• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

creatchee

Do people.....want KH3...to be exclusive or something?
Like, honest question.

I would say that only the stodgiest of fanboys would want it to be exclusive, so as to be another entry in their list wars. Everyone else realizes that more people get to play it if it's on multiple consoles, and more potential sales increases the likelihood for future sequels and spinoffs.

Based on the breakdown of BF it seems Bloodborne barely missed out on being top SKU. That would have been quite the coup. Sadly they have to take #3 under 2 BF versions.

Do people.....want KH3...to be exclusive or something?
Like, honest question.

Even it bombs accross the board on Xbox, it'd still pull a few hundred thousand (WW).
If that's enough for SE, then sure. Who cares?
SE cares, depending on the porting and licensing costs. They're almost assuredly bound by contract to publish XV and KH3 to the XB1 (NA/EU) but were they able to rewrite those contracts now after seeing the insane console breakdown of RPGs and other Japanese-y games and the console sales worldwide they might choose to pass. Must feel pretty awkward to develop a game that'll be imported elsewhere for one console but not even have a version of it exist in your home market.

Bsigg12

I can see that happening considering Xbox One is losing badly in Europe, is dead in Japan and is strong in USA but this type of game doesn't appeal to the demographic.

Let's say that FF XV opens on NPD with the same sales of FF XIII (1.3m). If almost 80% sales are for PS4, XOne version will open with less than 300k.

A small piece in USA, even smaller in Europe and nothing in Japan will be enought to justify more suport? Maybe, maybe not.

I think with FFXV at release we'll see the PS4 outsell the Xbox One version, there's no doubt about it. That said, I think a proper FF will garner far more purchases on the Xbox One than a PSP remaster with a demo. Kingdom Hearts, by being Unreal Engine based, I think comes to the system regardless of the sales of XV. It's an environment that Microsoft has heavily worked with rather than a proprietary engine like the Luminous Engine they're using for XV so getting the game running won't be nearly the task it must be with XV.

As far as Square Enix goes, I don't see them not putting a game out on the Xbox One in the US, barring a paid exclusive, because there will be decent to good sales. Smaller Japanese publishers would probably have to be courted pretty heavily by Microsoft but I don't see them pushing too hard unless it's some major brand that they managed to get a previous entry on the 360 and already had a working relationship.

Alrus

Based on the breakdown of BF it seems Bloodborne barely missed out on being top SKU. That would have been quite the coup. Sadly they have to take #3 under 2 BF versions.

SE cares, depending on the porting and licensing costs. They're almost assuredly bound by contract to publish XV and KH3 to the XB1 (NA/EU) but were they able to rewrite those contracts now after seeing the insane console breakdown of RPGs and other Japanese-y games and the console sales worldwide they might choose to pass. Must feel pretty awkward to develop a game that'll be imported elsewhere for one console but not even have a version of it exist in your home market.

That's nothing new, both Dark Souls didn't have a 360 version in Japan, FF XIII was PS3 exclusive in Japan for quite a long time, I'm sure there's a couple other examples out there.

Putty

Terrific to see BB at #2. Disappointed to see my American cousins bought into the garbage that is BF:Hardline....Sony should be locking From Software into that sequel right about now.....March 2017.....

GnawtyDog

Banned
What do you mean? Low sales?

I really wish we could get worldwide numbers more often because that is much more important to PS4.

Yeah the drop will be significant I think (but so was last year too..... (may be worse)).

The 100k gap I considered a safe bet, but hec, it was closer than I thought.

Wrong.

We have the greatest food.

You're right. I especially love this:
xn5ieH9.jpg

Xenus

I think with FFXV at release we'll see the PS4 outsell the Xbox One version, there's no doubt about it. That said, I think a proper FF will garner far more purchases on the Xbox One than a PSP remaster with a demo. Kingdom Hearts, by being Unreal Engine based, I think comes to the system regardless of the sales of XV. It's an environment that Microsoft has heavily worked with rather than a proprietary engine like the Luminous Engine they're using for XV so getting the game running won't be nearly the task it must be with XV.

As far as Square Enix goes, I don't see them not putting a game out on the Xbox One in the US, barring a paid exclusive, because there will be decent to good sales. Smaller Japanese publishers would probably have to be courted pretty heavily by Microsoft but I don't see them pushing too hard unless it's some major brand that they managed to get a previous entry on the 360 and already had a working relationship.

Eh Sony doesn't need to even offer money to keep SE off of the XBO at this point looking at sales. Just a we'll help with marketing will do it for 95% of games and a we'll offer you 2-5 mil and give you a destiny style marketing blow out would likely do it for both FFXV and KH3 combined assuming they didn't accept money from Microsoft to make them in the first place.

klee123

Eh Sony doesn't need to even offer money to keep SE off of the XBO at this point looking at sales. Just a we'll help with marketing will do it for 95% of games and a we'll offer you 2-5 mil and give you a destiny style marketing blow out would likely do it for both FFXV and KH3 combined assuming they didn't accept money from Microsoft to make them in the first place.

