• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

Amir0x

Banned
Well there is the whole... 7 platforms vs 1 thing... but I understand.

I bet you that every version of that except the Vita one probably sold more than the single SKU of Lego City :p

but of course, making Lego City exclusive to Wii U now the burden becomes you have to perform in a way that makes such exclusivity worth it. They couldn't even come close (I mean if it was charting at number 10 we might at least say 'well, it is a single SKU'), so, yea... not pretty.

FoneBone

Wait, there was a stronger decline for portable hardware, yet 3DS went up YOY when compared to March 2012? Is that right, or does that mean Vita slipped even more?

Vita still had post-launch momentum in March 2012 (over 200K)... it would have to be much, much lower this month.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Great, fricking Tomb Raider got second place. Hopefully it was a soft second place. Judging by Luigi being sixth place with just 365k, it just might be.

Also, I see Fire Emblem sold 64k. Probably shipped 65k. [rolls eyes]

3DS sold 97k in May 2011. That's how little interest there was post-launch for the successor to what I believe is the biggest selling gaming device in American history.

Not looking too bad now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wonder what ever happened to W101. I thought it was near completion or at least it felt that way when I played it last year. Surprised they didn't mention it in their presser.

I remember reading they were aiming for February 2013. Now it's M.I.A. with no date in sight.

And people were hopeful for Bayo 2 hitting in 2013...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Growth, even if it's pretty low, is one of the first notable positive signs for the 3DS in the West in quite some time, so I think Nintendo's software release strategy is starting to show some progress.
Yep, it's taken quite long but it begins.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So far we have 261k for 360 and 245k for 3DS. That leaves ~481,000 left for DS+(PSP)+PS3+Wii+Vita+Wii U. This is based on my estimates for March of last year being 1,451,000. It would put this months sales ~987,000.
Sorry, how many 3DS machines have been sold in North America total?
~8.25 million

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait, now that I think about it...

Luigi's Mansion 2 at 365k? That's much higher than NSMB2's debut in a similar frame of time, one week.

1-D_FTW

Lego Batman 2 had 7 platforms to sell on.

What's the install base for Wii U in NA right now? Is it even much past 1 million? For Undercover to chart it would have had to sell an absurdly high tie-ratio.

Isn't it a quality title? I don't think it's asking a whole lot to crack the top 10. What is that? 100,000? It doesn't say much about the WiiU audience if they can't even manage that. I mean, the game's got no competition. If you like good games, and you own a Wii U, that's your only option.

C4Lukins

Same here! Fire Emblem is my Game of the 1st Quarter, though.

I always find it funny when Microsoft boasts about its "holding the top 6 spots" when most of those games are multiplats.

And congrats to Weegee!

Yes but those 6 spots belong to the 360 version of the game so it is something to boast about.

TheNatural

My Member!
I bet you that every version of that except the Vita one probably sold more than the single SKU of Lego City :p

but of course, making Lego City exclusive to Wii U now the burden becomes you have to perform in a way that makes such exclusivity worth it. They couldn't even come close (I mean if it was charting at number 10 we might at least say 'well, it is a single SKU'), so, yea... not pretty.

LEGO has always had a license attached to it. Kids buy it for it being the Batman, Star Wars, or Pirates game or whatever else as much as, if not more, than just the LEGO license.

It's a no brainer that a standalone wouldn't do near as well even if it was multiplatform.

Yawnier

Banned
3DS nearly beat 360 to being the #1 overall system. Wow.

The 360 is nearing on 8 fucking years on the market now.

For a comparisons sake (under various different circumstances at the time of course), this would be as if the SNES was still the top selling home console on the market in 1999.

Uh, games do that all the time? When did Bioshock Infinite come out?

And to kill your point completely:

Lego Star Wars: Clone Wars III -> Released March 22, 2011.

March NPD?

1. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360)** Warner Bros. Interactive
2. Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
3. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, 3DS, PS3, PC) LucasArts
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360, PS3, Wii)** Electronic Arts
You sure? I recall MK came out in April

Bruno MB

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (2005.09.18) - 285,311
[GBA] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (2005.09.18) - 219,923

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness (2008.04.20) - 404,000
[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (2009.10.12) - 103,000

[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (2013.03.24) - 145,000 (digital sales included)

UberTag

I always find it funny when Microsoft boasts about its "holding the top 6 spots" when most of those games are multiplats.
When Microsoft makes a comment like that they're referencing the individual SKU rankings we're not given access to.
After all, you can find a 360 version in 7 of the multi-SKU Top 10 this month. So it is worth boasting about.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah, release date IN THE CONTEXT OF THE WII U. If you took it to be a generalization that's your fault not mine. I'm saying, a tiny fanbase + few days on the market = no chance of games charting against other (established) titles with much more going for them

The release date has absolutely nothing to do with it. It was able to chart for more than half a month. The blame is entirely on the Wii U market.

3DS is in a pretty comfortable position going forward, it has a steady slew of software for the foreseeable future.
Wii U is a barren wasteland, I actually think the Wii U problem (no software to sustain hardware sales) is pretty similar to the problems the Vita is having.

Amir0x

Banned
LEGO has always had a license attached to it. Kids buy it for it being the Batman, Star Wars, or Pirates game or whatever else as much as, if not more, than just the LEGO license.

It's a no brainer that a standalone wouldn't do near as well even if it was multiplatform.

well at least this is a better excuse than the one Zoaromon or whatever had. That's fine, I don't have a problem with your stance

DaBoss

Xbox 360: 261K
Nintendo 3DS: 245K

The power of Monster Hunter.

zoVui9Q.png

Hero

There's also the point that Batman is a hot franchise versus a game based only on the Lego property itself. The original argument that it came out at the end of the month doesn't hold weight but the comparison between Lego Batman 2 and Undercover is silly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you think about how many copies the Lego games sold on Wii last gen and how that market is basically gone, they are probably shitting themselves.

Miker

March 2012
Playstation Vita - 200k+ (but less than 3DS)

Vita was hot off its launch. [though hot isn't the right term to use:(]

The reason is easy: last March, Vita sold a little over 200k (second month, and its debut month included not even 7 days).

March 2012 Vita sold 200k (it was right following its launch). There's obviously a big decline.

3DS is up, DS is down

Vita sold ~200k last year. Portable hardware was going to slip a lot.

Vita alone probably dropped 170k YoY.

Ah, got it. I completely forgot when Vita's launch was.

Amir0x

Banned
You sure? I recall MK came out in April

Yeah, I posted the wrong chart (googled the chart and someone was using a fucking VGCHAHTZ version of NPD list instead of the real one. Fuck I hate that website) This is it I think ->

01. Pokemon White Version (NDS) Nintendo - 1.3 Million
02. Pokemon Black Version (NDS) Nintendo - 1.1 Million
03. Homefront (360, PS3, PC) THQ
04. Dragon Age II (360, PS3, PC)** Electronic Arts
05. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
06.Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) LucasArts
07. Crysis 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
08. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
09. MLB 11: The Show (PS3, PSP, PS2) Sony
10. Fight Night Champion (360, PS3) Electronic Arts

In any event, the Lego Batman II charting is an even better example. June 19th, and charted #1.

Keyouta

[GBA] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (2005.09.18) - 285,311
[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (2005.09.18) - 219,923

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness (2008.04.20) - 404,000
[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (2009.10.12) - 103,000

[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (2013.03.24) - 145,000 (digital sales included)

I find Gates to Infinity lacking compared to the other games. Sky is the best.

TheNatural

My Member!
well at least this is a better excuse than the one Zoaromon or whatever had. That's fine, I don't have a problem with your stance

I'm not giving it as an excuse. The Wii U sales suck, no one would buy it anyway regardless of what's on it. I'm just saying as far as Lego games go, anyone thinking Lego is some major franchise alone are nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if that Lego Batman port coming out for Wii U outsold it on Wii U.

3DS is in a pretty comfortable position going forward, it has a steady slew of software for the foreseeable future.
Wii U is a barren wasteland, I actually think the Wii U problem (no software to sustain hardware sales) is pretty similar to the problems the Vita is having.

Sony and Nintendo are in opposite positions. One is going all in with their handheld and the other is going all in with their console.

I'm tired of Kratos. Give Santa Monica a new pantheon. I've been taking Mythology this semester, so many good fucking choices.

Yes, or at least a different lead character. I like your idea better though.

I wonder if/when Sony will give up on shoehorning multiplayer into their cinematic single-player franchises. I understand why they're doing it, but I can't think of a case where they've seen success with it.

Top Bottom