• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2017

joe_zazen

The goal is weekly reporting for everything. Working on a couple issues that will allow this to happen.

Heh, I and my team did the Americas volume forecasting as well as the price & decay curve modeling for all of WB's titles, among other stuff. It was much easier back in the days of LHP 1-4 when we were just projecting discs that's for sure.

Basically, we were the "they" when you saw the price drop or something and you said "oh hey they dropped the price on that game".

:)

sphinx

the piano man
Hi there MatP!

I'd like to ask: what's up with the Vita?

Sony hasn't made an statement (that I know of) about the state of the Vita..

hardwarewise, It appears that the Vita is now a Japan-exclusive thing, it continues to sell there, somewhat, whereas, at least here in Europe, hardware production and sales have ceased completely, you can't buy it anywhere. And it's been like that for at least a year.

I wonder if that's the case in the USA too and whether you guys track the Vita in some capacity? maybe software only?

donny2112

I double-dip quite a bit due to digital.

1) Buy a game physical and enjoy it.
2) Play other games.
3) Game from (1) goes on good sale digital, and I figure it'd be good to have it always available.

Same reasoning with buying BC and VC titles. Having more available on fewer systems seems good to me!

Hi there MatP!

I'd like to ask: what's up with the Vita? ...whether you guys track the Vita in some capacity? maybe software only?

Hello!

We track everything. And I mean everything. When somehow, some way, some ancient system happens to sell 1 unit in some store somewhere, we see it. I still see OUYA hardware sales on a monthly basis.

So we track every SKU of Vita hardware, every piece of Vita physical software, and all Vita digital software for publishers within our digital panel.

As for what's up with the Vita? Erm. Well. Uhh. Hmm.

Aeqvitas

Hey, new article on gamesindustry.biz you all might find interesting.

No, digital isn't cannibalizing retail - NPD
We talk with The NPD Group as it expands its digital tracking with a pilot program in the Americas

Explains some of the challenges around digital, the expansion of NPD's tracking to include all of the Americas, and the interplay between physical and digital.

Basically:

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Great article Matt, thanks for sharing!

How far along is the tracking in LATAM? Any ideas why Sony isn't on board? From what little data I've seen it seems that MS is actually doing comparatively well in a few of the larger markets (e.g. Mexico, BR, argentina) but the rest isn't so clear. I always felt that MS should be doubling down on the LATAM market as it had very strong growth potential and being the defacto leader would do a lot to make Xbox more competitive internationally. I think LATAM is the only developing market where MS has a chance to gain leadership, but it seems like their efforts have been minimal.

That said, do you think that focusing on lower prices for hardware should be a priority? My understanding is that currently consoles are priced comparatively much higher in LATAM with exchange rates, they seem like a very premium product for a very small portion of the population, which seems like the wrong approach in developing markets. Also I feel like well priced FIFA bundles would be a no brainer in LATAM.

Thank you for all your contributions here Matt, they are greatly appreciated.

How far along is the tracking in LATAM?

Far enough along for us to go live with the pilot, so pretty far.

do you think that focusing on lower prices for hardware should be a priority?

Well, obviously the lower the price for hardware the more adoption will rise. But it's very complicated with the various tax, production and distribution challenges that can arise. Each country is different with its own set of opportunities and challenges. I think having this data available will help companies set their expectations, perhaps see some opportunity gaps, and hopefully improve the market for all.

Thank you for all your contributions here Matt, they are greatly appreciated.

Very kind of you to say.

Welfare

The goal is weekly reporting for everything. Working on a couple issues that will allow this to happen.

This is something I've wanted NPD to do for awhile, so NPD having digital data while also moving to a weekly release is exciting as a consumer of this data.

For context, PS4, Xone, 3DS, Switch and the NES Classic accounted for 99.8% of hardware volume in June, if that helps.

So 360 and PS3 are dead now. End of an era.

I wonder if the the Switch has increased the sales of accessories , it seems to me that with the Switch having those rails on the side all bets are off for what kind of things can be made for it.

I wonder if the the Switch has increased the sales of accessories.

Accessories spending is down slightly YoY, but it's certainly not because Switch accessories haven't sold well. Individual categories like Gamepads, Cases and power supplies are doing quite well thanks in no small part to Switch. Declines in sales of Interactive Gaming Toys are really dragging down accessories overall.

Is PS4VR included with the Ps4?

Nope. PSVR is not included in hardware, but is tracked elsewhere.

In case anyone wants some good NPD talk, Mat is on our podcast every month to talk about the results. And as it so happens, he's on tonight.

Looking forward to it!

Mikey Jr.

I know self-promoting is generally frowned upon, but I wanted to drop this here in case anyone wants to listen to Mat and us discuss NPD. We should be going live in about 10-ish minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0-2dKF2ulA

I'm watching now, and it's decent. But you gotta chill with typing every time Matt talks. He starts talking and all I hear is tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.

Abdiel

What has happened in this thread, rofl.

But, seriously. Some really good conversation in here with the last few questions and responses; Thanks again Mat for all the contributions, you've been an invaluable member around here.

As to questions on the Vita - we still have some games left over, but I don't think I have any of the systems in any of my stores in the district. It makes me really sad. I love my little Vita... I wonder if I'm going to have to end up getting a Switch sooner than expected if the titles I bought for Vita end up making the leap. It's been my secondary JRPG machine for awhile since the PS4 really kicked into gear with that library, and considering that the Switch seems to be a solid improvement over how much I loathe the 3DS hardware (I hate having to use it for any length of time), I won't mind buying games for it, especially if I can just have it as a secondary console to change sources on my TV on. It's not likely I'd be using it in Portable mode very often. We'll see around the launch of Xenoblade 2.

Feel free to post any questions you guys think of, if I'm able to answer things, I'll see what kind of details I can scrounge up.

(BTW - Splatoon did really good so far. Positive response, though definitely limited by the hardware availability, and I mean, we didn't exactly have an explosive hardware influx. Still a good amount, but it wasn't like huge.)

I'm watching now, and it's decent. But you gotta chill with typing every time Matt talks. He starts talking and all I hear is tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.

It's weird. My mic is muted every single time. Not sure what the deal was.

Mory Dunz

(BTW - Splatoon did really good so far. Positive response, though definitely limited by the hardware availability, and I mean, we didn't exactly have an explosive hardware influx. Still a good amount, but it wasn't like huge.)

300k Switch.
650k Splatoon

don't worry, comgnet told me

Top Bottom