• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

ZhugeEX

Banned
Ok So i was right then, by this point both the PS4 and Xbox one combined are less or around the same as the Wii alone. (it would have to be over 30 at this point.)

That's incredible.

You do realise the Wii launched in November 2006, therefore aligning sales till now would be till March 2008. Not the end of 2008.

You do realise the Wii launched in November 2006, therefore aligning sales till now would be till March 2008. Not the end of 2008.

I don't know if you actually read the above post, but I said over 30 not over 40. By THIS point.

Welfare gave me the end of 2008 numbers, I'm not using those. By now the Wii would be over 30 is that not right?

I Need more tags... :p

But Seriously, 8% is really small increase. Either Sony is very conservative in their predictions, or $100 price cut is not gonna happen.

Or it will happen next January, with deals in November/December to tide them over until an official price cut.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't know if you actually read the above post, but I said over 30 not over 40. By THIS point.

Welfare gave me the end of 2008 numbers, I'm not using those. By now the Wii would be over 30 is that not right?

But it wasn't 30m as of March 2008, it was ~24.5m. And PS4 +X1 combined is over 35 Million When aligned with the Wii launch.

Your numbers are all over the place.

We had this conversation before. Dont post incorrect numbers.

Elandyll

Banned

But Seriously, 8% is really small increase. Either Sony is very conservative in their predictions, or $100 price cut is not gonna happen.

Imo, they're just being conservative, given that they both saw a decrease in sales YoY for the last quarter -and- they missed their actual sales forecast by 200k units this FY (not by much granted).
If we look at the current numbers (20.2m Sold through as of March 1st, 22.3m Sold in as of March 31st), they also could have north of 1m consoles in channels right now.

But it wasn't 30m as of March 2008, it was ~24.5m. And PS4 +X1 combined is over 35 Million When aligned with the Wii launch.

Your numbers are all over the place.

We had this conversation before. Dont post incorrect numbers.

How can I post incorrect numbers by asking for the right numbers? (I think your confusing the pots I'm making out of context. But I don't blame you)

So anyway, what you're saying the Wii sold 20 million from April to January 1st 2009? That's insane, must have been a big holiday for Nintendo.

ZhugeEX

Banned
How can I post incorrect numbers by asking for the right numbers? (I think your confusing the pots I'm making out of context. But I don't blame you)

So anyway, what you're saying the Wii sold 20 million from April to January 1st 2009? That's insane, must have been a big holiday for Nintendo.

Im not going to argue with you. Just stop posting made up numbers that you "think" are correct.

Im not going to argue with you. Just stop posting made up numbers that you "think" are correct.

You're literally saying I'm posting number I think are correct when I am ASKING for verification, yes you are arguing with me, for NO reason.

All I am asking was for simple Wii numbers but apparently that's not working out so I'll just let that be. We aren't getting anywhere here,

The Wii also cost way less, its price put it in the impulse purchase range.

That is true. But anyway let's get back on topic then. I'm assuming the prediction thread will go up tomorrow or saturday.

Servbot24

Banned

The initial new console rush is over and there aren't many games to push sales this year. I don't know why it would increase at the current price.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You're literally saying I'm posting number I think are correct when I am ASKING for verification, yes you are arguing with me, for NO reason.

All I am asking was for simple Wii numbers but apparently that's not working out so I'll just let that be.

Look at the post above yours. That member has quoted you saying that you were right and that the Wii would have to be around 30.million.

But you are wrong. But no doubt, now that you've posted it, that poster or perhaps others will think what you said is right and that the Wii was outselling both the PS4 and Xbox One combined when that has never been the case.

Its how misinformation gets spread around. One person says it in a authorative way, then people quote it as fact.

So unless you're going to post actual numbers Or ask for numbers. Dont bother posting at all.

You did post incorrect numbers and you did say you were right. Dont deny it when the evidence is right above your post.

Look at the post above yours. That member has quoted you saying that you were right and that the Wii would have to be around 30.million.

But you are wrong. But no doubt, now that you've posted it, that poster or perhaps others will think what you said is right and that the Wii was outselling both the PS4 and Xbox One combined when that has never been the case.

Its how misinformation gets spread around. One person says it in a authorative way, then people quote it as fact.

So unless you're going to post actual numbers Or ask for numbers. Dont bother posting at all.

