• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For July 2016

Welfare

Some retail software sales and additional hardware info also thanks to Aquamarine.

"1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 64k (excluding bundle units); 194k (including bundle units)
2. Minecraft > 175k (#1 without digital sales and bundles)
3. Grand Theft Auto V - 172k
4. Monster Hunter Generations > 165k
5. Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
6. LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
7. Overwatch - 135k
8. NBA 2K16 - 111k

Mirror's Edge Catalyst < 40k (99k in June; high digital shares contribute to its physical decline)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - "Significantly below 35k"
Kirby: Planet Robobot - "Legs were a LOT weaker than expected"
DOOM - "Declined significantly from June"
MLB The Show 16 > 60k"

" Call of Duty: Black Ops III 500GB PS4 Bundle ($350) - ~130k
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End 500GB PS4 Bundle ($370) < 30k

1. XBO 500GB Name Your Game Bundle ($250)
2. XBO 1TB Tom Clancy's The Division Bundle ($300)
3. XBO 500GB Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle ($240) - 36k"

bill0527

GTA V, a 3 year old game and 3DS, a 5 year old handheld taking the spots. It feels surreal I tell you.

This is an indictment for just how shitty the software situation is for both PS4 and Xbox One. While certainly each respective system has its own hit titles and franchises, all they are really doing is playing to their built in audience. This generation has been abysmal for anything groundbreaking or a must-have system-selling exclusive title. Maybe it's old man yelling at the clouds here but for me this is the worst generation I've seen for software and I've been part of every console generation since 1979.

Ridley327

Some retail software sales and additional hardware info also thanks to Aquamarine.

"1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 64k (excluding bundle units); 194k (including bundle units)
2. Minecraft > 175k (#1 without digital sales and bundles)
3. Grand Theft Auto V - 172k
4. Monster Hunter Generations > 165k
5. Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
6. LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
7. Overwatch - 135k
8. NBA 2K16 - 111k

Mirror's Edge Catalyst < 40k (99k in June; high digital shares contribute to its physical decline)
DOOM - "Declined significantly from June"
MLB The Show 16 > 60k"

" Call of Duty: Black Ops III 500GB PS4 Bundle ($350) - ~130k
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End 500GB PS4 Bundle ($370) < 30k

1. XBO 500GB Name Your Game Bundle ($250)
2. XBO 1TB Tom Clancy's The Division Bundle ($300)
3. XBO 500GB Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle ($240) - 36k"

Did we ever find out what TMS did in June? It only had one week, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of its sales were made then.

I'd also be curious to see what SO5 did in both months, since the WOM has been super bad on it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Bah.

Those drops are brutal and I'm not seeing how PS Neo is going to do anything to turn things around long-term.

It's probably the weakest month of the year and the drops weren't that bad.

A price drop, slim model, and content like Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, CoD....sales will be good this holiday season.

Welfare

Did we ever find out what TMS did in June? It only had one week, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of its sales were made then.

Thanks to Aquamarine.

"Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is above that 30K benchmark, but not significantly (aka. it's not >100K or anything like that). So it's in the 30-80K range in its first month...that sort of area.
Tepid sales in the overall market, but can you really expect anything better from a niche JRPG releasing on a dead console at retail? At least it didn't COMPLETELY bomb retail-wise. Digital share should also be high for this kind of title."

I think we determined it was around 50k.

PS4 lost two months in a row. Looks like the neo and Scorpio announcements hurt the ps4 sales lol

I'd imagine it's more the Xbox Fire Sale rather than the Neo or Scorpio announcements.

Lol, no, you are both confused. PS4 won June. Xbox One won July. This is just updated software sales data from July.

This thread saying the Xbox One won July, is just the same info we had a few weeks ago when NPD just shared hardware sales data. August sales data hasn't been released, and wont for a few weeks. Then, Xbox One could have its two month winning streak if it outsells PS4 again!

Welfare

I will never understand the level of success GTA V has

Bringing another perma'd member in here
:(

Daniel Ahmad
&#8207;@ZhugeEX
Reason why GTAV continues to sell well in the US is because people are buying the game when they buy a new console.

CqgCDpQWEAAZ_7t.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's probably the weakest month of the year and the drops weren't that bad.