To be honest, at this point, it would be better for Sony to use those resources just to fund for more exclusive jrpgs than to keep content from the competition, especially when the games in question will sell in a ratio of 9:1 worldwide in Sony's favor.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
FFF ~ 35
Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace ~ 31

LTD:
Mushroom ~ 326
ZU ~ 204
B2 ~ 157

101 ~ 104
TEARAWAY ~ 75

[NDS] Fossil Fighters {2009.08.10} - 92,000 in 20 days
[3DS] Fossil Fighters Frontier {2015.03.20} - 35,000 (retail only) in 15 days

Surely a consistent drop from the first one, but it wasn't a huge franchise since the beginning, and it shouldn't stop selling right away, considering it's also at 29.99. Btw, what's the LTD for the first FF? Did we ever get to know that?

Codename:STEAM, instead (22 days counted) is a bomba. Nintendo didn't even promote it at launch IIRC (I mean, no TV ad), but it's a bomba. I doubt the upcoming update will help its sales at all.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
December - 250,000
January - 30,000
February + March - 46,000

It's still selling, good. Wasn't it over 150,000 in Japan by January? In the case, it should be near 500,000 with US+Japan combined. I wonder if it can hit 1 million WW (at least in shipments) in the next 12 months

Bayonetta 2 was at <135,000 in December, it sold 10,000 in January (thus, < 145,000) and now it's at 157,000. This means it sold >12,000. Including first month's digital sales (10% of debut), it's at around 164,000 units sold (it's actually slightly higher, since I'm incuding just first month digital sales, but the max is 170,000 IMHO). In 6 months, it did outsell what Bayonetta 1 sold on PS3 in 18 months (150,000), and now it's going for what it sold on 360 in 18 months.

Zombi U FINALLY over 200,000 units sold in US XD It had major price cuts, so it had to do it eventually...launch period (excluding the launch week) sucked so much for Wii U...

See you guys in a decade or two :)

I think current plane tickets to some SE Asian countries are currently ~730 bucks or something.

I know we are both Malaysians, but is it wrong if I like Western cuisine more? :(

HERESY!!!

Nah.

But Malaysia food is essentially cheat mode, because we're a melting pot of Indian,Chinese, Malay food culture.

You're forgetting Indonesian food culture as well.

If there's one thing I love about Singaporean cuisine it is their Laksa.

ps4 still in that weird spot between great for sony and soft for a market leader. i think next year will be the big year for growth, but not so sure about 2018 onward. depends when the 2013 systems get down to $200 and less.

I don't think it's doing too bad in comparison as market leader considering its price.

Aroll

I don't call sub 100k as respectable, but is good that Wii U it's consistently up YoY. This streak is close to a end tought.

Well, it's respectable for the Wii U, not necessarily in comparison to anything else.

I think it will continue to be up YoY until we hit the month MK8 came out last year. That's when we'll see a decline, since there are no blockbusters to boost it to similar numbers. Splatoon should help it maintain a YoY gain during the spring here.

What was May '14?
I thought I remembered MKs effect being kind of split along May and June

May 2014 was merely 61k, June 2014 was 140k though

if May 2015 ends up being 65k or something, the entire NPD thread will have to put up with so much crap leading up to June 2015....

Xenus

To be honest, at this point, it would be better for Sony to use those resources just to fund for more exclusive jrpgs than to keep content from the competition, especially when the games in question will sell in a ratio of 9:1 worldwide in Sony's favor.

Yeah I don't think it's worth it to Sony to do it at this point so if it does come to pass it's likely only a SE decision at this point. Just pointing it out it won't take much more than a bag a peanuts for Sony to do it at this point if they wanted to.

Yep, agreed. One of the main reasons tourists visit Malaysia is for the food!

P.S. I know we're getting off topic, but there is nothing wrong talking about food :)

The food conversation came about because apparently Chobel has to eat a hat and Welfare has to eat crow. I merely commented that fried crow was tasty because of personal experience. :p

EDIT:
On-topic:
Would it be fair to assume that Bloodborne had roughly 50k to 60k digital sales on the North American PSN?

Vena

Wouldn't most if not all the people interested in Splatoon already have a Wii U though? I don't see how it would entice new buyers personally.

Well, not if they bundle it with Halo 5.

More, your logic is a bit odd, no? Who's buying WiiU's now of all times? Shouldn't everyone already have one? :p

Hardline sold better on PS4? That's actually kinda surprising, didn't Battlefield traditionally sell better on Playstation last gen? Or am I remembering wrong?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bloodborne at 389,000 is an amazing result, holy crap. A great game, it seems, so great to see the Souls series actually improving it sales. Good job, Sony.

Mario Party 10 sales breakdown (given what we know)

Mario Party 10 - 290,000
Retail - < 270,000
Standard - <143,100
Bundle - <126,900
Digital - > 20,000

Digital should be nearly 10% of retail copies and slightly 6% of overall copies (retail + digital)

Also, before Sammy asks: an update on Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, please :D

GamerJM

Banned
It's still a shooter, which is relatively untapped.

That post was a likely joke though. No one actually expects Splatoon to sell any consoles.

Eh, I feel like somewhere, there's at least one random person (likely a core gamer) who is buying a Wii U mainly to play Splatoon. I mean it has a decent amount of hype on gaming-centric websites with a decent Nintendo fanbase.

Zalman

Mario Party selling so well is no surprise at all. The series has always done huge numbers. Good for Nintendo, but also sad it'll outperform instant classics like Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 by a large margin.

Top Bottom