• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Am I missing something or have PS4 sales on Amazon fallen off a cliff the last week or so? From top 10 to top 70.

iT'S BEING REPLACED BY THE tlou BUNDLE BUT THAT BUnDLE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE MOVING AND THE acu BUNDLE FOR xBOX ONE IS SOMEHOW STILL SELLING AND AT THIS MOMENT IS RIGHT NEXT TO ENTERING THE TOP 20 FOR REASON THAT MAKE NO SENSE TO ME.

Lol sorry about the caps, my phone is a mess.

Replace by MS doesn't count but most gamers didn't use the warranty and just buy a new one... that counts.

The issue with this theory is the majority of 360's sold when the RROD issue wasn't that much of a thing, combine that with MS shipping a ton of consoles to reach 10 million shipped the first year and taking awhile to move stock, i doubt RROD did much for sales numbers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The issue with this theory is the majority of 360's sold when the RROD issue wasn't that much of a thing, combine that with MS shipping a ton of consoles to reach 10 million shipped the first year and taking awhile to move stock, i doubt RROD did much for sales numbers.

still probably just a blip but there were likely more people in general trading in their consoles and buying new versions of the xbox than previous generations. the threads where people were trying to figure out what xbox phat revision they had was funny. people trying to "trade-up" to a new version every time a new SKU was discovered and anecdotal "evidence" that claimed a revision had less susceptibility to RROD.

Yep, but the best sellers list of other retailers are a mess, no where near as organized as Amazon's.

Gamestop is pretty straight forward.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=28-xu0,1343

Looks like Xbox one is ahead there, but I don't know it would be very strange if just randomly for this month the Xbox one pulls ahead after an 100k win last NPD if I looked at the thread correctly.

Then again it is a FULL month of the Halo MCC bundle....

I don't know what to believe, let's roll some dice.

Damn 4.

:0

Also to answer your previous post the TLOU bundle doesn't seems to be moving. it has increased and jumped into the top 50 but has been stuck around that area for awhile.

Edit: TLOU bundle is now trailing right behind the ACU bundle and heading into the top 20.

RexNovis

Banned
Maybe Corrinne Yu is not as gifted as we thought.

Ummm wtf does Corrine Yu have to do with stock levels at Amazon? If that's meant to be some kind of joke it makes no sense whatsoever.

She left Naughty Dog (Sony), joined Amazon for logistics projects and suddenly there are stock issues with PS4...
Do you see the pattern now?

...If there is a God may he forever ban you from attempting humor again.

Lemondish

Ummm wtf does Corrine Yu have to do with stock levels at Amazon? If that's meant to be some kind of joke it makes no sense whatsoever.

...If there is a God may he forever ban you from attempting humor again.

When you have to explain the joke, it no longer ends up being funny.

Square2015

Dreamcast remains king...
OILoRNX.png

Yep, but the best sellers list of other retailers are a mess, no where near as organized as Amazon's.

*Sighs* If only those retailers have their own monthly best sellers lists, too. I guess I'll just wait for Abdiel and other Bish-checked users' assessments. Btw, what happened to The Shogun? Just noticed that he's banned.

Javin98

Banned
Gamestop is pretty straight forward.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=28-xu0,1343

Looks like Xbox one is ahead there, but I don't know it would be very strange if just randomly for this month the Xbox one pulls ahead after an 100k win last NPD if I looked at the thread correctly.

Then again it is a FULL month of the Halo MCC bundle....

I don't know what to believe, let's roll some dice.

Damn 4.

:0

Also to answer your previous post the TLOU bundle doesn't seems to be moving. it has increased and jumped into the top 50 but has been stuck around that area for awhile.

Edit: TLOU bundle is now trailing right behind the ACU bundle and heading into the top 20.
I highly doubt that the XB1 would take April, considering that there were no significant titles releasing this month. Either way, the gap between the two should be pretty close.

*Sighs* If only those retailers have their own monthly best sellers lists, too. I guess I'll just wait for Abdiel and other Bish-checked users' assessments. Btw, what happened to The Shogun? Just noticed that he's banned.
Wait, The Shogun was banned?! That's shocking and disappointing. I love how he gives us some info on the current trends of sales, but I do find him slightly slanted towards XBox. Still pretty important to us regardless. Guess we're gonna have to rely on Abdiel, then.