A price drop, slim model, and content like Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, CoD....sales will be good this holiday season.

Hardware sales have been down YoY every single month this year.

Game sales have been down 5 out of 7 months (outside of Uncharted 4 and a random month early in the year). Digital sales increases may play a role here, but I'm not sure how much.

Bruno MB

This was a terrible month for hardware sales.

The leading system of this generation barely outsells what the by then 8 year old PlayStation 2 sold in July 2008. In fact, in that month Nintendo DS sold more units than what all systems combined (console + portable) have sold during the same month in 2016.

Code:
[B]NPD July 2008[/B]

Nintendo DS - 608,000
PlayStation 2 - 155,000

Bonus:

PlayStation Portable - 222,000

It is crazy how it looks like we are already at the end of what used to be a normal generation. In 2017 we will have new hardware for every of the 3 big competitors: Nintendo NX, PlayStation Neo and Xbox Project Scorpio.

Game sales have been down 5 out of 7 months (outside of Uncharted 4 and a random month early in the year).

What could be the cause? Perceived or actual lack of interesting software? General contraction of the video game industry?

Game sales have been down 5 out of 7 months (outside of Uncharted 4 and a random month early in the year). Digital sales increases may play a role here, but I'm not sure how much.

This is a pretty natural decline though, and nothing that won't be remedied with price cuts and content.

There's a reason we're getting mid-gen console upgrades.

Yep.

And we are in year 4 of the cycle for ms and Sony, pretty typical for YoY declines in hw to start happening. The mid cycle upgrade should actually help with this cyclicality.

The really important part for gamers is that release counts and software sales have stabilized the last two years and this year should be similar.

The times of double digit percentage declines in release count and software revenues from year to year are over.

If the NX can be moderately successful, and if Scorpio can do anything, the market should get back to moderate growth for the physical market for both hw and sw starting in 2017.

If that happens, we should start seeing more investment into development and more new IP/riskier bets in the AAA space. That would be great to see.

Tapejara

Great to see R6 Siege in the top 10. Guess word of mouth and the Skull Rain update helped.

Other than that the top 10 isn't too surprising.

What could be the cause? Perceived or actual lack of interesting software? General contraction of the video game industry?

Physical software sales and new release count correlate at a 97% clip over the past 5 years.

I believe that a lack of software is holding the physical market and hw market back a bit.

It's not general gaming contraction. Including all other areas of spend, we still see annual growth in total spend.

Vena

Physical software sales and new release count correlate at a 97% clip over the past 5 years.

I believe that a lack of software is holding the physical market and hw market back a bit.

It's not general gaming contraction. Including all other areas of spend, we still see annual growth in total spend.

You have no avatar!?! Who are you and what have you done to the cheese!

Thanks to Aquamarine.

"Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is above that 30K benchmark, but not significantly (aka. it's not >100K or anything like that). So it's in the 30-80K range in its first month...that sort of area.
Tepid sales in the overall market, but can you really expect anything better from a niche JRPG releasing on a dead console at retail? At least it didn't COMPLETELY bomb retail-wise. Digital share should also be high for this kind of title."

Did she share any news on Xenoblade X sales numbers?

Ridley327

Thanks to Aquamarine.

Seems kinda OK, all things considered.

Maxinas

Thanks to Aquamarine.

So possibly ~50k first week, ~25k july = ~75k total in the US (not including digital sales i guess?). Overall not bad if the numbers are around 70k tbh. It was never going to sell gangbusters, but at least a good number of people tried it out and hopefully enjoyed it, i know i did.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I wonder if Microsoft can build some momentum based off the July/August (expected) "wins" leading into the Slim/Neo/PSVR launches.

The S seems like a genuinely good product (I won't know until October) and with a nice game library and some marketing they could start to turn it around in the US.

Branduil

I think the complete lack of affordable consoles is really hurting the market. No one has serviced the $200-and-below market in years.

jetsetrez

I've got to imagine the majority of Overwatch sales are Bnet sales, too, so its performance at retail is pretty impressive.

