• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

Speevy

Banned
Since we have the Zoolander Nintendo crew rocking out in the car, can someone make one of 3 Sony guys dousing themselves in gasoline?

:D

laserbeam

Banned
Speevy said:
Since we have the Zoolander Nintendo crew rocking out in the car, can someone make one of 3 Sony guys dousing themselves in gasoline?

:D

lol im trying to decide what would be good music for a sony one. that nintendo music is too catchy and cheery for its own good lol

Speevy said:
heliosRAzi said:
Whatever it is, just have Kutaragi lighting the cigarette.
On both accounts I was thinking along the same lines. However, I'm not so great at the manipulation. Unfortunately not all of you out there have your own copy of Zoolander, so I have put up an ~8 MB source GIF of that bit to play with.

donny2112

jimbo said:
Will the graph people care to explain to everyone how come the 360 which was estimated to be around 8.5 million LTD SOLD in January of 07 STILL hasn't crossed 10 million according to you guys, after 6 months?

I have it at 7.7 million at the end of 2006.

End of 2006 (known):

U.S. - 4.5 million
Japan - 265K
Canada - 310K

Total - 5.1 million

Most estimates I saw for PAL/Other had the 360 at 2.5 - 3 million at the end of 2006

jimbo said:
What are you guys basing these wonderfull world wide sales estimates on that for some reason seem to go up every month for everything except the 360?

The 360 has outsold the PS3 by only about 0.2 million for the U.S. + Canada + Japan this year (PS3 is ahead for the year including my guesstimated PAL/Other figures), so I think you mean that the Wii is going up much faster than both the 360 and PS3. It isn't that the 360 is getting singled out. Sales are sluggish for it and the PS3 outside of the PS3's PAL launch.

a.wd said:
Syth_Blade22 said:
It's with this post i've just realized. I no longer play games. I no longer discuss games. I just read sales charts.
we grew up from gaming kids to become...gaming analysts....not even gaming reviewers...industry analysts...

when I became a man, I put away childish things.

:lol
I still play games. :( ;)

Before NPD was released, the SimExchange announced that they would be getting some software numbers directly from NPD for 10 certain games so that they could trade on them and get accurate results. They used to use VG-youknowwhat for software data, so maybe this was a compromise. Here are their unique numbers from NPD.

Transformers: The Game (PS2) Activision 109.2K
Transformers: The Game (Xbox 360) Activision 93.3K
Big Brain Academy (Wii) Nintendo 89.8K
The Darkness (PS3) Take-Two 51.8K
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (PS2) Electronic Arts 30.0K
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Xbox 360) Electronic Arts 15.0K

My question is if we (NeoGAF) can do something similar. Maybe we can do a top 10 software prediction thread starting two weeks before NPD's release that ends one week before NPD release (when the hardware predictions begin), and we could request numbers for those ten games to see who won.

EvilLore, sonycowboy,

Is that something we could do with NPD?

GhaleonEB

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I still don't understand the deal between NPD and Neogaf. Why do NPD care about fans discussing about data sales ?
They don't, as long as we are discussing publicly disclosed data. NPD generates very detailed reports and data sets, and then sells that information to clients. That is their business model. For a long while, their for-sale data was available for free on GAF. They were grouchy, and understandably so.

ZeoVGM

Banned
omg rite said:
Hey, here's a question for EviLore or someone.

Back when GAF made the "deal" or whatever it was with NPD, I'm almost positive I remember one of the mods posting that this means every month we would get numbers for each system, including LTDs for the systems. Yet there's no GBA, which is still interesting to look at. (Having Xbox and GC would be cool, but they're a non factor now, so whatever.)

I don't remember what was said about software, but how come we have numbers for only the top 8 out of the top 20?

So what's up with all that? j/w

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171093

For example, we got full May numbers. top 10 numbers, and numbers for GBA, GC, and Xbox. No LTD though.

Since someone bumped this, I figured I would ask again.

I'm sure a mod will read this. Can you explain what happened with that?

GhaleonEB said:
They don't, as long as we are discussing publicly disclosed data. NPD generates very detailed reports and data sets, and then sells that information to clients. That is their business model. For a long while, their for-sale data was available for free on GAF. They were grouchy, and understandably so.

Ok. Now it's clear. Thanks !

Just wondering, are we ever going to get the remainder of these NPD numbers? Most notably the PS2 and GBA which still may be interesting to track?

Bo130

Earthstrike said:
Just wondering, are we ever going to get the remainder of these NPD numbers? Most notably the PS2 and GBA which still may be interesting to track?

Didn't we get them? Please don't ban if we didn't and these somehow are illegal to post for me...

PlayStation 2 - 270,760
Game Boy Advance - 113,870

Before NPD was released, the SimExchange announced that they would be getting some software numbers directly from NPD for 10 certain games so that they could trade on them and get accurate results. They used to use VG-youknowwhat for software data, so maybe this was a compromise. Here are their unique numbers from NPD.

I am the founder of the simExchange. I just wanted to clarify: ever since we launched trading of futures contracts to forecast console hardware and game software sales, we have settled the contracts based on the NPD Group's numbers. Players on the simExchange may discuss game sales in the forums using other data sources, but the simExchange has never used any data source other than NPD for the purpose of settling contracts.

We allow players to forecast the sales of 10 software SKUs for each retail month. The reason NPD Group provides us the figures for these 10 software SKUs is to ensure we can settle our futures contracts each month at the true value of the contract.

To explain how this works: Players buy and sell futures contracts using virtual money to make forecasts. A future for a game is priced at 10 DKP, meaning forecasting 100,000 copies will be sold in the month. If the player believes the game will actually sell more, like 120,000 copies, he would buy the future at any price below 12 DKP (120,000 copies). At the end of the month, the contracts are settled against the game's of sales. Say the result was actually 115,000 copies (11.5 DKP). The players contracts are now worth 11.5 DKP and he is paid 11.5 DKP per contract. If we didn't have the data, we couldn't settle the contract.

Note: All trading on the simExchange uses virtual currency. No real money is involved.

GDGF

Soothsayer
KultofCows said:
I am the founder of the simExchange. I just wanted to clarify: ever since we launched trading of futures contracts to forecast console hardware and game software sales, we have settled the contracts based on the NPD Group's numbers. Players on the simExchange may discuss game sales in the forums using other data sources, but the simExchange has never used any data source other than NPD for the purpose of settling contracts.

We allow players to forecast the sales of 10 software SKUs for each retail month. The reason NPD Group provides us the figures for these 10 software SKUs is to ensure we can settle our futures contracts each month at the true value of the contract.

To explain how this works: Players buy and sell futures contracts using virtual money to make forecasts. A future for a game is priced at 10 DKP, meaning forecasting 100,000 copies will be sold in the month. If the player believes the game will actually sell more, like 120,000 copies, he would buy the future at any price below 12 DKP (120,000 copies). At the end of the month, the contracts are settled against the game's of sales. Say the result was actually 115,000 copies (11.5 DKP). The players contracts are now worth 11.5 DKP and he is paid 11.5 DKP per contract. If we didn't have the data, we couldn't settle the contract.

Note: All trading on the simExchange uses virtual currency. No real money is involved.

Cool cool. But you'd be better of posting this in the newer NPD topic :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183381&highlight=july+npd

EviLore said:
Source: NPD

Wii -- 381.8k
DS -- 561.9k

20070829-Mumu.jpg

KultofCows said:

Wait, NPD provides you top 10 SKU's for free? How?

Top Bottom