I highly doubt that the XB1 would take April, considering that there were no significant titles releasing this month. Either way, the gap between the two should be pretty close.

Wait, The Shogun was banned?! That's shocking and disappointing. I love how he gives us some info on the current trends of sales, but I do find him slightly slanted towards XBox. Still pretty important to us regardless. Guess we're gonna have to rely on Abdiel, then.

Considering the Halo MCC is basically the best selling SKU outside of Amazon, it could be possible the reason may be just because we have a full month of that bundle.

But then on Amazon, the ACU bundle, which there's still stock for (why?) is in the top 15. So it's all very confusing.

Javin98

Banned
Considering the Halo MCC is basically the best selling SKU outside of Amazon, it could be possible the reason may be just because we have a full month of that bundle.

But then on Amazon, the ACU bundle, which there's still stock for (why?) is in the top 15. So it's all very confusing.
I have absolutely no idea how the Halo MCC bundle is doing outside of Amazon, but in the March NPD prediction thread, Abdiel said the bundle was not significantly increasing sales of the XB1 but rather effectively replacing the AC Unity bundle.

On Demand

Banned

Only at 2 retailers though. And only for a couple of days so far. PS4 has been the best selling for the majority of April.

Javin98

Banned
Only at 2 retailers though. And only for a couple of days so far. PS4 has been the best selling for the majority of April.
Specifically which retailer are you referring to? Honest question. It's been a weird state of affairs for the PS4 in April on Amazon.

Abdiel

Specifically which retailer are you referring to? Honest question. It's been a weird state of affairs for the PS4 in April on Amazon.

Things haven't changed here in the ground as far as trends go. Ps4 still selling better on a weekly basis, though I guess we've started sending out a coupon via email for a $50 gift card with the purchase of any Xb1, though I've only seen a few of those. Might help for a quick boost? Since it requires the customer bring in a coupon, it's less high impact.

I love my Wii U, but damn thats pathetic.

Some people may blame poor marketing and the name thing but that graph makes me think maybe some people felt burnt by the Wii.

Just pure speculation of course but from 1st by a country mile to this? It's almost as if Nintendo has been dumped from the mainstream consciousness of video gaming. If that makes sense (?).

I have absolutely no idea how the Halo MCC bundle is doing outside of Amazon, but in the March NPD prediction thread, Abdiel said the bundle was not significantly increasing sales of the XB1 but rather effectively replacing the AC Unity bundle.

I don't think using a small BB anecdotal evidence for a bundle that released late in march is a good idea. In my experience some best buys have PS4's on the floor with few box One's, and the Xbox One's being on the floor in others.

The main reason why I am wondering about this is because Xbox One looking at my link, is number one online at Gamestop, and this would be if not mistaken, the first time this has happened since launch if memory serves.

And then you have to wonder how ACU bundle is somehow back in the top 15, but everywhere else the ACU is pretty much gone. I will grant the Halo MCC is still above the reg PS4.

Too many questions not enough answers.

Espcially the ACU bundle, even if you were to count the "new deals" with NBA and the Live card it was already in the top 40, how is that thing still selling and how much stock do they have?

Javin98

Banned
Things haven't changed here in the ground as far as trends go. Ps4 still selling better on a weekly basis, though I guess we've started sending out a coupon via email for a $50 gift card with the purchase of any Xb1, though I've only seen a few of those. Might help for a quick boost? Since it requires the customer bring in a coupon, it's less high impact.
Thanks for the info again, Abdiel. So the PS4 has been selling better for the whole month in your store. Any idea about other stores?

I don't think using a small BB anecdotal evidence for a bundle that released late in march is a good idea. In my experience some best buys have PS4's on the floor with few box One's, and the Xbox One's being on the floor in others.

The main reason why I am wondering about this is because Xbox One looking at my link, is number one online at Gamestop, and this would be if not mistaken, the first time this has happened since launch if memory serves.

And then you have to wonder how ACU bundle is somehow back in the top 15, but everywhere else the ACU is pretty much gone. I will grant the Halo MCC is still above the reg PS4.

Too many questions not enough answers.

