• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

Launch aligned. (I used 68K for Wii U March.)
a1Cvjjq.png

I think Aquamarine has a GCN vs Wii U chart.

You mean this chart?

Q4oylxQ.png

Which is an even bigger problem because some larger titles could suffer severely when faced up against some next gen games for Sony and Microsoft. There is only so much a Nintendo brand can do, and if they were to spread more out over the year they could possibly garner some excitement but having nothing until August really just sucks.

No denying the suckage of that. They released LEGO City Undercover to at least make sure SOMETHING fricken came out Q1 2013, much like they'll release Game and Wario to ensure something is released in Q2.

Still, they want their system to have attention, and if they released bigger games right now, they'd have to put a lot of marketing dollars in to ensure the interest on it remains at a peak when the other two have yet to even be fully disclosed yet. They're being overly conservative, and they figure the best way to save face from the horrible launch is to distance itself from it and then do a big "relaunch" the only way they now how: dump three major franchises together in a short timeframe (Mario, Mario Kart, probably Retro's game).

I'm more concerned about Mario Kart, to be honest. EAD Tokyo probably moved things around a bit to get 3D Land out by 2011, but they were working on a Wii U game beforehand I imagine. Meanwhile, 1-UP Studio is probably working full-tilt on 3D Mario and Mario Kart...and I hope Retro is not losing dev focus because of it, too.

Yeah, I think Mario Kart and 3D Mario have the biggest chance to be rushed for the relaunch. I thought they did a great job with MK7, so I'd be disappointed if the next Kart isn't up to par.

I just meant to say that even though Nintendo is delaying games like Game and Wario and Pikmin and Wonderful 101 that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't rush out games like Mario 3D or Mario Kart, so that they can all (re)launch together.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I do feel both BioShock and Tomb Raider had ~1 million potential, but I feel this isn't disastrous for them at least.

It will be interesting to see how things are doing in Q4 and this time next year.

Agreed. I very much wanted to see both of them ~1mm.
It would have made a good story for both publishers and the industry st large - you CAN launch two AAA titles in a March time period to 1mm sales (With females playing prominent roles, etc).makes us look healthier. I think BioShock has the WoM to keep going, im a bit shakey on TR mostly due to bad publicity with Square lately but I'm rooting for it.

That said, both gow's beat my expectations

kinggroin

Banned
I have a feeling third party pubs are watching these two titles closely, if these exclusives can't do well, well then what will.

Nah. They've clearly made up their mind on support for this thing.

Its all on Nintendo whether this thing continues to sink or eventually swim.

Bowler

I know that some places are kind of phasing it out completely. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't want to stock it at all.
It's shocking to me, they have 4 foot gondola displays, but no stock. It looks like shit If you ask me, from a customer standpoint. How can you sell something, devote that much space to it, but not carry it, or restock it?

I have a feeling third party pubs are watching these two titles closely, if these exclusives can't do well, well then what will.

Creamsugar noted they were the top sellers for Wii U this month. Not that it matters thanks to hardware sales. It's not like third parties were releasing much to it even if they sold very very well.

That and LEGO was published and partially financed by Nintendo, so really only MH3U and Need For Speed: Not-so-Wanted-months-later U were the games to look for.

Zen

Banned
I think ultimately the SNES was more powerful since you rarely saw any of the extra Genesis power making a big difference, where as the color restrictions/mode7/superior sound chip were readily apparently for virtually every SNES title.

What's IGN4.7?

Monster Hunter and Lego sales are pretty decent considering the circumstances. It makes me wonder how MH could do in the West if it wasn't chained down by platform exclusivity.

GoW:A's numbers aren't too shabby. Wonder how much higher than 600K it is (probably not a whole lot). I believe GoW:3 did around 1 million during its first month, and obviously that had way more hype.

But as for the multiplayer experiment? Pretty much a bust. I guess it was good for them to experiment with online and get some experience so if they integrate it into future projects they have something already established under their belt.

I take it that creamsugar hasn't hinted at any Wii U / PS3 numbers yet?

I wonder if Call of Duty for Wii U is showing any legs at all. The games did just decently enough to stay on Wii. If Activision ever drops Wii U, then they've really got nothing for third party support.

Top Bottom