You did post incorrect numbers and you did say you were right. Dont deny it when the evidence is right above your post.

The reason why I said I was right is because welfare posted 44.8 million by the end of 2008, and I assume that meant around 5 months into the year the Wii was at 30 million.Turns out it actually sold almost 20 million in the last half of the year. (Also i didn't deny anything)

I'll remove that post then my bad.

Edit: Removed.

Also please when you get the chance if you could post the Wii numbers friend.

If Sony cut price this year, with the lineup we have in the back half, I think 17 - 18 million this year is possible.

If they cut price I think 16 million is very conservative

ZhugeEX

Banned
The reason why I said I was right is because welfare posted 44.8 million by the end of 2008, and I assume that meant around 5 months into the year the Wii was at 30 million.Turns out it actually sold almost 20 million in the last half of the year. (Also i didn't deny anything)

I'll remove that post then my bad.

Edit: Removed.

I get it. But just dont assume numbers next time if you dont know the real historicsl number thats all. :)

And yeh, give me an hour or something and I should have some graphs up.

2thepoint

The only way I can see PS4 getting a price cut as major as a $100 this year is if they are intending to aggressively increase PS Plus subs, thus garnering lots more revenue.

At the end of this generation, PS Plus will surely be reaping monstrous profits with an installbase of probably 85-100M.

The only way I can see PS4 getting a price cut as major as a $100 this year is if they are intending to aggressively increase PS Plus subs, thus garnering lots more revenue.

At the end of this generation, PS Plus will surely be reaping monstrous profits with an installbase of probably 85-100M.

Don't be confused with installbase compared to Live/PS+. The Xbox 360 is around 90 million shipped or so and only a bit over 40 are on gold. PS+ Just broke 10 million recently, that's across 4 platforms.

2thepoint

Don't be confused with installbase compared to Live/PS+. The Xbox 360 is around 90 million shipped or so and only a bit over 40 are on gold. PS+ Just broke 10 million recently, that's across 4 platforms.

With the way online is so integral to these current gen systems, what with Twitch streaming, uploading clips to Youtube, PS Now, PS Music/Video/Vue, Shareplay, games like Destiny/Battlefield/COD, co-op experiences, persistent worlds yadda yadda, and now that multiplayer is behind a paywall, I can see Sony netting at least 50% of the hardware base as PS Plus subscribers.

And with that, a revenue figure in the billions.

Welfare

Over 48 million members are on Xbox Live Gold + Silver. A year ago there was apparently over 17 million Gold members.

With the way online is so integral to these current gen systems, what with Twitch streaming, uploading clips to Youtube, PS Now, PS Music/Video/Vue, Shareplay, games like Destiny/Battlefield/COD, co-op experiences, persistent worlds yadda yadda, and now that multiplayer is behind a paywall, I can see Sony netting at least 50% of the hardware base as PS Plus subscribers.

And with that, a revenue figure in the billions.

Can't see that happening. It didn't happen with the 360, and you still have other regions where such a cost is not needed.

Over 48 million members are on Xbox Live Gold + Silver. A year ago there was apparently over 17 million Gold members.

I thought XBLG reached 40 like a couple years ago?

Then maybe that was 20 I was thinking of, either way, the amount of gold subscribers aren't even half the base O I wouldn't think large installbase means more XBLG or PS+.

Welfare

I thought XBLG reached 40 like a couple years ago?

Then maybe that was 20 I was thinking of, either way, the amount of gold subscribers aren't even half the base O I wouldn't think large installbase means more XBLG or PS+.

The number Microsoft always released was just members on XBL. They have never given a split on Gold/Silver members.

2thepoint

Can't see that happening. It didn't happen with the 360, and you still have other regions where such a cost is not needed.

The 360 released in 2005.

We are now in 2015, and the lifetime of these consoles will stretch to at least 2020.

Online is, and will be, an absolutely huge, and essential part of gaming both now and going forward.

The 360 released in 2005.

We are now in 2015, and the lifetime of these consoles will stretch to at least 2020.

Online is, and will be, an absolutely huge, and essential part of gaming both now and going forward.

And just recently across 4 devices PS+ hit 10 million?

It's not the online that's the issue, it's the price, and the fact that price is optional.

The number Microsoft always released was just members on XBL. They have never given a split on Gold/Silver members.

