I don't see much passion for mobile game numbers and passion is what makes things engaging.
How is it that this data stays under wraps as well as it does? Considering the level of interest, were it any other context, I would have expected a leak of the full report almost immediately. Does NPD have the smallest circulation ever or is there another reason?
June retail game sales are down 22% year over year.
Hardware was down 42% year over year.
Console and Handheld game sales were down 20% year over year.
Physical and Steam PC software sales were down 20% year over year.
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Doom 2016**
- Mirrors Edge: Catalyst
- Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End**
- NBA 2K16
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
- Destiny: The Taken King
- *No Battle.net sales
**No digital sales
- This is a revenue ranking. Previous threads were unit rankings.
- Poor comparisons for new launches were a major reason for the software sales decline seen this June, said Callahan. June 2016 launches decreased 67 percent, translating to 1.8 million fewer units, and nearly $114 million fewer dollars.
- Specifically, the top new launch of June 2015 was Batman: Arkham Knight, which sold over five times the amount of unit and dollar sales generated by the top June 2016 new launch, Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens, said Callahan.
- May 2016 launches sold 84 percent more in June compared to May 2015 launches last June, when looking at dollar sales. April launches fared poorly due to a comparison to the performance of April 2015 launches like Mortal Kombat X with a drop of 70 percent in June sales.
PS4: #1 platform
- Declines in average prices by 15 percent, coupled with a 32 percent decline in units resulted in hardware spending totaling $181 million, a 42 percent decrease versus last June, the NPD analyst explained. [Current-generation] hardware, the primary driver of this decrease, saw sales decline 43 percent, or $117 million.
- After 32 months since the launches of the PS4 and Xbox One, the combined cumulative hardware sales for these two consoles exceed the sales of their predecessors by 40 percent at the same point in their lifecycles, said Callahan.
Wow...Minecraft 10th based on physical sales alone?
Prediction thread has all leaked info.
Would it actually be safe to post that info in here? It's still the normal leaks we usually get.
Just here to pay my respects, rip npd thread. Once a great source of excitement and now a shadow of it's former self.