Espcially the ACU bundle, even if you were to count the "new deals" with NBA and the Live card it was already in the top 40, how is that thing still selling and how much stock do they have?
Yep, this month has been a pain in the ass to predict. The sooner we get the actual numbers, the better.

Thanks for the info again, Abdiel. So the PS4 has been selling better for the whole month in your store. Any idea about other stores?

Yep, this month has been a pain in the ass to predict. The sooner we get the actual numbers, the better.

Well we can always use the hole Amazon relative ranking thing to see who will win at least even if we can't predict sales, although I'm not sure if that will be skwed or not.

TLOU bundle seems to be having issues climbing though, I wonder if there's a reason for why it's low or if it's just not moving any needles. Then we have the question as to why despite now being on the features list the Halo MCC is falling LOWER but the ACU bundle is in the top 15.

My head hurts is basically the summary of this thread.

Edit: On Gamestop after a week, PS4 is back in front.

Edit: Excuse me ACU top 12 now on Amazon, where are they getting the stock to sustain the ACU bundle?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

StevieP

Banned
Some people may blame poor marketing and the name thing but that graph makes me think maybe some people felt burnt by the Wii.

Just pure speculation of course but from 1st by a country mile to this? It's almost as if Nintendo has been dumped from the mainstream consciousness of video gaming. If that makes sense (?).

Software sales for Wii suggest that people generally were pretty satisfied with their wiis (you can find anecdotes for anything to the contrary, but we're looking for facts. Like sales). Wii u is just a poor product in comparison. Mainstream consumers (the ones gaming on smartphones for example) don't care for dual analog pads, even if they're tethered to touch screens. Mario is still the most recognizable and mainstream video game character but one character can't salvage poor execution.

When people say it was poorly marketed they aren't just referring to its terrible advertising. The concept itself is just not compelling enough. It's got some great software which will salvage its reputation in the long run (sorta like the DC) but when your reveal is toxically awful it permeates through the life of the box no matter what you do to increase its perceived value. See: Xbox one.

IS it possible that the AC bundle is charting higher because they have 5 different version of a retailer bundle. And when each is sold they count the sale separately as opposed to one specific sku.

AC + 12 month Live
AC + 12 month Live + NBA
AC + Controller
AC + NBA

None of the above are official and rank in the thousands but if each unit is sold separately (despite being a bundle) then that could explain it.

LilZippa

Well we can always use the hole Amazon relative ranking thing to see who will win at least even if we can't predict sales, although I'm not sure if that will be skwed or not.

TLOU bundle seems to be having issues climbing though, I wonder if there's a reason for why it's low or if it's just not moving any needles. Then we have the question as to why despite now being on the features list the Halo MCC is falling LOWER but the ACU bundle is in the top 15.

My head hurts is basically the summary of this thread.

Edit: On Gamestop after a week, PS4 is back in front.

Edit: Excuse me ACU top 12 now on Amazon, where are they getting the stock to sustain the ACU bundle?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Your watching the hourly numbers which don't tell you much of anything.

Edit:

PS4 : 29
XB MCC : 45
XB AC : 55
PS4 AK : 67

Use this it track the sales for the month.

IS it possible that the AC bundle is charting higher because they have 5 different version of a retailer bundle. And when each is sold they count the sale separately as opposed to one specific sku.

AC + 12 month Live
AC + 12 month Live + NBA
AC + Controller
AC + NBA

None of the above are official and rank in the thousands but if each unit is sold separately (despite being a bundle) then that could explain it.

Nope because a lot of these didn't exist (or have been there a loonngg time) and last week and the week before ACU bundle was way below the Halo MCC, now it's flipped and that started happening late the week before last,

The recent deal of the Nba with live from 2 days ago working now and not working before is just very strange. They even have the Halo MCC features now and it's dropping.

But outside of Amazon the situation is in reverse so much it's almost like you're looking at a different dimension.

Your watching the hourly numbers which don't tell you much of anything.

Use this it track the sales for the month.

No, because that hasn't updated. So the last nearly 3 weeks of hourly, which has been pretty consistent outside ACU and the MCC bundle switching place, is pretty relevant.

But again as I told Javin, way to much switching between Halo and ACU, when the latter doesn't seem to exist outside of Amazon.

