• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

Scum

Yes, tons of good deals, Pikachu Yellow 3DSXL, and then the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon+Luigi's Mansion game releases along with whatever effect Easter had (beyond being the likely catalyst for the sales, in the first place)

Nice. Cheers.

So Pachter was pretty close with his Wii U estimate 55k vs. 69k (?). The month before he was like 15k over and then probably lowered it a bit this month and is 15k under

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well

- There's hardly any Wii U's anyway
- It's an old port
- It's full price

It's not just the Wii U owners' fault. We'd need to see attach rates before we could make any meaningful conclusions.

EDIT: So based on 1.01mill Wii U sales, that's a <1% attach rate. According to Wikipedia (yeah I know) it sold 500K in its first month on 360/PS3 combined. That was near end of 2012 where there was what, 130 million machines(?), which is about 0.4%.

Please correct if wrong and take note that I'm not a defender, just trying to put it in perspective somewhat.

I don't think the 360 and PS3 have 130 million machines sold in the US though.

Wii U™ owners have a ton of great games to look forward to from Nintendo and its third-party partners, including Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney's Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft® on Aug. 20. At the upcoming E3 trade show in June in Los Angeles, Nintendo expects to show attendees upcoming Wii U games from the Mario Kart™, Super Mario Bros.™ and Super Smash Bros.™ franchises.

Hahahaha. So damn sad, especially when mentioning planes and game and Wario in their press conference. So WiiU game drought until 23 June? Ridiculous. MH3G bomba.

PSV is going to be off most stores shelves by the middle of next year, and Durango and PS4 will take any remaining shelf space. Wiiu basically needs a price cut to 199, but that would kill Nintendo financialy so it wont happen. Of course Wiiu is the more important platform so i think its the bigger blow here
I dunno, over 100k seems surprisingly good. I expected much lower, like under 50k. I think they're pretty happy 100k+ considering the current situation of the platform.

Agreed

I dunno, over 100k seems surprisingly good. I expected much lower, like under 50k. I think they're pretty happy 100k+ considering the current situation of the platform.

Yep, any game doing over 100 - 200k+ launch numbers NPD on a platform that's only doing 1mil+ LTD NPD is great right now.

EDarkness

Doesn't explain why when things like the Sonic Racing game that launched had glitches that need to be patched, yet sold well for Wii U. Or Just Dance 4 was a crappy shameless Wii port. Or this LEGO City game had atrocious load times and sold well, comparatively. Your argument for a super informed userbase that rejects games for technical merits falls apart when you look at some of the game that have sold much better.

You may have worked at a game store, but I've worked at a retail store throughout all the holidays and the types of people that buy this stuff. I've been asked a dozen times on the demo Wii U unit what it was, is it the same as the Wii, does it come with all the games IN the demo unit, or so on. The few people that I've actually sold a Wii U too, or Wii U games too, lets just say aren't a bastion of technical knowledge.

I've sold about 100 times more copies of budget Dora's plaything or Monster High dress designer shovelware for Nintendo systems than I can count. Meanwhile when people come in for a 360 or PS3 game, it's always the same thing. Call of Duty. Halo. Madden. Far Cry. Whatever else.

Safe to say, I've got a pretty good idea who is buying what over probably a few hundred transactions doing this stuff. What you see on the internet and what we're talking about right now is not something the general Nintendo console owner is even aware of. It's a family and budget conscious ecosystem.

The sad thing about this is (kinda supporting your argument) is that when I worked at GameStop, a few of the guys kept pushing the Wii as a "family system" over the 360. There were plenty of family games on the 360, yet a few guys kept doing it. The manager of the store told us to stop doing that since there were family games on all systems. However, one of them said that Nintendo was for kids and that's where we should be sending them as they would be happier in the long run. Heh, heh. Led to a bit of an argument at the time, but ultimately didn't change anything. Perception is everything even though all of us owned a Wii and a 360.

Still, my point is that those people would buy games on Nintendo systems if the versions were worth a damn and companies didn't keep playing into this stereotype. Games like Resident Evil 4 and even Call of Duty did quite well on the Wii back in the day. Same with games like Soul Calibur on the GameCube, but let's face it if someone wants to buy X game on a Nintendo system, yet it's missing features (online play, DLC, etc.) why would they when the other versions were fully featured?

Even the example of Sonic Racing doing well on the Wii U had this idea that the fact that we couldn't do boost matches would be patched and could be patched. Heh, I was involved in the Miiverse conversation about it back when it launched and the fact the devs said they would take care of it helped the game. There was nothing missing with the game and it was basically the same as all the others and even included off TV play. That helps.

