• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2016 (new format, read OP)

Looks like the NPD shakeup did little to bring anything new to light. Revenue and not unit just shuffled the top 10.
Actually looking at it, I'm shocked at Doom being so high without digital.

And since cream went kaput and ran out of sugar for his coffee, we have no idea for sales of:
Xrd Revelator
Valkyria Chronicles Remaster
Trails of Cold Steel

Being in the dark is the worst...

Well, given the metric that Minecraft apparently sells 50k every week and is around the bottom half of the list, a rough estimate for those would be "Less than 200k."

Or, in revenue terms, less than $12 Million @ $60 retail. Less than $6 Million in the case of Valkyria @ $30 Retail

Wow. Like when I read the coming changes I expected a switch-up but this is unprecedented. I'm crushed. Probably my last NPD thread.

Saty

At this point, you'd think someone would target NPD for hacking.

Edit: also unclear if Catalyst includes Origin data.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
crickets.gif

Kinda sucks though :(

Hesemonni

Banned
Like others have chimed in: Goodbye sales age. I guess it's finally time to actually play the games instead of arguing about sales metrics.

Shin-chan

The main reason this month is dead is because the numbers were leaked a week ago and lots of the discussion happened in the prediction thread. Yes, this new system sucks but we didn't exactly get a lot of information previously as well - other than the hardware order on each SKU the threads mostly involved parsing the PR until a figure was leaked and we had some hints about actual software numbers. If those numbers are still out there for subscribers like they've always been then I don't think the threads will be that much less fun and interesting as before. Of course if I'm wrong about that please let me know.

It is a pretty cynical move by NPD, though. It's like less than nothing.

So to top npd results for the month a game just needs to release $100 "collectors" edition or in-game loot boxes for $3?

RIP in peace NPD threads, I hardly knew thee.

RedStep

This makes no sense. Lower priced games are absolutely screwed.

In what sense? In their imaginary ranking on a chart? The devs know how much money they're pulling in and whether it's what they need or not. Nobody was going around putting "#8 in the February 2015 NPD Rankings" on the game box anyway, so aside from Warriors I'm not sure who's screwed.

crinale

In what sense? In their imaginary ranking on a chart? The devs know how much money they're pulling in and whether it's what they need or not. Nobody was going around putting "#8 in the February 2015 NPD Rankings" on the game box anyway, so aside from Warriors I'm not sure who's screwed.

That's how I'm feeling about this revenue based ranking also.

Revenue rankings suck. Makes it harder to get minimum numbers for other title based on their rank (e.g GTA V is atleast so and so if it's 3 and we know 4's data).

keuja

Who doesn't have GTA5 at this point? That is the biggest mystery to me lol. I want to get it on PC but the best sale has still been $30 on steam. Not worth it IMO because I already bought it on 360 and xbone

I still don't have it. But plan to buy it soon :).

Petrae

Well, this is a real shame. I'm sure that NPD has its reasons for making these changes-- which we can choose to believe or not believe-- but this format change all but kills any useful video game sales analysis (outside of quarterly and EOY results briefings).

For those of us who were armchair analysis hobbyists, this really stinks. I learned a lot of things over the last 8 years from visiting and participating in these threads. Having raw sales data enabled people to make reads of the industry at large. Without it, there's not much to discuss. The message is now controlled, and we're only allowed to know what the industry and NPD want us to know.

It was a great run, but all good things come to an end, I guess.

jm89

Maybe NPD should get moved to a single thread in community.

In the UK i would wake up to like 40 pages+ now it's like 6 pages, it is truly dead here.

Revenue rankings are really irrelevant. Inflation and price variations makes them historically useless.
What a shame. Hopefully a more serious competitor arrives.

Deku Tree

Zhuge said that Division was a top seller but it wasn't on the top chart. What happened to that? Even with revenue based rankings it could have compared to Destiny Taken King price wise.

Bgamer90

Banned
I've been posting less in NPD threads due to people who posted a lot of information with interesting details leaving. This new format will definitely make me post even less if this is how it will be from here on out.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I think this was intentional to kill the "NPD for X month will be interesting"-meme.

Occam

Yes, i saw that. I meant next month and beyond. I dunno it is safe or not. But you can see that some members wrote something like this : "numbers from gamerconnect via Aqua". Maybe it is safe. And i also read somewhere a few days ago that Aqua tried to get back here, but GAF administration rejected her, so, she went to Chartz.

So she actually wanted to return and not just have a proxy post numbers in her stead? I thought she wasn't allowed to by her employer. I wonder what happened. I miss her.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pretty much my thoughts...

Miss those "it prints money" gifs and things like that from the heyday of these threads. ;/

Good night sweet NPD. May you live on in our collective hearts as we reminisce about your past glory!

Well technically you could still post that gif with the focus on revenue now...

The main reason this month is dead is because the numbers were leaked a week ago and lots of the discussion happened in the prediction thread. Yes, this new system sucks but we didn't exactly get a lot of information previously as well - other than the hardware order on each SKU the threads mostly involved parsing the PR until a figure was leaked and we had some hints about actual software numbers. If those numbers are still out there for subscribers like they've always been then I don't think the threads will be that much less fun and interesting as before. Of course if I'm wrong about that please let me know.

It is a pretty cynical move by NPD, though. It's like less than nothing.

