• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

olOgyfz.jpg

Well this was one hell of a change:

qWLZZZm.png

I think Microsoft is in trouble now.

Sony has MLB14 coming up for the Ps4.
They have exclusive marketing for Watchdogs.
They have The Last Of Us Remastered coming up.
They have DriveClub coming up.
They have exclusive marketing for Destiny.
They have The Order 1886 coming up.
They have Planetside2 coming up.

Microsoft has basically nothing until SunsetOverdrive, Halo2 Anniversary or Forza Horizon2 hit.

Microsofts really needs to knock it out of the park at E3.
By that I mean not only games wise. They need to show something amazing like Illumiroom or a VR/AR solution.
They need to drop the price below Ps4.
And they need to show a of amazing exclusives.

Nzyme32

It's over, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Xbox One hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Xbox One. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Xbox One. Except if they want to play Titanfall. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a Xbox One over a PS4 (except TV SPORTS KINECT LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was Xbox One.

There may be some hardcore gamer's that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Microsoft is done.

This is the most melodramatic post I have ever read on this forum. No doubt the situation is not great for either Microsoft or to a greater extent Nintendo. However, we are less than a year in. I take the decision not to take as many loans out as possible and bet on one horse, when there is a possible decades worth of all manner of gaming advances yet to be seen

Nice try Mid. You're not fooling anyone.

Actually I think it's you Sony fans who aren't fooling anyone. You guys now thought that a less powerful more expensive console would now sell more? Ha. Which is it going to be? People aren't going to buy it or they are?

TitanFall did what it was supposed to do. Sell. And it looks like it's the top selling game of the month. Beating out everything.

The safe bet was to say MS would win the month of March. That way when it happened you guys could say see.. .TitanFall. And then like expected when it didn't because of you know.. price and power difference... then the TF can't save the xbox. Like it's selling bad. Lol...

Either way TF did great and was the best selling game. Even selling more games than the console that has like 3 million more sold exclusive did.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Bro do you have a big nose, and are you looking down that big nose at us console plebeians?

Is your face like:
Igor.jpg

Unofficial price drops do help. Packed in games do help. Come on mannnnnnn

It's funny because it is kind of ridiculous, I've fallen into that trap myself but as long as it's sales don't significantly affect your variety of games it does matter which company vying for your money is doing better than another company vying for your money. Of course if it does affecting your choice in software then it makes sense for your concern.

It's simply a retrospective laugh at this whole situation.

viveks86

NPD thread hype has peaked. The next 2 months will come and go. Bish needs to think of something creative to do with his unoccupied bunker.

hohoXD123

Could a kind GAFer and/or Aquamarine or Nirolak catch up a poor besotted Vermonter who was out shoe shopping?
NPD released

PS4 60k more than X1 despite Titanfall + Hype Machine overload + unofficial price cuts

GAF explodes

Bish exits his bunker

Dent and Kuchera question NPD validity

GAF laughs

Sony announces 7 mil WW "sold through", Microsoft announces 5 mil " sold in" (or shipped)

Verge takes it to mean the same thing, states that PS4 leading by 2 mil

GAF laughs

Kusagari

Better games may down the road.

All this "titanfall couldn't help it" shit boggles my mind. Titanfall was never marketed as the second coming of Jesus to the gaming community. Yes there as a huge push but never to salvage Microsofts position in the industry. Let's wait to see if better games can give Microsoft the momentum it needs

2569663-3705500310-iv498.gif

You're joking right?

I think Titan Fall was their move........

Pretty sure they expected it to be their trump card. The point in time when they would say "TF is when we turned the Xbone around".

At least they still have gears and halo.

One game, assuming it's not Wii Sports or Grand Theft Auto III, isn't a move. That's the part I have always rejected, that Titanfall (and, specifically, its release) would make any real difference. It would have to be a breakout phenomenon (see: aforementioned titles), and for all the accolades (I'm assuming, I haven't read any reviews or anything), this doesn't seem like one of them, and it would have been very presumptuous to even think it could have been.

It's over, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Xbox One hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Xbox One. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Xbox One. Except if they want to play Titanfall. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a Xbox One over a PS4 (except TV SPORTS KINECT LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was Xbox One.

There may be some hardcore gamer's that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

I was waiting for this post :D delivered!

ibpXWERxxKAXHX.gif

Massa

Good numbers all around, nice to see next-gen taking off.

Sony may announced 10 million shipped at E3, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an Xbox One reboot like the PS3 had in 2009 (new marketing, slim hardware and new price point).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for explaining this.

It is difficult to compare when Sony and MS don't use the same measurement though (at least that I've seen). So what we know is that PS4 has approx 7M "sold-through" and XB1 has approx 5M "sold-in"? Or do we have "sold-through" numbers for both?

We know the PlayStation sold through numbers and the Xbox One sold-in (shipment) numbers.

For Sony they're selling out pretty quickly so the sold-through isn't very different, so their incentive is to report sold-through as it's the more impressive way to report numbers.

For Microsoft there's definitely a lag, so reporting sold-in for an extra 500K or whatever is more worthwhile to them.

When the PS4 stabilizes for a while they will probably move to shipments, at which point we can compare them directly from that front.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Very true, even with price parity, MS has an incredibly uphill battle. Perception is heavily in PS4 favor. Price alone will not do it. Games won't even do it.

The PS4 is still a better piece of hardware at price parity. They need to be cheaper than the ps4. I'd say 379 and below will allow the xbone to reach parity or do better than the ps4 in the US.