How about Call of Duty for the Wii U? People are still bitching on Miiverse about missing DLC. It's a constant thing. You can say it's sales or whatever, but we were told we were getting the Nuketown map like all the other versions only to find out at the last minute this wasn't the case and there hasn't been any confirmation that future DLC is coming. People I know who bought the Wii U version have pretty much switched back to the 360 or PS3 version because they know they'll be served better on those systems. Can't blame them either. So you're saying that given the choice "core" gamers would buy the Wii U version over the others? That seems crazy even ignoring demographics.

PSV is going to be off most stores shelves by the middle of next year, and Durango and PS4 will take any remaining shelf space. Wiiu basically needs a price cut to 199, but that would kill Nintendo financialy so it wont happen.

It needs GAMES. Why do people keep saying it needs a pricecut? It needs compelling software. You think people are going to spend $200 to buy a box with nothing they want? Games always sell systems not the other way around

It needs GAMES. Why do people keep saying it needs a pricecut? It needs compelling software. You think people are going to spend $200 to buy a box with nothing they want? Games always sell systems not the other way around

It needs both. At 350 dollars for the version people want another mario kart wont do jack shit in the long term

creamsugar

Does anyone checked 2ch thread "&#9632;&#28023;&#22806;&#12398;&#12495;&#12540;&#12489;&#12289;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#22770;&#19978;&#12434;&#35211;&#23432;&#12427;&#12473;&#12524; 374&#9632;"? I have no idea how the guy EWaeL+z60 get the numbers, lol.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I have 3DS hardware revenue estimated at $36 million last March. That's approximately 225K units at approximately $160 each.

Outside of the holiday season, I think 3DS is averaging around $180-$185 across the two models.

So a 9% increase in revenue is $39.2 million. Dividing by $180 gives you 218K. Dividing by $185 gives you 212K.

This is not a definitive argument. I'm simply providing my perspective with what I have at hand.

Where did we get the Vita numbers?

We know the proportion of handheld sales (Creamsugar posted a pie chart), so all we need is a number to work everything else from. Unfortunately, it seems that our previous number is inaccurate, although I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the Vita was sub-40k this month.

VanWinkle

BIG shame about NFS Wii U since it was such a well done port. I mean, under 10k? I can't even fathom that. Probably means no more Criterion Wii U games (of course, it's EA, so we didn't even really need the sales of NFS to know that).

We know the proportion of handheld sales (Creamsugar posted a pie chart), so all we need is a number to work everything else from. Unfortunately, it seems that our previous number is inaccurate, although I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the Vita was sub-40k this month.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

EDarkness

What's really sad about that is I'm sure at least a portion of those were from the $30 pricing mistake that the EA Origin store did on launch day for that game. Hell, I bought it, and I'm still not getting a Wii U until sometime in June.

Do they count Origin sales through NPD? I assumed that they didn't.

Does anyone checked 2ch thread "&#9632;&#28023;&#22806;&#12398;&#12495;&#12540;&#12489;&#12289;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#22770;&#19978;&#12434;&#35211;&#23432;&#12427;&#12473;&#12524; 374&#9632;"? I have no idea how the guy EWaeL+z60 get the numbers, lol.

So these are the numbers?

Hardware 990K&#65288;&#9650;32%)
&#12539;3DS 230K&#65288;+1%&#65289;
&#12539;Wii 91K&#65288;&#9650;47%&#65289;
&#12539;Wii U 67K
&#12539;PS3 211K&#65288;&#9650;36%&#65289;
&#12539;360 261K&#65288;&#9650;30%&#65289;

Do they count Origin sales through NPD? I assumed that they didn't.

Ah, I assumed the number given was some sort of EA-given number, not from NPD (didn't see the actual source, just a post in this topic).

So, yeah, if it's from NPD then they won't have the Origin store sales included.

AniHawk

BIG shame about NFS Wii U since it was such a well done port. I mean, under 10k? I can't even fathom that. Probably means no more Criterion Wii U games (of course, it's EA, so we didn't even really need the sales of NFS to know that).

if rayman legends, most wanted, and pikmin 3 were all launch games, i would have bought a wii u.

they always have random sources revealing random things over there. 67K for wiiU though. That's gotta suck. Also 100K for lego would be great, I thought 70K at best.

I would see where actually having games will take it before considering a price cut, if I were Nintendo.

So if the price hurts the system, they blow any momentum they could build and lose most of it to other systems. Also what retailer is going to order that many Wiius for the holidays before the games come out.

EDarkness

I'm wondering if Nintendo just needs to make a Wii Sports U and include a remote in the box. At least then people would have no reason to buy a Wii....

TheNatural

My Member!
The sad thing about this is (kinda supporting your argument) is that when I worked at GameStop, a few of the guys kept pushing the Wii as a "family system" over the 360. There were plenty of family games on the 360, yet a few guys kept doing it. The manager of the store told us to stop doing that since there were family games on all systems. However, one of them said that Nintendo was for kids and that's where we should be sending them as they would be happier in the long run. Heh, heh. Led to a bit of an argument at the time, but ultimately didn't change anything. Perception is everything even though all of us owned a Wii and a 360.

