• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2017

Who would win in a fight, Crash Bandicoot or Heihachi Mishima?

Todd Howard.

Ōkami;244046250 said:
Ice cream or cake?

Pie. I'm not a monster and dairy don't work with me.

How did Tekken 7 do compared to Injustice 2's debut? Or even compared to Tekken 6.

Have to get back to you on this one.

Maybe I didn't understand something, but why are ARMS digital+physical data public but in the ranking digital is still not counted ?

Nintendo released the digital number, not us. I can't see it. Nintendoes What NPDon't.

Is this the best year for the fighting game genre outside of the years Smash released in?

I imagine it might not be since IIRC Tekken used to move *a lot* of units.

Good question, will get back to this one as well.

Are you guys surprised by Crash performance or it was expected ?

I was, personally, quite surprised. It's great. Hoping lots of older IP gets dusted off and brought back. It's good for everyone.

I don't know if you can answer but where would Crash be if the chart would be unit based?

Higher. Sorry can't do more detail.

What do you make of PS4 peaking this year? Expected?

I think HW sales peaked in 2015. Will be happy if I'm wrong.

Tekken charting so well on xbox too came as a surprise?

No. Xone software splits at a higher share than the current hw split.

Is ARMS a fighting game/s

Is Knack the true difference maker this generation?

(Yes)

Mory Dunz

Why does everyone HAVE to downplay ARMS? Did it kill your console? i)Is it the reason why Tekken 7 ps4 has all that input lag? I just don't get it.

everything gets downplayed if its not your team.

Horizon, ARMS, Splatoon, Crash, Xbox Everything.

where ya been

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Tea.

I was thinking the whole no cross play on Xb1 fiasco would have tipped the scales a lot but.......welp. Seems nothing has happened yet.

I seriously only heard about the crossplay furor on GAF. Even my hardcore gamer friends never once mentioned it and they bitch about minute shit that was changed in Tekken compared to the last game.

hawk2025

Wow, impressed by Tekken 7 -- I did not think the series still had this in it.

Great game, too.

Great performance by ARMS.

Why does everyone HAVE to downplay ARMS? Did it kill your console? i)Is it the reason why Tekken 7 ps4 has all that input lag? I just don't get it.

Probably for the same reason you asked the second question: To cause a scene.

13ruce

Banned

Same story as Splatoon downplay back then.
Probably just for the lulz as Splatoon did very well in the end and Arms also is doin pretty well for a new fighter IP right now.

JusDoIt

Why?
Sony had plenty of exciting releases back to back. Microsoft is holding everything for the scorp... sorry, One X launch. If anything xbox numbers look pretty good considering we had no new 'exclusive' since halo wars 2 (which is niche enough) to motivate sales. Tbh i expected the gap to be even bigger now that we have the Switch to compete for sales too.

I'm saying it's impressive, not that they don't deserve it. Playstation has been killing it with releases this year. I just expected after E3 for PS4 sales to slow down a bit, considering the general sentiment was that Sony had a weak showing and Xbox showed signs of life with the One X announcement, but nah.

Ivan 3414

It's almost as if every new PS4 owner also picked up GTA V lol. Glad to see Crash doing well, I thought it'd be number but I guess Crash domination isn't as big in the US as it is in other territories.
Crash Team Racing please.

Chart is based on revenue and not copies sold. Crash was sold at a discounted price so it would honestly have to be some sort of monstrosity to reach number one, with just two days on the market on a single platform, over those other multiplatform games that had more time to sell

So the leaks is confirmed?

They were basically confirmed the minute Mat didn't address them.

Why?
Sony had plenty of exciting releases back to back. Microsoft is holding everything for the scorp... sorry, One X launch. If anything xbox numbers look pretty good considering we had no new 'exclusive' since halo wars 2 (which is niche enough) to motivate sales. Tbh i expected the gap to be even bigger now that we have the Switch to compete for sales too.

That spin is even crazier than the "does Microsoft even care about hardware sales?" post in the Predictions thread. The Xbox One's worst June ever is "pretty good" in your opinion?

Being $40 vs $60... that means it did at least 1.5x more copies than ARMS.

Assuming each unit of ARMS and Crash were sold at MSRP, Crash sold at least 384,000 copies

Math: 256,000 (units sold given by Nintendo) x $60.00 (ARMS MSRP) = $15,360,000.00 revenue

$15,360,000 / 40.00 (Crash MSRP) = 384,000

Not a surprise considering the much lower install base, and the fact that it's a new IP.

Kinda surprising considering Crash is a remake of three old games and the IP had been abandoned.

3 fighting games and a crash in the top 10. What a time to be alive. We 90s again
platformers outdoing sports!

UnknownSonic%26KnucklesArticle_2.JPG

Sony

Nintendo

This is going to be my last post on this subject as I've detailed the thread too much already: how is what I said downplaying? Regarding the quality of the game I said it's fantastic.

However, I have made a crucial mistake which I deserve all the flack for: I thought ARMS could only be played with motion controls and this was 80% of the reason why I didn't consider it a fighter in the breath of Injustice, Tekken etc. so I sincerely apologize for that .

Hyun Sai

Tea.

I was thinking the whole no cross play on Xb1 fiasco would have tipped the scales a lot but.......welp. Seems nothing has happened yet.