Well outside the 17 you posted, that's true, probably because it's not really increasing much. It seems weird though, especially when you look at games like COD that sell well, but apparently not too many play MP with it.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Based on the latest numbers we have there are a total of.

65 million active PlayStation Network users and 48 million Xbox Live users.

Of that number, 10.9 million users have a paid PlayStation Plus subscription and over 17 million have a paid Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Of course we need to keep in mind that Xbox Live Gold has been around for more than a decade where as PS Plus only launched 4 years ago.

Also note that PlayStation Network registered acccounts exceed 150 million but number of active accounts is 65m.

Somehow, I don't think PSP contributed much to PS Plus.

Given that PS3 is rapidly winding down, and multiplayer is now ring-fenced around a subscription on PS4, PS Plus membership numbers are bound to explode as the generation progresses.

PSP contributed a bit. Probably not far from Vita.

This same logic was used for the 360 and for the Xbox one and PS4 when the gen started, it's not happening, mostly because of the fact it's an optional price.

2thepoint

This same logic was used for the 360 and for the Xbox one and PS4 when the gen started, it's not happening, mostly because of the fact it's an optional price.

So what's your prediction for PS Plus memberships at the end of this generation, if the installbase stands at a probable 85-100M?

I say at least 40%.

ZhugeEX

Banned

PlayStation saw subscriptions grow from sub ~2 million to over 10.9m in just over a year.

The launch of PS4 saw PS Plus uptake grow 3x as much in just the first few months.

PlayStation saw subscriptions grow from sub ~2 million to over 10.9m in just over a year.

The launch of PS4 saw PS Plus uptake grow 3x as much in just the first few months.

Yes but I don't think we have anything suggesting that 40% of PS4 owners will have PS+ if the installbase is near 100 million. We are at 10 across 4 devices and that's with the PS4 already heading to 25 million.

ZhugeEX

Banned

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=162230569#post162230569

Please take a look.

Yes but I don't think we have anything suggesting that 40% of PS4 owners will have PS+ if the installbase is near 100 million. We are at 10 across 4 devices and that's with the PS4 already heading to 25 million.

Sure, it's hard to say. But remember, PS4 drove PS Plus subscriptions, and those who have a PS Plus account may own a PS3 and PS4, or just a PS4 etc... So it's hard to say exactly how many of that 10.9m have multiple devices.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Where was PSN+ before the PS4?

Also looks the the Wii is starting to pull ahead of the PS4 quickly looking at your chart.

Using a number of estimating techniques, it looks like it could have been below 2 million paid subscriptions before the PS4 launch.

Basically it wasn't much. (Because it was optional)

And yes, the Wii has phenomenal sales throughout 2008 (when it starts to be readily available) and in 2009. Not so much after that though.

Using a number of estimating techniques, it looks like it could have been below 2 million paid subscriptions before the PS4 launch.

Basically it wasn't much. (Because it was optional)

And yes, the Wii has phenomenal sales throughout 2008 (when it starts to be readily available) and in 2009. Not so much after that though.

I thought 2010 was when the Wii died?

2thepoint

What's up with the Amazon rankings for PS4 and Xbox One?

PS4 was destroying Xbox One in most of April, yet it is now in 21th place, while Xbox One Unity bundle is at 9th place in hourly rankings.

Doesn't make sense.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I thought 2010 was when the Wii died?

Correct.

But what I mean is first few years of Wii sales were great, last few years of Wii sales were not.

Example. The first 4 years of sales for Wii totalled 76 million, since then,the last 4 years has seen less than 25 million units sold.

The initial new console rush is over and there aren't many games to push sales this year. I don't know why it would increase at the current price.

There are plenty of games to push sales this year compared to last year. The only difference is that there are less AAA exclusives.

MGSV, Batman, Battlefront, Black Ops 3 and No Man's Sky will definitely drive sales. And Sony may announce Uncharted collection(with Uncharted 4 beta?) or another exclusive for the holidays at E3. I don't see why sales wouldn't increase.

What's up with the Amazon rankings for PS4 and Xbox One?

PS4 was destroying Xbox One in most of April, yet it is now in 21th place, while Xbox One Unity bundle is at 9th place in hourly rankings.

Doesn't make sense.

Actually most of April the Xbox one was ahead of the PS4, On amazon.
Also stock issues, TLOU bundkle is finally hovering around the top 20 now thought.

Top Bottom