• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

They sold the Titanfall Bundle with a 2nd controller for 499€. Next to it: The standard edition for 499€. What kind of advertising is this?
MS needs to support retailers and allow them to create "unofficial" bundles with a retail copy of a game for the same price, or else these green boxes will exist until dust eats them up.

I think they are, at least in the US. I've been seeing normal Xbox One boxes with "Includes [game] (as a digital code)!" slapped on them lately, when I don't believe they were bundles before. I mean that's sort of official, but clearly meant as a secondary effort to push old consoles out of retailer storage.

Target's was pretty crazy. They had the console with a recent game (Forza I think?) for $449. You got a $50 Gift Card on top of that. You were allowed to use your Red Card, which is a 5% savings (doesn't even cover tax, but it's still something), AND they were simultaneously running a promotion where you got a major discount on controllers and certain accessories and Xbox Live cards if you bought them at the same time. I don't know how long that promotion was going on, but that's a hell of a retailer push.

I think this was during the same week where they were running their Buy 2 Get 1 Free promotion on all games.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'll repeat myself - he clearly says in one of his tweets that it's 'only good for basic hardware sales data'.

So enough with the 'digital console sales' nonsense - he didn't say it, I didn't say it.

Calm down buddy, he was just joking around.

Not yet. Soon maybe.

Always a silver lining.

Just meant for the Month. :) But ya, I hear ya...

And to those with the doom and gloom that MS is done for.. uh, the 360 did great, and this little one here
Xbox One continues selling at a strong pace with 311,000 units sold in the U.S. in the month of March, surpassing Xbox 360 sales by more than 60 percent at the same point in time.

That seems like they're doing and gonna be just fine.

Dragon

Banned
May have been asked, but is Titanfall on the XB1 the highest selling game in March, or the highest selling game in March when taking the XB1 and PC into account?

We do not know unfortunately. My guess would be physical PC sales for Titanfall would be pretty small.

It's a shame it came from him because it's a very good point - look at the headline about the drop in software sale from retail. Is digital picking up that gap? Is the overall market growing but the retail channel shrinking?

It's a shame that places like Japan have better tracking of digital sales than the US. Although I guess that should be blamed more on Sony/Microsoft than NPD.

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
UtOAy4j.gif

Kysen

The winner in all this is EA, MS paid upfront for the game as well as the advertising. MS cant be happy with this result, only 311k units last month with an extra SKU and a price drop at some retailers. Now that the 360 version is out, you can forget about a boost next month.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So what are the odds Infamous: Second Son outsold the XBO version of Titanfall?

PC retail is very small, so not too high.

Like it's not unusual for PC retail games to do like 12K in their opening month NPD even for titles that might end up doing 1+ million digitally worldwide.

This is why you see a lot of companies not ship physical versions of PC games in North America anymore (they do better in Europe).

To everyone thinking a price drop is going to make this better, it will not. X1 needs games, something to justify the purchase. At best a price drop will give them a one month bump.

Yep.

I know next to nothing about either library, but my impression from the sidelines is that it's in no better or worse position with software than Sony is. $399 vs $499, or even an "unofficial" $449, is just an unfavorable position to be in. I think if they drop the price, they can get close. I don't know that they could ever win, maybe just lead the odd month here or there. But without parity, there's simply no chance. None.

One game, assuming it's not Wii Sports or Grand Theft Auto III, isn't a move. That's the part I have always rejected, that Titanfall (and, specifically, its release) would make any real difference. It would have to be a breakout phenomenon (see: aforementioned titles), and for all the accolades (I'm assuming, I haven't read any reviews or anything), this doesn't seem like one of them, and it would have been very presumptuous to even think it could have been.

Microsoft thought so...

Ya know, the moment where I thought the Titanfall ad campaign was getting to be too much was when I saw it in the movie ads before Captain America 2 was starting. I was like man Microsoft is getting desperate for this title.

What's XBO's next AAA game?

dakun

it's crazy how the PS4 sells really.. just an example out of Germany

i have been going to the the biggest electronic shop "Media Markt" just about every week since launch and haven't seen a single PS4 until today. Xbox One's were there since day one and it never looked like they had problems making it look like there are tons of One's in the shop.

Like i said today for the first time i saw PS4's being sold.. but you couldn't buy the console by itself.. they only offered a special bundle containing:
PS4
PS Camera
Controller
Killzone
Infamous
MGS Ground Zeroes

all for about 570€. and the freaking pile of PS4's was down to 4-5 units at the end of the day. I'm still glad i preordered on Amazon the day it went up.

To everyone thinking a price drop is going to make this better, it will not. X1 needs games, something to justify the purchase. At best a price drop will give them a one month bump.
The products are pretty comparable. The price disparity is the major differentiation. Although the difference in hardware power may provide greater value even at the same price.

Did it? I didn't see the Xbone numbers for Titanfall.

Also, the fact that it released on PC and 360 means its really not that exclusive, right?

Don't think 360 numbers are in this are they? And I'm guessing the PC numbers sold are small beans compared to the X1 numbers. Like most PC vs Console of the same game numbers are.

Price drop is more important since I think it's arguable X1 has the better current line up. But a price drop is not the end all be all of what they need to do. The power difference is hurting them (not something they can change at this point) and they need a fundamental shift in the perception consumers have in them as a whole. That's not something that's going to happen overnight.

N.Domixis

Banned
The best thing about ps4 winning is that we wont have any more BS about how titanfall will change the game, like it would have happened if MS won this month. I also find it funny how every time amazon showed ps4 as #1 it actually won the months NPD.

It feeels sooo good seeing all the crow being served to all the people claiming xbox had it in the bag. :)

Tabular

Banned
Ok so we know American sales outcome. What are WW March figures? PS4 must have really cleaned up. Infamous could even be #1 game for March no?

mcrommert

Banned
May have been asked, but is Titanfall on the XB1 the highest selling game in March, or the highest selling game in March when taking the XB1 and PC into account?

From the individual tweets it is the #1 on xbox one

And for those for who this xbox sales news makes sad (among which i'm one of them) it is better for Microsoft to be on the defensive...we have seen what happens when they get cocky

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kuchera is right about NPD not counting digital sales, and who knows how many Xbox Ones were sold digitally in March. This could be huge.

Pretty much my line of thought. It's a retail sales data company, we know they don't count digital sales, which is why there seems to be such a large drop in software sales YoY, and it would make no difference in consoles anyway.

Nzyme32

People still fall for this?
Yes, since I literally just glanced by the post now, read the results, and the first page of comments. Some of us don't own any consoles but are still interested and a fan of the medium as a whole. Seeing the reactions to this post is just beyond me. I had no idea some take this console wars stuff so full on amd some are equally sarcastic about it. Sucks to be me wondering by right?

Ranger X

I must be an alien apparently but I never thought in a million years that a new IP would have reversed the steam. I am not surprised at this NPD results, it sounds in line with what I would have thought. The only thing that is almost surprising is that the general sales of Xbone aren't better than last month, that's all.

delta25

Banned
As much as I'm intrenched in the PS4 I still want to see Xbone succeed. I wouldn't be surprised if MS goes full bore and buy's up some big exclusives that nobody we'll see coming. Some kind of exclusive with the next GTA or possibly a new Red Dead is something I could really see happening at this point.

Top Bottom