The mass market just doesn't give a shit. Usual Gaf bubble. As long as Sony doesn't make grotesque fuck ups like the beginning of PS3, they're too established on the world market for this to matter.

Sucks for Prey. It was a decent game.
I didn't buy the PS4 version because it was a mess technically. The PS4 is the largest market for games; I don't think you can put out a game on PS4 that's a technical mess and expect to see great sales.

Honestly, I'm actually pleased that it sold poorly, because it sends a good message to other publishers.

Keinning

That spin is even crazier than the "does Microsoft even care about hardware sales?" post in the Predictions thread. The Xbox One's worst June ever is "pretty good" in your opinion?

I was on the camp expecting 100k~120k tops. You can't compare it with other years because it's not the same situation - I have no idea why you expected xbox one sales to be great when they just announced a brand new console coming up but yes, i think it's good so far if people are holding back to buy a One X later. If they don't, then it won't be good, no. But sure, call it a spin and turn this into a console war if you want to.

Yjynx

They were basically confirmed the minute Mat didn't address them.

Welp kind of crazy PS4 sold almost 400k on June....

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
This is going to be my last post on this subject as I've detailed the thread too much already: how is what I said downplaying? Regarding the quality of the game I said it's fantastic.

However, I have made a crucial mistake which I deserve all the flack for: I thought ARMS could only be played with motion controls and this was 80% of the reason why I didn't consider it a fighter in the breath of Injustice, Tekken etc. so I sincerely apologize for that .

Fwiw, I think it's pretty cool you can fess up to your mistake. Everyone on this board assumes one thing or another at some point during their posting. It's not that big of a deal; but it is to own up to it. Don't see that too often.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

Always a good idea to talk shit if a game you hadn't even played, huh?

Socivol

FFXV is selling super low priced right now, and pretty much has been $40 and below since mid December. Hell, you can get it for $20 at Best Buy with this current sale, iirc.

That's the reason why I wouldn't think it would be on here because it has been on sale so much. I'm just surprised that it's so THIS well especially with the way people talk about the game on GAF.

Eria

That's the reason why I wouldn't think it would be on here because it has been on sale so much. I'm just surprised that it's so THIS well especially with the way people talk about the game on GAF.

FF XV sold around 5-6 millions iirmc so yeah, it's a success.

HardRojo

Chart is based on revenue and not copies sold. Crash was sold at a discounted price so it would honestly have to be some sort of monstrosity to reach number one, with just two days on the market on a single platform, over those other multiplatform games that had more time to sell

Ah yeah, I'm aware of that but forgot to point it out in my post. Hopefully we'll get numbers to have a better idea of how much Crash sold in the US.

Using your logic metroid prime 3 cant have been the same genre as 1 and 2 because the control method changed

Tea.

The mainstream market just don't care about things like that.

Especially with most cross-play won't allow you to play with friends anyways, so the ability to make it an important selling point becomes heavily reduced.

Prey deserves to fall off the charts. I will patch my opinion when Arkane patches their game.

The PS4 technical issue thread gets bumped and I keep getting reminded at the sorry state of the game.

Tea.

The internet and especially gaf are in a bubble. 99.9% don't care or are even aware
Yep, it is something that should be rectified but the "backlash" is just a loud minority doing what they usually do. Make things out to be a far bigger deal than it really is. Your average Joe/Jane buying these consoles couldn't care less about the matter.

Everyone?

Sony

Nintendo
Always a good idea to talk shit if a game you hadn't even played, huh?

If "Game X is fantastic but I don't think it belongs in the genre you think it does" constitutes as shitposting to you, think about if message boards are the right medium of expression for you.

Fwiw, I think it's pretty cool you can fess up to your mistake. Everyone on this board assumes one thing or another at some point during their posting. It's not that big of a deal; but it is to own up to it. Don't see that too often.

Anyways, I'm quite concerned about the Xbox drop. Maybe people are holding put for Scorpio, maybe not, but its value proposition compared to PS4 taking into account the games is not favorsome..

None for me, article was great, all the info is there. Thanks Mat!

Appreciated!

With Nintendo's return, can we finally put the phrase "Consoles are doomed" to rest for now?

But why though. PC Gaming has been dying since 1995, etc etc.

Plus, everything is dying, and it's usually all the fault of millennials. At least that's what the clickbait articles on the internet tell me.

What are your expectations for Splatoon 2 tomorrow and Switch this month.

Splatoon 2 could be #1 in July, and Switch will sell every unit that can make it to the channel.

1. Tekken 7 being number 1 is wow! Well deserved
2. It feels like Rockstar/Take Two give a copy of GTAV to every newborn child lol
3. PS4 is basically a runaway train, jfc.

Numb

If "Game X is fantastic but I don't think it belongs in the genre you think it does" constitutes as shitposting to you, think about if message boards are the right medium of expression for you.

You just said you didn't even know how the game was controlled in your last post

Cess007

But why though. PC Gaming has been dying since 1995, etc etc.

Plus, everything is dying, and it's usually all the fault of millennials. At least that's what the clickbait articles on the internet tell me.

lel

Thanks Mat. Always appreciate your readiness to share all you're allowed to share with us.

Should Microsoft revive their dormant franchises like Perfect Dark, Banjo etc. Isn't it the perfect time?

I would buy a XBO for a (good) Perfect Dark game :(

Top Bottom