• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2016 (new format, read OP)

I dont understand... give me the old format... someone halp

No its not, because now every time I visit my soul dies a little more from the disappointment of how far NPD threads have fallen over the last 5 years.

If they just stopped releasing the info, I would no longer click the threads, and my soul would continue.

Remember the time where a new NPD just made insane numbers of pages of posts and you couldnt read them all?

I wonder if that ever comes back.

And of course NPD misses the Pokemon Go phenomena, since er...I guess its not a game or something? Like all of mobile...

Although I think rankings should take both sales and revenue into account, I like the change. It was incorrect for a cheaper games to be equated 1 for 1 with more expensive games for the simple reason that if those more expensive games were sold for less they would sell more too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Revenue ranking?

Welp, goodbye 3DS games in the top 10 :/

Glad to see Mirror's Edge on there, though. Sequel, please? I loved it.

Hardware absolutely tanking isn't a good scene, either.

Gurish

NPD threads won't be as popular with this new format, it sucks and lack the fun and excitement of a proper top 10 and top console sales with units and all, shame.

Bye NPD, it was a pleasure while it lasted.

UberTag

So.....yeah. lol. I guess it's better than nothing?
I think I'd rather have nothing than revenue ranks artificially inflated because GTA V sold a bunch of shark cash cards during the month.

And of course NPD misses the Pokemon Go phenomena, since er...I guess its not a game or something? Like all of mobile...
To be fair, the Go craze didn't take off until July. But your point stands. It won't be there next month, either. GTA V will be, though.

Hardware absolutely tanking isn't a good scene, either.
Doesn't help when none of the existing platforms have hit the sub-$200 price point that casuals flock to and all of the enthusiasts that will spend more either already have what they want or know that something better from Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft is right around the corner.

Damn, I was hoping they got rid of reporting this shit altogether. I hate seeing these threads and all the cheerleading and bickering. The useless banter, became stale in 2011.

Gurish

Damn, I was hoping they got rid of reporting this shit altogether. I hate seeing these threads and all the cheerleading and bickering. The useless banter, became stale in 2011.

Well no one forced you to enter them, most of us liked them and some of the NPD threads were truly legendary here on GAF, doesn't matter though as this format kills most of the interest anyway so I guess you got what you wish for.

Fdkn

I'm not sure what's the point to even subscribe to this thread lol, there's nothing to discuss about that 'data' and most of the stuff got leaked a week ago

Since they are counting revenue now, and including digital data, does this then include digital revenue gained from microtransactions and season passes?

I miss the good old days. Also those drops YoY are mildly alarming.

No they're not. Like, at all. Last June had Batman: Arkham Knight and the 1TB Xbox One. This June had Jack and shit, and Jack left town. 2015 June was the fourth best non-holiday month for PS4. 3rd best for Xbox One. And both consoles VASTLY outsold what they did in June 2014. It's the summer drought, nothing more. And this June's summer drought was a damn sight better than June 2014.

This isn't directed specifically at you, but sometimes I wish NPD would just go away forever. There'd be no more ridiculous hyperbole about the industry dying or consoles being doomed or any of that nonsense.

thefro

NPD needs some legit competition if they're going to restrict their public data this much.

One would think if Famitsu can have their own sales data in Japan that another company could do the same here.

Seriously. Fuck this.

Sales age gaf was one of the best things about this place when I joined. This destruction of it over the past 4 years is just sad.

Xilium

I actually don't mind having revenue rankings as I imagine that's the more import number to publishers and the longevity of an IP. It would be even better if we could get development cost as well but that doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen.

The partial info on digital sales is disappointing but hopefully that will get better with time.

J_Viper

Great, it's new NPD thread! And.....

tS44xNO.gif

Never before has this been used more appropriately

I'm not even disappointed, just sad.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Who doesn't have GTA5 at this point? That is the biggest mystery to me lol. I want to get it on PC but the best sale has still been $30 on steam. Not worth it IMO because I already bought it on 360 and xbone

There are many kids who are now turning 17 and are now able to buy the game they were denied when they were younger.

Leb

No they're not. Like, at all. Last June had Batman: Arkham Knight and the 1TB Xbox One. This June had Jack and shit, and Jack left town. 2015 June was the fourth best non-holiday month for PS4. 3rd best for Xbox One. And both consoles VASTLY outsold what they did in June 2014. It's the summer drought, nothing more. And this June's summer drought was a damn sight better than June 2014.

This isn't directed specifically at you, but sometimes I wish NPD would just go away forever. There'd be no more ridiculous hyperbole about the industry dying or consoles being doomed or any of that nonsense.

Agreed. As a strong Trump supporter and a long-time proponent of Southern exceptionalism, I understand that data analytics represents perhaps the single greatest threat to our national polity since the 2017 dissolution of NATO.

Top Bottom