than June is to be expected, but both the PSP and 3DS were growing in 2008, not shrinking like the 3DS is.

I suppose July 2013 was still slightly influenced by Animal Crossing: New Leaf's June release and its bundles. July 2013 was a 14% increase compared to July 2012, so that should be counted as a factor, I suppose.

Thanks, mysterious saviour of the day.

Basically this. It doesn't seem to make sense. Hence the impetus for my last couple posts.

It's expensive data to track and collect, and I'm sure they pay money to retailers for their data as well. They want to sell that data to other companies and they cant if its publicly posted in gaming forums.

Even the monopoly reason doesn't seem to explain why they became so restrictive in regards to the top 10. It seems to me that anyone who actually is willing to pay the cash for those subscriptions would not be happy with just a top 10/hardware. It really just seems like they are assholes. Not only that NPD deals with a lot more than video game sales, so the removal of the top 10 (and not only that but making it combined) from a video game forum seems ridiculous.

Imru’ al-Qays;125963054 said:
Why did they stop?

I wasn't on GAF at the time, so I don't know.

If anybody from classic Sales-GAF wants to chime in, go ahead.

SonyCowboy was asked about it a couple of months ago...but he didn't really give an answer.

It would be funny if some huge company that didn't give a fuck just started leaking data.

Well, a massive part of their business is these simple numbers. So they're quite valuable...despite being simple numbers. When you have something so disposable simultaneously be so valuable...you have to protect it.

Its cost and harsh NDA provisions deter leaking.

Anybody who would seriously utilise the data to help make future, major business decisions...can afford the extravagant costs to acquire it and decide to make the investment regardless.

And, it helps increase the liability in the event of a data breach. You can keep tabs on all of your clients more easily.

Monopoly.

And yeah. They do it because they can.

Saty

Any chance getting the top 5 selling XB1+PS4 games since the consoles' launch? We know from the financial reports that Ghosts is #1 and NBA2K14 is #3.

It's not reliable. They have to keep refreshing a neogaf thread and get random numbers in the middle of the night. After all of that they're still missing numbers.

Monopoly.

As time passes, the amount of websites that leech off of NeoGAF and spread sensitive information around the Internet...decreases drastically.

Nobody cares about the late stages of an NPD thread...but all eyes are on NeoGAF right when it starts out.

Top Bottom