• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Bruno MB

For those who are concerned about Dark Souls II performance.

US (1st month)

Dark Souls - around 350k
Dark Souls II - around 350k

UK (1st week)

Dark Souls II - 20% increase over Dark Souls.

Japan (first 5 weeks)

Dark Souls - 302,588
Dark Souls II - 329,412

Road

All I know is VGChartzzzz was way more accurate than me because I predicted the Xbone doubling up the PS4 in March.

I just checked and the numbers vgc pulled out of their asses were XBO > PS4.

If you want to be delusional and believe they're more than a rand() function, good for you. But it's another thing to come here and lie about their lies. =P

And they had PS4 at 6.9 million before the 7 million figure was announced by Sony.

I know you guys like to shit on them, but they do a decent job with what they have.

Should all the people in NeoGAF who said PS4 will be at 7 million by then end of March start a website?

That's a big number. Beat their Fiscal Year projection by a month

I say 7 million by end of March

To only sell 1.8m in three months including a Japanese launch would be, in my view, disappointing. Especially given the supply issues pre 2014.

I have to go with 7m.

i will say 7 million is possible. With most people waiting for inFamous and Japan launch. I can see Japan doing 1m for sales till the end of march. And with people still waiting for their ps4. 7million is possible

27 out of 427.

PS4 has 7 million user base and by if TLG comes out this holiday it will have a user base of 12 million.

12 million*(27/427) = 760 000 sales

Beast.

So XBone isn't selling terribly but it's being beaten quite comfortably by PS4 in hardware sales in most of the countries Worldwide (some suggest it's 7 million to 4 million at the moment). Even more worryingly is retailers selling off unsold Titanfall bundles in not only the US but also the UK, previously two of the 360's strongest markets.

7 Million PS4's is too much to pass up on I guess.

7 million vs 4 million is a good estimate.

PS4 is basically doing close to double the performance world wide

No source, but it sounds possible. Xbox one is probably around 4 million while ps4 is at least 7 million.

I know now that my March NPD predictions are going to be so wrong

Do think it suggest Sony had a good March in the US though

I think they'll hit 7 million by the end of it

Chatrz is the Creationism of sales-age.

God help me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So we have a pretty good picture of top SW:

1. Titanfall > 1M
  2. Infamous: Second Son < 500K
  3. South Park: Stick of Truth < 440K
    (360 <242K)
  4. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  5. Dark Souls II < 350K
    (PS3 <178K, 360 <172K)
  6. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes < 280K
    (PS4 <151K, XBO <56K, PS3 <53K)

Still lots of HW blindspots. Pie graph, pretty please?

We have xb1 and 360 hardware, we know that PS4 > xb1, and apparently 'playstation' > 'Xbox'. We should be able to estimate PS3 numbers based on previous data and current 360, so should be able to estimate PS4 (and thuway says PS4 was 60k above xb1)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Possible to have sales for obscure Japanese games as well?

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
Deception IV: Blood Ties
The Witch and the Hundred Knight

Yaiba got what it deserved. Probably more than it deserved, actually.

KoopaTheCasual

If Titanfall did 1m+, why the hell wouldn't MS include that in their press release???
Because apparently if it doesn't sell like Halo or COD it's not worth it. So stupid. Such a shame that MS aren't proud of the numbers, simply because it's not the second coming.

Edit: I guess I'm completely off base.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
This is what happens when you force something on people that they don't want. Kinectless SKU in 3... 2... 1...

Hats off to you Sony, a well deserved win for recognizing what people want and delivering it to them.

So after seeing this... Will Microsoft aim for another exclusive deal for Titanfall 2?

I would be surprised if MS never offered a publishing deal to Respawn...

Sticking with EA, imo, kinda kills that chance. I don't think we'll ever see another scale of an unprecedented partnership like what EA had with MS for launch/launch window.

Orayn

For those who are concerned about Dark Souls II performance.

US (1st month)

Dark Souls - around 350k
Dark Souls II - around 350k

UK (1st week)

Dark Souls II - 20% increase over Dark Souls.

Japan (first 5 weeks)

Dark Souls - 302,588
Dark Souls II - 329,412

Dark Souls II: A game of moderate popularity and consistent sales across most regions. The king of understated accolades.

and apparently 'playstation' > 'Xbox'.
From where?
-----

Thought it would be interesting.
  1. Titanfall > 1M
  2. Infamous: Second Son < 500K
  3. South Park: Stick of Truth < 440K
    (360 <242K)
  4. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  5. Dark Souls II < 350K
    (PS3 <178K, 360 <172K)
  6. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes < 280K
    (PS4 <151K, XBO <56K, PS3 <53K)
Y/Y comp.

1. Bioshock Infinite - 878K
  2. Tomb Raider - 640K
  3. Gears of War: Judgement - 620K
  4. God of War: Ascension - 570K
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  6. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 365K

Coupled with fewer releases, just a tough month to try to beat I guess.

hawk2025

That Ground Zeroes split is crazy.

It feels like struggling with the development and even making exclusive content was a waste of the team's time in the end.

Although I suppose the Phantom Pain sales are likely to be much larger across the board.

Usobuko

Banned
Dark Souls II: A game of moderate popularity and consistent sales across most regions. The king of understated accolades.

There's also a slight jump from people who previously bought on ps3/360 and waiting on the pc release now. Like me. At that time, we don't know it was coming to PC previously, no?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's also a slight jump from people who previously bought on ps3/360 and waiting on the pc release now. Like me. At that time, we don't know it was coming to PC previously, no?

Then there's the people like me who bought it on PS3 and have it pre-ordered on PC, too!

Orayn

Yeah, PC release wasn't confirmed until March IIRC, and it did pretty damn well for a port that was nearly 11 months late. It certainly found a fanbase there.

cafemomo

Wii + Wii U < 100k -__-

6aZizcK.gif

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Actually, I'd say that performance is really good given the marketplace. Everything is down like 30% compared to previous release. Flat is the new Big Win!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Really wish they had gone next gen exclusive with MGSV. Last gen sales will be totally dried up by the time Phantom Pain hits.

Amir0x

Banned
Mario Kart and Smash Bros. have no chance at turning that situation around. Nintendo, toss your hail mary's at E3, and hope your QOL product and marketing line up is what you dream it to be

Vita must have sold 2 total units for the month

My "Age of Sony" is done post, made when FFXIII exclusivity was lost. My point was referencing the symbolic aspect of FFXIII being the last major third party exclusive they had, and they then lost it. It was symbolic of every franchise they had lost exclusivity of, and represented the low point to me of Sony's future standing given what had come before with the loss of goodwill between them and the community. But of course, they started listening, turned it around, and now are PS4 gangbusters. Clearly, the age of Sony still has at least one more gen ;)

Thanks for explaining!!!

Top Bottom