This is an indictment for just how shitty the software situation is for both PS4 and Xbox One. While certainly each respective system has its own hit titles and franchises, all they are really doing is playing to their built in audience. This generation has been abysmal for anything groundbreaking or a must-have system-selling exclusive title. Maybe it's old man yelling at the clouds here but for me this is the worst generation I've seen for software and I've been part of every console generation since 1979.
Agreed, though around 1990 for me.

Bruno MB

Thanks to Aquamarine.

For comparison's sake, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn sold 53,000 units in its first month, it didn't significantly outperform Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. No wonder that at one point the franchise was in danger and that there hasn't been another mainline entry on home consoles.

border

Can't believe the ASP of XBOX1 is like $90 ish dollars less than PS4.

Presumably because a bunch of the old systems were marked down in order to clear inventory for the new S models.

Things will probably even out when Sony launches the PS4 Slim/Neo.

Trusay, this gen has been horrible, so bad that I still spend most of my time on last gen games nowadays.

Sterok

I'm amused that between leaks and PR the official NPD statement is basically useless to us.

Lack of software is the real killer that's cutting the legs of hardware short. I don't think the revisions will do much to prevent that if there isn't an increase in quantity and variety of software. The 3DS got a nice boost thanks to the New 3DS, but the lackluster software situation couldn't stop the decline. The Neo will obviously have higher numbers and an overall better situation than the 3DS, but in the long run I don't think it'll do much aside from a nice boost for a few months. Which is fine for Sony since their situation is perfectly healthy. But if there is going to be growth in home consoles I doubt revisions are the solution.

Would like to be wrong though. Higher numbers are always more fun to see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A quick search shows she is now in a better place. She is able to share a little bit of info, and the NPD poster was legit.

I have no idea when people here got the impression that this was a gossip chat room, but it isn't. In case it wasn't clear from our "one user, one account" policy, we do not allow banned posters to re-register, and thus we do not allow current posters to act as proxy reposters for banned users. In addition, the site being cross-linked from is part of a banned site (which is why no one is posting links to it).

Looking through search results, it seems this has been pretty much constant since his/her previous account was banned. This is not welcome.

As a comment on NDP_Mulcair: This account was registered by someone purporting to be George Terhanian, President and Chief of Research for NPD under the username NPD_George. The first red flag was that the user was registering using a disposable email from an ISP rather than a work email. We quickly used the same forensics we use on other purported celebrity accounts and determined that the account was not who they said they were. We do not make public the information we use to do this kind of verification.

We verify accounts like this because GAF is a big site and many people have done celebrity impersonation attempts, including most recently a user banned for claiming to be Ronda Rousey, but also notably Zelda Williams (including roleplaying being upset about her Dad passing) and Aisha Tyler (the current Aisha Tyler account is the real deal). Once we determined that NPD_George was not who they said they were, we renamed the account to another name to mitigate the risk of celebrity impersonation. It is worth noting that the user in question did not express any confusion or contact any of us at the time.

The user in question continued to post. We applied further forensics and determined the account was being used by a previously banned user. As a result, we banned the user for circumventing a previous permanent ban. The user responsible for the account had been previously banned several times for creating accounts to circumvent previous bans. We often apply a little bit of flexibility and leeway when it comes to, for example, people banned a decade ago and reformed (in this thread alone, Square2015 is Square2005! Surprise!), but a serial re-registerer who keeps getting on our radar clearly has no intention to obey the rules, and thus they are removed. Again, our ability to detect alt accounts is fairly sophisticated and gets better all the time. It's not perfect, and it's not immediate, but it's also not stupid. We aren't idiots. And in point of fact, even without any of the forensics, it is typically not difficult -- many if not most of our alternate account detections come from ordinary users observing that someone is plainly an alternate account.

If due to some cosmically unlikely coincidence the actual George Terhanian was banned from NeoGAF, I invite them to contact support@neogaf.com from their NPD email and ask to be unbanned when he certifies his identity. We would be happy to have the real George Terhanian as a poster here.

We invite posters to continue posting reliably sourced information that they find online. Recognizing that many people banned from GAF are original sources of information, it is probably impossible to prevent useful information being posted just because it is from a tainted source, but gossip about a previously banned member should not be the primary subject of the NPD threads, and if it is going to be, we will simply not have NPD threads.

Top Bottom