• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

damisa

what i got

jqz8k73hsOoeb.jpg

Looks good to me

I'm confused wasn't this supposed to be the xbone's time to shine? Or Is that next month?

Why would it? Being at price parity for 2/3 the month with no major exclusives?

It did what should have been expected - get closer to the PS4 but remain stuck in a clear 2nd place.

joecanada

I don't even think it is that to be honest. Simply put, consumers hear one machine is more powerful than the other and you are paying the same price, why would they (unless they have a big love for a specific IP that can only be found on the xbox) go to the weaker console. Whether we like it or not as Gaffers, most people play 3r'd party games, they are the big ones that sell a lot more than console exclusives. People will play them on whatever machine they can, and if two competing machines are the same price but all the consumer knows is one is actually more powerful, in their mind they just go "why would I buy a weaker machine".

I thought this was common knowledge by now. Every one of my friends who bought ps4 this spring bought bf4 first... (how bf4 actually performs is of course a seperate story)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How do we know which is which? It's not labeled.
The biggest one is PS4 because it's the best selling one this month. The second biggest one is Xbone because it more than twice that of last month which is higher than Wii U.

So what do we think about the Wii U's sales and the race to 2nd place? I remember people claiming the Wii U would beat the Xbox this month, and continue the trend by selling well each month. I don't see the Wii U selling nearly as well next month, it'll probably dip to a little above it's regular numbers until the next big game releases. This was a pretty barren month for Xbox, regardless of price cut.

flohen95

I think the graph could be showing sales of the console "families" (PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, Wii/U). Either that or MS understated, which I'd say is highly unlikely.
Though the graph could be anything really.

So are the Nintendo numbers really good or just good for Wii U? It honestly seems low to me, especially in the month where Nintendo releases what has become their biggest IP. Hard to imagine Smash Bros or even Zelda doing more for the console than Mario Kart can. I guess it's all about sustainability. Will be interesting to see how it does the next couple of months.

They certainly aren't really good in a vacuum. I think they'll have another price cut by the end of the year to 250 and have a smash bundle. There is no recovery. All in all I think mario kart is doing decently though

So are the Nintendo numbers really good or just good for Wii U? It honestly seems low to me, especially in the month where Nintendo releases what has become their biggest IP. Hard to imagine Smash Bros or even Zelda doing more for the console than Mario Kart can. I guess it's all about sustainability. Will be interesting to see how it does the next couple of months.

I think people are vastly overstating how good the Wii U number is. Reading this thread you would think that the Wii U has bounced back to relevancy while obituary's are being written for the Xbox One

I need a breakdown of how the PS4 is still selling this well. Does the mass market still think the Xbox is a DRM machine?

Momentum. The ludicrous amount of missteps and PR debacles which embroiled the Xbone project last year allowed Sony to claim a monopoly on most of the excitement around next-gen.

People will tell you the console business is a not a race but a marathon, and they're right in the sense that a console can be revitalised throughout its lifetime. However, having an early advantage and establishing yourself first as the de facto console for a respective generation (where most of your customer's friends are) is absolutely crucial to achieve that runaway snowball of sales that we've seen with the most successful consoles in history.

javac

...You're joking, right? I hope you're joking.

Wasn't PSP at around 9.1Million in the US by the end of March 2007? That was around 2 years since it launched in the US. Vita came out about 2 years ago too right? 3DS reached 11.5Million in January this year. I wonder where Vita is.

I thought Microsoft only said it doubled sales MoM. Nintendo said it tripled sales YoY.

Do we have anything to base Microsofts numbers on?

We know how well it sold in May (77k.) We have multiple people in this thread claiming it doubled up on May sales. All we know is n > 154.

AniHawk

Wasn't PSP at around 9.1Million in the US by the end of March 2007? That was around 2 years since it launched in the US. Vita came out about 2 years ago too right? 3DS reached 11.5Million in January this year. I wonder where Vita is.

vita's around 1.8m in the us.

Elios83

I thought Microsoft only said it doubled sales MoM. We got no Microsoft numbers last month. Nintendo said it tripled sales YoY.

Do we have anything to base Microsofts numbers on?

We know the Wii U raw number (140k) thanks to Nintendo's YOY growth statment and the relative percentages for the three platforms through the graph, nothing else is needed.

Not gonna lie, it's weird having an NPD thread without half the posts going "console sales are slightly lower than they were at the equivalent point in last cycle OMG CONSOLE GAMING IS DOOMED nevermind the fact that we're still at record high LTD sales."

rekameohs

Banned
It's decent, though obviously not really "good". Mario Kart usually has fantastic legs, so we'll have to see what the drop is over the next couple of months.

gtj1092

The assertion that people should be buying x1's and are settling for ps4s is so annoying. If people just didn't want xb1 they wouldn't automatically buy ps4s. Why is it surprising the system with the best price that is more powerful and has the most games is selling the best.

Top Bottom