Authority

Banned
Polygon has published some solid investigatory pieces of actual journalism done by competent writers.

Needless to say, that level of quality isn't exactly consistent across the entire site.

I completely agree with you. Well said.

It does sadden me personally that the level of quality is not consistent considering that they are able to produce master pieces such as this one.

Btw, I just looked for a photo I took on March 30th in a german Saturn (biggest electronics retailer together with Media Markt):

xqa4i2qm.png

Anyone know what's wrong?

They sold the Titanfall Bundle with a 2nd controller for 499€. Next to it: The standard edition for 499€. What kind of advertising is this?
MS needs to support retailers and allow them to create "unofficial" bundles with a retail copy of a game for the same price, or else these green boxes will exist until dust eats them up.

LuuKyK

This is the most melodramatic post I have ever read on this forum. No doubt the situation is not great for either Microsoft or to a greater extent Nintendo. However, we are less than a year in. I take the decision not to take as many loans out as possible and bet on one horse, when there is a possible decades worth of all manner of gaming advances yet to be seen

Its a meme though.

Better games may down the road.

All this "titanfall couldn't help it" shit boggles my mind. Titanfall was never marketed as the second coming of Jesus to the gaming community. Yes there as a huge push but never to salvage Microsofts position in the industry. Let's wait to see if better games can give Microsoft the momentum it needs

Apparently you haven't seen Titan fall.

Dai Kaiju

I just got into the thread and unfortunately don't have time to read much of it, but I really hope you don't get banned over that post by some mod who doesn't get the reference.

Mocking a ridiculous (albeit ancient in GAF years) post by Amir0x is all well and good, but in your satire, you make a valid point without actually stating it.

Anyone can make a comeback no matter how buttfucked they appear to be at the moment.

About the 5 million shipped number... Did stores return unsold vanilla XBOX ONE's to MS in exchange for the new Titanfall bundles? Is it possible some of that 5 million includes ONE's that were shipped but already returned...? If so, yikes!

The good news (as someone that doesn't yet own an Xbox One) is that MS is going to have to drop the price if they want any sales. I'd hope for a $400 with Kinect and a $350 SKU without it. Hopefully they have something to announce sooner rather than later. I imagine an E3 price drop if they can even hold out that long.

This is the most melodramatic post I have ever read on this forum. No doubt the situation is not great for either Microsoft or to a greater extent Nintendo. However, we are less than a year in. I take the decision not to take as many loans out as possible and beat on one horse when there is a possible decades worth of gaming advances yet to be seen

Geez, how many people are going to quote this and not realize it's a joke.

Portugeezer

So TitanFall did it's job. Sold the most games. Great game with great sales. The highest selling exclusive for any console. Beating Infamous.

It was meant to sell systems, but it sold less week for week.

Honestly, make a Kinectless SKU, $350/£300, and they're back in business.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Actually I think it's you Sony fans who aren't fooling anyone. You guys now thought that a less powerful more expensive console would now sell more? Ha. Which is it going to be? People aren't going to buy it or they are?

TitanFall did what it was supposed to do. Sell. And it looks like it's the top selling game of the month. Beating out everything.

The safe bet was to say MS would win the month of March. That way when it happened you guys could say see.. .TitanFall. And then like expected when it didn't because of you know.. price and power difference... then the TF can't save the xbox. Like it's selling bad. Lol...

Either way TF did great and was the best selling game. Even selling more games than the console that has like 3 million more sold exclusive did.

Someone's having a meltdown.

The day is April 18 2014 and a somber tension hangs in the air within the Polygon offices. The offices that just one year before were bustling with activity and laughter. But now the laughter has faded. The desks are lined with workers, with catatonic stares as the employees come to contemplate the news. The horrifying truth. There is no banter in the office, all that can be heard is a small echoing sobbing from the bathrooms and the furious mashing of a keyboard from Ben Kuchera's desk. Arthur Gies kicks over a small bin and whispers "Titanfall... Titanfall was going to change everything". But in his heart he comes to realise the dream is over.

What a masterful dodge. Kudos.

LMAO. Fanboys be smoking crack. Most of my 360 friends list now shows up as XBOX One. In my circle of friends I know 5 people with XBONE and 1 with PS4. XBOX One is outselling 360. PS3 was in 2nd and did fine. I would applaud your use of hyperbole but I feel that you actually believe the hype.

I said the same thing. more of my friends list are upgrading to the 1. I only know one person who switched over to PS4. The rest haven't bought the x1 because they can't afford to. Couple said they're waiting until fall for games like Destiny and next halo.

SMH please look up what a "meme" is...

reKon

Banned

You did not understand that reference.

Someone should make captain American version of that

The Llama

So if we assume MS has sold ~4m XB1's to consumers, that means there are over 1 million XB1's sitting on store shelves (and in warehouses). My god. Could be even worse than that (if they haven't hit 4m sold to consumers yet).

Orayn

So do we have approximate LTD sales for the old #1 and #2 Xbone games? I want to start narrowing down Titanfall sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm assuming it missed its target sales given we haven't heard how many units it sold.
Even if we assume that, it's not too uncommon for EA to go ahead with something that sells a lot, but not as much as they may have hoped.

It's the top game of the month despite being a new IP and Respawn is pretty tiny for a major developer, so marching on with a multiplatform sequel on an IP they know was well received critically and sold a fair number of units is pretty safe.

Their CFO has basically been implying they intend to keep this going for quite a while.

Top Bottom