• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

On Demand

Banned
Amazon just fucked up their best seller charts again with Black Ops 3 the same way MKX was. Only the XBO version shows up and in the top 1 continuously only shows that it's counting the PS4 versions like PS4 MK was doing with the XBO version. Amazon better not keep doing this messing with the prediction tracking for monthly charts.

How do you know this? I never knew there was an issue with MKX. I was wondering why the PS4 version is not even ranked, but honestly not that surprised seeing how COD favors XB.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1567748922&pf_rd_i=468642

I don't normally observe these threads, but with the release of Bloodborne I felt as though I had a horse in the race. I'm elated that it's doing so well. I figured that it wouldn't be able to topple Battlefield (franchise shooter released on every platform vs a console exclusive) but it's nice to see something that was considered niche by many be embraced by the masses.

Congrats to From/Sony! I hope that their partnership continues as both Demon's and BB stand as two of the best games ever made (in my opinion) and they clearly have the market to make lightning strike for a third time.

This is a pretty much perfect summary of how I feel about it.
Was worried that it wouldn't sell nearly as well as it clearly deserves to, but thankfully it seems to be able to fend for itself just fine.
I do wonder how well it will continue to sell throughout the year - with other games exclusive to current-gen or PS4 itself, I wouldn't be surprised if higher-than-normal numbers of people pick it up as it's being lauded as one of the best on PS4 right now.

In other news, bol.com have pre-orders up for CoD Blops 3 on old-gen so I guess there won't be the jump in PS4/Xbone sales this fall that I think a next-gen only title from them would bring about.

CDmcWM8W0AEd1-e.png

Unrelated:

I wish a lot of Juniors knew how to be more conservative until their Junior period is up.

Is there a secondary-TOS type post directed at Juniors regarding not diving head first into a ban?

Am I missing something or have PS4 sales on Amazon fallen off a cliff the last week or so? From top 10 to top 70.

PS4 Main SKU has been out since mid April, people are either forced to look for the two versions of PS4 with TLOU or buy the Main SKU from other sellers. That's why you see 3 SKU in the best seller charts mostly. (The main one, TLOU Bundle and the SKU with TLOU)

gtj1092

PS4 Main SKU has been out since mid April, people are either forced to look for the two versions of PS4 with TLOU or buy the Main SKU from other sellers. That's why you see 3 SKU in the best seller charts mostly. (The main one, TLOU Bundle and the SKU with TLOU)

I don't know why amazon doesn't just get rid of the stand alone SKU or just have it link directly to the TLOU bundle.

ZhugeEX

Banned
PS4 prices have been going as low as £220 (~$330) here in the UK recently, so a drop wouldn't surprise me at all.

The UK has always had a disregard for RRP when it comes to console pricing.

Even the PS3 and Xbox 360 could be bought ridiculously cheap back in the day.

Hell I remember when the PS1 was supposed to be £199 but was £130.

Busaiku

Are we sure that's across all platforms, and not just PS4? That seems really low given the total number of PlayStation owners, and the high attach rates for Plus on PS4 they were seeing early on.

Also, the press release (via Google Translate) says they've sold over eight billion pieces of PS4 software. Da fuq? =/
As evidenced by the numbers, PS Plus has little value to PS3/Vita owners. Which is why they made it mandatory for multiplayer on PS4. I know I would never get it otherwise, since I buy all games early on.
Also why I'm not interested in PS4, but I'm in the minority on that.

Javin98

Banned
Am I missing something or have PS4 sales on Amazon fallen off a cliff the last week or so? From top 10 to top 70.
The PS4's placings on the hourly charts have been very weird this month because it was constantly out of stock. The TLOU SKU doesn't seem to be moving to the top 20 positions either. This makes it harder to predict the sales for the PS4 in the next NPD prediction thread.....

The UK has always had a disregard for RRP when it comes to console pricing.

Even the PS3 and Xbox 360 could be bought ridiculously cheap back in the day.

Hell I remember when the PS1 was supposed to be £199 but was £130.

Sony have historically set the RRP to allow for a pretty healthy retailer markup which is one of the reasons UK retailers have always been happy to dedicate lots of space to Sony platforms, even where they are flailing as happned with the PS3 and Vita.

gtj1092

Sony have historically set the RRP to allow for a pretty healthy retailer markup which is one of the reasons UK retailers have always been happy to dedicate lots of space to Sony platforms, even where they are flailing as happned with the PS3 and Vita.

When was the Ps3 failing in the UK. Didn't have the biggest launch ever there at the time and has sold nearly 6 million units there is not more?

ZhugeEX

Banned
As evidenced by the numbers, PS Plus has little value to PS3/Vita owners. Which is why they made it mandatory for multiplayer on PS4. I know I would never get it otherwise, since I buy all games early on.
Also why I'm not interested in PS4, but I'm in the minority on that.