Yea alot of info was posted in the prediction thread. At times that thread got huge over the years too so maybe thats where most ppl will post now, who knows.

LordRaptor

Switch to revenue based charts...
...doesn't include digital

It does include digital, but only for selected companies who have opted to share that information with the NPD group, which is the primary reason these charts are worse than useless, because it is a comparative ranking of some games physical + digital versus other games physical only.

driver116

It does include digital, but only for selected companies who have opted to share that information with the NPD group, which is the primary reason these charts are worse than useless, because it is a comparative ranking of some games physical + digital versus other games physical only.

Yeah that's what I meant to post.

test_account

XP-39C²
Besides seeing which platform that sold the most for multiplatform games, i cant see this changing much from before, at least for me. For me, the interesting stuff was always from the leaks and PR statements since NPD stopped posting numbers themself.

Horns

Maybe I missed it, but "**No digital sales" for Doom, UC4, and Minecraft is because they don't get digit numbers from Bethsoft.com, PSN, and minecraft.com respectively?

Maybe I missed it, but "**No digital sales" for Doom, UC4, and Minecraft is because they don't get digit numbers from Bethsoft.com, PSN, and minecraft.com respectively?

It's both publisher and platform based.

Only data from PSN XBL and Steam. Only for a select group of publishers. Only full game sales, no MTX or DLC.

So, no digital data for Minecraft, Doom and UC4 because Sony, Bethesda and Microsoft are not sharing digital data. But even if they were, only revenues from PSN XBL and direct purchases from Steam would be counted,

Shahed

Okay I understand the disappointment about the change from measurements to revenue instead of units. I agree with the sentiment.

But one thing I find bizarre is the idea that lower priced games (budget console titles, handheld games), are now 'screwed over'. How so? The tiles in question will sell just as well (or as bad!) as before, with the same amount amount of money going to the relevant entities involved.

For example say a new Fire Emblem or the upcoming Recore sell 300k (random made up numbers) units and would have ranked at number 5 on the old NPD system, but since they are lower priced would not enter the Top 10 now with the changes as their revenue per unit would be lower. Either way they sold 300k, so they don't miss out on anything just because some arbitrary ranking system has them higher or lower on a list

Loudninja

June PSN top sellers

PS4

1 Battlefield 4
2 Overwatch: Origins Edition
3 Battlefield Hardline
4 Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
5 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
6 Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
7 7 Days to Die
8 Rocket League
9 Grand Theft Auto V
10 Need for Speed
11 Dragon Age: Inquisition
12 Batman: Arkham Knight
13 EA SPORTS FIFA 16
14 Destiny
15 Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
16 Dragon Ball Xenoverse
17 DOOM
18 Need for Speed Rivals
19 LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
20 Assassin’s Creed Syndicate

PS3

1 Dark Souls II
2 Grand Theft Auto V
3 The Last Of Us
4 EA SPORTS FIFA 16
5 Battlefield 4
6 LittleBigPlanet 3
7 Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition
8 Battlefield Hardline
9 Devil May Cry HD Collection
10 Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
11 Dragon Ball Xenoverse
12 BioShock
13 Watch Dogs
14 STREET FIGHTER X TEKKEN
15 Need for Speed Most Wanted
16 BioShock Infinite
17 Dishonored Game of the Year Edition
18 Call of Duty: Black Ops III
19 UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception
20 God of War: Ascension

Vita

1 GOD EATER: Resurrection
2 Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
3 XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus
4 Adventures of Mana
5 Tales of Hearts R
6 Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution 2 Plus
7 Steins;Gate
8 Soul Sacrifice Delta
9 Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
10 Child of Light
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/07/playstation-store-junes-top-downloads/

jayu26

Okay I understand the disappointment about the change from measurements to revenue instead of units. I agree with the sentiment.

But one thing I find bizarre is the idea that lower priced games (budget console titles, handheld games), are now 'screwed over'. How so? The tiles in question will sell just as well (or as bad!) as before, with the same amount amount of money going to the relevant entities involved.

For example say a new Fire Emblem or the upcoming Recore sell 300k (random made up numbers) units and would have ranked at number 5 on the old NPD system, but since they are lower priced would not enter the Top 10 now with the changes as their revenue per unit would be lower. Either way they sold 300k, so they don't miss out on anything just because some arbitrary ranking system has them higher or lower on a list
They mean screwed in the sense that we will not get a sense of how well they are selling. They are screwed because it will be very hard for them to break into top ten like you described.

Horns

It's both publisher and platform based.

Only data from PSN XBL and Steam. Only for a select group of publishers. Only full game sales, no MTX or DLC.

So, no digital data for Minecraft, Doom and UC4 because Sony, Bethesda and Microsoft are not sharing digital data. But even if they were, only revenues from PSN XBL and direct purchases from Steam would be counted,

Thanks for the explanation.

Tigress

I fully except GTA V to be on every NPD from here till the holidays.

I'm just wondering why haven't they dropped single-player dlc. It would most definitely make them back 20x's what they spent on it.

They're making 40x that with the microtransactions. Ok so I don't know how much they are making in microtransactions but it is very apparent by their actions that it is much more than they feel they would make with an SP expansion. So for them it makes sense not to pull people away from supporting the online game. Not that I don't want SP but it is what it is.

Top Bottom