Then of course you have the TLOU bundle which is finally kicking the door down and is in the top 30.

LilZippa

No, because that hasn't updated. So the last nearly 3 weeks of hourly, which has been pretty consistent outside ACU and the MCC bundle switching place, is pretty relevant.

But again as I told Javin, way to much switching between Halo and ACU, when the latter doesn't seem to exist outside of Amazon.

Why is there new doubters every month that want to cling desperately to some hourly story they concoct?

Why is there new doubters every month that want to cling desperately to some hourly story they concoct?

Doubters? You haven't been following the thread have you? I'm saying these' too much conflicting information, the current monthly numbers can't help the situation if they aren't updated.

Boke1879

Then of course you have the TLOU bundle which is finally kicking the door down and is in the top 30.

Yea just noticed TLOU bundle is picking up steam now.

Javin98

Banned

Well, we'll just have to wait for the monthly charts to be updated for a clearer picture of the sales in April. But then again, with the PS4 consistently being out of stock on Amazon, I won't really consider it a good representation of sales.

Well, we'll just have to wait for the monthly charts to be updated for a clearer picture of the sales in April. But then again, with the PS4 consistently being out of stock on Amazon, I won't really consider it a good representation of sales.

Well TLOU bundle is supposed to take that area. I'm not entirely sure why that was struggling for a bit but it seems like it'll be back replacing the original in the top 20 soon.

How long has it not been updated for? Your claiming weeks or what?

1 week.

And why do you think that?

Because recent heavy hitters (Battlefront pre-orders, Blops 3 Pre-orders, software with price drops showing in the top 40 or higher) have not charted.

For example, Bloodborne is still 18 for the month, that doesn't make sense. Battlefront Pre-orders have been in the top 25 for awhile yet PS4 pre-order is at 63.

Xbox version of Mordor is 27th, that hasn't been in the top 30 for quite some time.

Maggots

Banned
So much good... and yet things aren't looking up? ... what a weird world we live in

Also... no numbers on PS4?

Pics or it didn't happen

Doubters? You haven't been following the thread have you? I'm saying these' too much conflicting information, the current monthly numbers can't help the situation if they aren't updated.

Well, we'll just have to wait for the monthly charts to be updated for a clearer picture of the sales in April.
You should ignore hourly charts, but you don't need to wait for the updated monthly. Amazon also has weekly charts. They don't get updated every day, but for complete past weeks they're a resource. In April:

WEEK 1
PS4: 16
One MCC: 34
One ACU: 63
PS4 AK: 73*

WEEK 2
One MCC: 47
One ACU: 60
PS4: 67
PS4 LOU: 80

WEEK 3
One ACU: 40
One MCC: 55
PS4 LOU: 70

* These will not count in April NPD, they're preorders only

It's true that the sales picture is less clear than usual due to the Amazon stock-out on the regular PS4 (which doesn't seem to have been a widespread thing). But resorting to the hourlies will never help clarify anything.

You should ignore hourly charts, but you don't need to wait for the updated monthly. Amazon also has weekly charts. They don't get updated every day, but for complete past weeks they're a resource. In April:

WEEK 1
PS4: 16
One MCC: 34
One ACU: 63
PS4 AK: 73*

WEEK 2
One MCC: 47
One ACU: 60
PS4: 67
PS4 LOU: 80

WEEK 3
One ACU: 40
One MCC: 55
PS4 LOU: 70

* These will not count in April NPD, they're preorders only

It's true that the sales picture is less clear than usual due to the Amazon stock-out on the regular PS4 (which doesn't seem to have been a widespread thing). But resorting to the hourlies will never help clarify anything.

Weekly doesn't tell us much because monthly position add things up and place them. Weekly is a specific area only. We have no idea if 40 one week is less or more than the 40 of another.

That's why we have no choice but to wait until monthly is updated. Usually it would happen by now bu since we only have 2 days left of the month I expect an update friday may 1st.

Abdiel

I don't check my own store, since I'm here and can just talk to customers and see our trends. I check on district levels for warehouse, shipping and sold numbers. I used to provide screen shots of the inventory system, but I stopped to protect myself, haha.

There's one off stores where the xb1 sells better, but the ps4 sells better across the board on the national level.

Top Bottom