So here is my rough calculation.

10.9m - Jan 2015
7.9m - Oct 2014

Hirai confirmed that more than half of PS4 owners at the end of 2013 had a PS Plus subscription.

So that means at least 2.1m+ subscribers who also had a PS4.

We also know that cumulative total more than tripled worldwide according to Sony UK in the same time period so we can say with some certainty that there were at least more than 3 million PlayStation Plus subscribers at the end of 2013.

In comparison, Xbox Live has more than 17 million paying Gold members as of Q3 2014.

Is that a vanilla edition?

Might be an official HDD bump coming.

That particular price was the lowest I've seen - it was vanilla, no frills whatsoever, and only lasted 24 hours on the site which was hosting it.
Ended up going out of stock due to how cheap it actually was, but I've seen lots of other places engaging in PS4 price wars since then.
A few months ago it hardly ever dipped under £300 and suddenly in the past month or so, close to £250 has been a lot more common.

So people really just buy Plus for multi-player? That's so crazy. I guess it's not much use if you just buy every game day-one anyway, but the IGC is so awesome, not to mention the discounts. It certainly saves me a lot more than $50/year. =/

Amazon getting ready for dat $300 PS4 announcement on E3. ;)

Speaking seriously, now is a good time to drop the price since they don't have an ace-in-the-hole to combat Halo 5. The marketing deals should help somewhat, but I would still expect MS to take Nov/Dec again all else constant.

Oh so it didn't set the record for launch sales in the UK. Doesn't even make sense to list the vita and the Ps3 together.

PS3 sales dropped by 80% in its second week, and struggled until retailer led price cuts.
I mean, you might as well say the Xbox One is a huge success in the UK, but it had the same problems and the same cycle of retailer led price cuts relatively shortly after launch to stimulate demand.

The PS4's placings on the hourly charts have been very weird this month because it was constantly out of stock. The TLOU SKU doesn't seem to be moving to the top 20 positions either. This makes it harder to predict the sales for the PS4 in the next NPD prediction thread.....

I think it's time that we look at best sellers lists from other retailers to get a better picture.

Busaiku

There are Silver members. Over 48 million people are on Xbox Live.
But you can't play multiplayer games on Silver, right?
The system has sold nearly 100 million (it's over that with One), the most popular games are multiplayer shooters, yet less than 20% of those players are playing online? This is crazy to me.

Ty4on

The system has sold nearly 100 million (it's over that with One), the most popular games are multiplayer shooters, yet less than 20% of those players are playing online? This is crazy to me.

Sold =/= active players

cakely

I personally have owned five Xbox 360s (three bought, two replaced by Microsoft) and I only have one Xbox Gold account. I can't be the only one that's done this.

cakely

A better picture of what? Aren't we always talking about how useless these types of rankings are?

So far the Amazon monthly charts have predicted the relative ranking of this generation's game console NPD sales with 100% accuracy. They're very useful in that regard.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Business gaf. These numbers need attention

if 2014 and 2015 they have unit sales are both 360 + XBO combined then I'm not sure what that means. http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/Kpi/FY15/Q1/Detail.aspx

What numbers here need attention?
Microsoft has been combining Xbone + 360 sales since Xbone came out.

These numbers are also sold to retailer numbers; whereas Sony reports sold to consumer numbers.

Basically those numbers are saying 14.1 million Xbone + 360 units have been sold to retailers. If you subtract the stock in the distribution pipeline, you would get sold to consumer numbers which could be compared to what Sony reports.

I personally have owned five Xbox 360s (three bought, two replaced by Microsoft) and I only have one Xbox Gold account. I can't be the only one that's done this.

I don't think when you get a Xbox replaced by MS it is meant to be one more unit sold for them...if so then that's really sketchy if you ask me.

Also, it could be Vice-versa the situation, you can have 1 console but everyone in your family has a live account.

Welfare

I have owned 4 Xbox 360's myself. (2 fats, 2 slims, all bought)

I'll probably do the same this gen. I already own 2 One's, and will replace them with the Slim variant when it comes.

Game Guru

The thing people need to realize is that once a barrier like say a paywall is put up, there are some people who will just not make the effort to remove the barrier. There are some people who will buy a console and refuse to pay for online multiplayer.

However, the number of people who are willing to pay $50-$60 per year pretty much just for online multiplayer is large enough and profitable enough that companies believe it is worth putting the barrier up for people unwilling to pay that amount.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think when you get a Xbox replaced by MS it is meant to be one more unit sold for them...if so then that's really sketchy if you ask me.

Also, it could be Vice-versa the situation, you can have 1 console but everyone in your family has a live account.
Replace by MS doesn't count but most gamers didn't use the warranty and just buy a new one... that counts.

Top Bottom