• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2016 (new format, read OP)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall:

June retail game sales are down 22% year over year.

Hardware was down 42% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were down 20% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales were down 20% year over year.

Software:

1. Overwatch*
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  4. Doom 2016**
  5. Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst
  6. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End**
  7. NBA 2K16
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  9. Destiny: The Taken King
  10. Minecraft**
  • *No Battle.net sales
    **No digital sales
Notes:
- This is a revenue ranking. Previous threads were unit rankings.
- “Poor comparisons for new launches were a major reason for the software sales decline seen this June,” said Callahan. “June 2016 launches decreased 67 percent, translating to 1.8 million fewer units, and nearly $114 million fewer dollars.”
- “Specifically, the top new launch of June 2015 was Batman: Arkham Knight, which sold over five times the amount of unit and dollar sales generated by the top June 2016 new launch, Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” said Callahan.
- “May 2016 launches sold 84 percent more in June compared to May 2015 launches last June, when looking at dollar sales. April launches fared poorly due to a comparison to the performance of April 2015 launches like Mortal Kombat X with a drop of 70 percent in June sales.”

Hardware:

PS4: #1 platform

Notes:
- “Declines in average prices by 15 percent, coupled with a 32 percent decline in units resulted in hardware spending totaling $181 million, a 42 percent decrease versus last June,” the NPD analyst explained. “[Current-generation] hardware, the primary driver of this decrease, saw sales decline 43 percent, or $117 million.”
- “After 32 months since the launches of the PS4 and Xbox One, the combined cumulative hardware sales for these two consoles exceed the sales of their predecessors by 40 percent at the same point in their lifecycles,” said Callahan.

Other Info:

Akai__

Revenue ranking. GTA 5 making an other 500 Million US$ at this rate. It's just insane.

Good to see Mirrors Edge on there, too.

FelipeMGM

Wrong Wrong Wrong

EDIT: Source for the TOP10 with no digital was Zhuge, but cant find his tweet about it anymore...

UberTag

Revenue rankings now? So long non-AAA representation outside of mega blockbusters like Minecraft.
I suppose this won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

TI82

Banned
So Overwatch brought in the most revenue not counting digital or even the PC versions? That's insanity

Lkr

Who doesn't have GTA5 at this point? That is the biggest mystery to me lol. I want to get it on PC but the best sale has still been $30 on steam. Not worth it IMO because I already bought it on 360 and xbone

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Who doesn't have GTA5 at this point? That is the biggest mystery to me lol. I want to get it on PC but the best sale has still been $30 on steam. Not worth it IMO because I already bought it on 360 and xbone

All the people who just bought a console.

Nyoro SF

Looks like the NPD shakeup did little to bring anything new to light. Revenue and not unit just shuffled the top 10.
Actually looking at it, I'm shocked at Doom being so high without digital.

And since cream went kaput and ran out of sugar for his coffee, we have no idea for sales of:
Xrd Revelator
Valkyria Chronicles Remaster
Trails of Cold Steel

Being in the dark is the worst...

Now ranking on revenue. Cool. Also this being the first with digital is a milestone for the industry & its transparency!

Overwatch with those legs for this sumber so far. Nice.

Also seeing Destiny on this list almost a year after release warms my heart, even though I stopped playing months ago.

Lastly, GTA is unstoppable. I bet Rockstar is waiting patiently for sales to dip a bit to even consider releasing story DLC!

qko

Revenue rankings now? So long non-AAA representation outside of mega blockbusters like Minecraft.
I suppose this won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Ugh gross, so if a 3DS game sold 150k games at $40, but a console game at $60 sold 110k, the $60 is higher in the sales chart?

DudeDaftPunk

Neo Member
I fully except GTA V to be on every NPD from here till the holidays.

I'm just wondering why haven't they dropped single-player dlc. It would most definitely make them back 20x's what they spent on it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
They took away overall sales.

Then they only gave us the top ten.

Then they combined SKUs

Now revenue instead of units

Seriously, what a sad downwards spiral has NPD become.

Square2015

Only Revenue ranking now?

This makes not so shy about posting full top 50 NPD data for the past FOUR generations covering months January thru June! ...I'll do it! I'll do it!

Overwatch being #1 despite not launching in that month and PC sales (which probably made up a significantly higher portion of total sales than the average multiplat given the genre/company) being excluded is kind of insane. But then again it was a pretty light month, I suppose.

pswii60

They took away overall sales.

Then they only gave us the top ten.

Then they combined SKUs.

Seriously, what a sad downwards spiral has NPD become.
Yeah I really miss the old days.

Sadly the downward spiral doesn't just apply to the reporting methods, but also the overall console and videogame sales too. Depressing.

Overwatch with no digital sales, the game is doing quite well because I believe that game sold more digital than retail.

Still, a top 10 chart with a mix of retail only or digital included is quite useless but I imagine it is hard to get those numbers from every publisher as they mostly see no reason to share it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ugh gross, so if a 3DS game sold 150k games at $40, but a console game at $60 sold 110k, the $60 is higher in the sales chart?

Yes, though as it stands it's not clear how much longer handheld titles will be discount games anyway.

UberTag

Yeah, 3DS game launches will be impacted the most by this given their lower retail entry gate. Pokemon should still show up later this year but not much else will.
Our ever-helpful SKU rankings for multi-platform titles are now gone as well.
I haven't seen this much masking and obfuscating of data since the latest CSGo lottery scandal thread.
Some games have digital sales factored in and others don't for no rhyme or reason. How delightful!

NPD has now fully become a joke .
This data is not much help but then again most sales people normal wait for leaks .
To get a better idea so i guess that will become even more important now.

LordRaptor

Do the Lego games release at a budget (comparative) price point in the US?
If yes, presumably Lego Star Wars Again had really solid sales to show so high on a revenue chart, OT grumbling about awful new format aside

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What I don't get is didn't they do revenue before but not in a top ten format?

Why not both?

Sterok

Well, I hope our leakers stay around for a long time, because now we can't even get good rankings on what sold the most. I'm mostly irritated because this makes it nearly impossible for 3DS games to chart, and cheaper games not named Minecraft will need a miracle to appear.

jett

D-Member
It's a real fucking shame NPD doesn't have any competition.

Anyway.

That's a surprising position for Mirror's Edge, but it probably means <200k.

Conduit

Banned
Great, it's new NPD thread! And.....

tS44xNO.gif

Top Bottom