Still, my point is that those people would buy games on Nintendo systems if the versions were worth a damn and companies didn't keep playing into this stereotype. Games like Resident Evil 4 and even Call of Duty did quite well on the Wii back in the day. Same with games like Soul Calibur on the GameCube, but let's face it if someone wants to buy X game on a Nintendo system, yet it's missing features (online play, DLC, etc.) why would they when the other versions were fully featured?

Even the example of Sonic Racing doing well on the Wii U had this idea that the fact that we couldn't do boost matches would be patched and could be patched. Heh, I was involved in the Miiverse conversation about it back when it launched and the fact the devs said they would take care of it helped the game. There was nothing missing with the game and it was basically the same as all the others and even included off TV play. That helps.

How about Call of Duty for the Wii U? People are still bitching on Miiverse about missing DLC. It's a constant thing. You can say it's sales or whatever, but we were told we were getting the Nuketown map like all the other versions only to find out at the last minute this wasn't the case and there hasn't been any confirmation that future DLC is coming. People I know who bought the Wii U version have pretty much switched back to the 360 or PS3 version because they know they'll be served better on those systems. Can't blame them either. So you're saying that given the choice "core" gamers would buy the Wii U version over the others? That seems crazy even ignoring demographics.

Nope, I'm saying there's two types of potential customers these third parties are dealing with to buy their games.

1) Wii U budget/family gamers that are oblivious to the differences between versions, because they're basically oblivious to the games themselves.

2) A competitive advantage built up in 360/PS3 owners playing the same franchises on the same system for years, aren't going to move to a Wii U version - or even buy a Wii U for that matter - for the games they want.

Actually you can probably extend that last one to 360 vs. PS3 even, because Microsoft has used Live as an advantage in North America over the PS3 for years now. Sony hasn't been able to make ground either in hardware or same SKUs versus Microsoft because of the competitive advantage they've built with Live with what, 20 million users now? Sony has a little bit of a faithful PSN base because it's free, but even they've been beat by Microsoft.

Now combine both of those advantages versus Nintendo, and you see why where they're at. You can't just ignore online for a decade then just throw out the bare minimum and expect people to jump on board, they missed the boat. Third party sales only go as far as the community built up for those games, since almost every big release is online in some form or fashion.

Honest question: has any console that has tanked as bad as the Wii U did in all regions went on to do well or even have a decent stable of games?

I think its quite a bit behind PS3 now factoring in how well PS3 did in Europe its first 3 months and how the Wii U did not.

Scum

if rayman legends, most wanted, and pikmin 3 were all launch games, i would have bought a wii u.

That's one out of three for me, so far. Still can't believe Rayman Legends got dumped to September. It was three fucking weeks away! :-/

Here's what that source on 2ch revealed:

SoftWare 13,597K&#65288;&#9650;5%&#65289;
&#12539;Gears of War Judgment: 620K
&#12539;Bioshock Infinite 870K
&#12539;God of War Ascension 570K
&#12539;Tomb Raider 640K
&#12539;Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon 360K

Hardware 990K&#65288;&#9650;32%)
&#12539;3DS 230K&#65288;+1%&#65289;
&#12539;Wii 91K&#65288;&#9650;47%&#65289;
&#12539;Wii U 67K
&#12539;PS3 211K&#65288;&#9650;36%&#65289;
&#12539;360 261K&#65288;&#9650;30%&#65289;

You said these numbers are legit, Creamsugar, so I'm going to go ahead and believe these are the final NPD numbers.

Another source also added the following:

No new game > 1m
600k < gowj < gowa < tr, but the diff between each other is less than 10k
hunter / lego fan could be sad

gowa have bundle sku, so you could figure it out.

100k < lego < hunter 3ds+wiiu < 130k
nfs < 10k
IGN4.7(Castlevania) ~ 30k

MH3U:
3DS: 3/5
Wii U: 2/5

Wii U ver is 13th of all Wii U SW LTD.

60.9K < MHU 3DS < 77.4K
40.4K < MHU WiiU < 51.6K

I don't know how legit they are, though. ;-)

TheNatural

My Member!

You said these numbers are legit, Creamsugar, so I'm going to go ahead and believe these are the final NPD numbers.

The last is exactly what cream posted word for word, LOL.

Edit: Oh, guess you were being sarcastic. :p

ascii42

I have 12 physical games and 2 additional downloaded retail games. I'm pretty sure that's already twice as many games as I ever got for GBA.

creamsugar posted the latter in this thread. lol

donny2112

Thank you!

360 - 261K
3DS - 230K
PS3 - 211K
Wii - 91K
NDS - 86K
Wii U - 67K
PSV - 33K
PSP - 8K

NDS, PSV, and PSP are calculated.

Top Bottom