• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Not sure, but if I had to guess maybe piracy or actual usage was low?

Doubt it was piracy due to the sales of the games that actually sold during that time frame. Also Nintendo had no reason to drop game support, that one still doesn't make sense to me.

Usage could be a factor but Wii sports and resort were still things and of course certain games still sold well, heck, look at Just Dance 5.

ZhugeEX

Banned
ST_zpsycdbpjq9.jpg

What's up with the Amazon rankings for PS4 and Xbox One?

PS4 was destroying Xbox One in most of April, yet it is now in 21th place, while Xbox One Unity bundle is at 9th place in hourly rankings.

Doesn't make sense.

Assuming you aren't kidding, the hourly rankings are basically worthless. They use some kind of formula where it factors what's currently happening along with what's happened in the past.

An item which sells really well and then goes out of stock will stay on the hourly ranking for weeks. This actually happened to the PS4 frequently when it was out of stock just after launch. You'd get something which was called #4 hourly during an hour in which is was completely un-purchasable. And it would stay there.

This "momentum" for lack of a better word, means you really can't tell how something new is doing vs. something established. Like, for instance, the Last of Us PS4 vs. the Unity bundle Xbox One.

Eh, no.

This is a sales thread.

And, yanno, we've only been discussing Amazon ranking for the last year or so.

So, yes, I didn't understand the dropoff.

But it is apparently down to stock issues.

Amazon ranking is fine to discuss. I am also part of the monthly rankings matter team, but the hourly charts are so vulnerable for turbulences that a shift in the ranking means next to nothing. Can always be stock issues or any other coincidence.
So I do not get why people get nervous about this.
Monthly rankings a different thing, though.

Assuming you aren't kidding, the hourly rankings are basically worthless. They use some kind of formula where it factors what's currently happening along with what's happened in the past.

An item which sells really well and then goes out of stock will stay on the hourly ranking for weeks. This actually happened to the PS4 frequently when it was out of stock just after launch. You'd get something which was called #4 hourly during an hour in which is was completely un-purchasable. And it would stay there.

This "momentum" for lack of a better word, means you really can't tell how something new is doing vs. something established. Like, for instance, the Last of Us PS4 vs. the Unity bundle Xbox One.

Well the TLOU bundle isn't really new. I think before the uprising people just went and brought the regular PS4 more (especially since TPO sellers are cheap.)

But yeah hourly is only good for estimating what number the item will be on the monthly charts, which is the only part of Amazon that has been correct in terms of which of the two consoles end up first.

2thepoint

Amazon ranking is fine to discuss. I am also part of the monthly rankings matter team, but the hourly charts are so vulnerable for turbulences that a shift in the ranking means next to nothing. Can always be stock issues or any other coincidence.
So I do not get why people get nervous about this.
Monthly rankings a different thing, though.

Oh Sorry, I just glanced at the hourly because I was too lazy to check monthly :p

And yes, I do agree, hourly charts are in no way indicative of overall trends.

I simply meant why was Xbox One suddenly higher in the charts than PS4 since there's nothing really substantial on their end to justify them being higher than PS4 ie promotions etc.

Oh Sorry, I just glanced at the hourly because I was too lazy to check monthly :p

And yes, I do agree, hourly charts are in no way indicative of overall trends.

I simply meant why was Xbox One suddenly higher in the charts than PS4 since there's nothing really substantial on their end to justify them being higher than PS4 ie promotions etc.

It's the answer to the same question as why TLOU Bundle was struggling but now is all of a sudden flipping in and out the top 20.

Which the answer is I don't know. Lol.

I mean ranking one day may not be the same the next. Number 9 before the ACU Xbox bundle got to it could have been higher or lower. I think Amazon actually just changes how they set ranking each day based on how many sales per item there are and then add them all together for monthly.

RexNovis

Banned
You're literally saying I'm posting number I think are correct when I am ASKING for verification, yes you are arguing with me, for NO reason.

All I am asking was for simple Wii numbers but apparently that's not working out so I'll just let that be. We aren't getting anywhere here,

Dude you are basically saying
"But WiiU sold X million in X though ... Didn't it?"

It's fucking annoying and you are completely wrong every single time. STOP IT. You are contributing nothing to the discussion by doing that and are just confusing people.

Edit: it looks like you stopped. Thank you.

RexNovis

Banned
As it stands now the April chart has the regular PS4 SKU at 29th with the XB1 MCC bundle at 45 and the AC bundle at 55. So let's stop with all this concern over hourly charts. They are basically inconsequential to the end result.

Personally, I would wager any decrease in demand for the PS4 is due to anticipation for the heavily preordered Arkham Knight limited edition console. Of course we will have no way of knowing this until the sales for that bundle come through in June.

As it stands now the April chart has the regular PS4 SKU at 29th with the XB1 MCC bundle at 45 and the AC bundle at 55. So let's stop with all this concern over hourly charts. They are basically inconsequential to the end result.

We also talked about this, it hasn't been updated since the week of the 20th according to an earlier neogaf poster. We'll have to wait until Amazon decides to update.

Here it is:

The monthly rank is updated up to Week of April 20, 2015.

It is waiting the last week numbers Week of April 27, 2015 and the this week numbers (it is not ended yet).

RexNovis

Banned
We also talked about this, it hasn't been updated since the 20th according to an earlier neogaf poster. We'll have to wait until Amazon decides to update.

It updates on a weekly basis. The absolute oldest the chart could be is 7 days and I don't see any market changes or new releases that would be altering the demand levels that much over the course of 7 days.

I don't see how anyone could know what week it has been updated to. As far as I know there is no "last updated on" tag on these charts.

It updates on a weekly basis. The absolute oldest the chart could be is 7 days and I don't see any market changes or new releases that would be altering the demand levels that much over the course of 7 days.

Well Amazon is funny, it sometimes updated later than it says (hourly charts sometimes won't update for 3 hours despite amazon saying it's every hour)

But you're right, it is only one week that's not accounted for. Not much can change in that short of time.

Elandyll

Banned
Well the TLOU bundle isn't really new. I think before the uprising people just went and brought the regular PS4 more (especially since TPO sellers are cheap.)

But yeah hourly is only good for estimating what number the item will be on the monthly charts, which is the only part of Amazon that has been correct in terms of which of the two consoles end up first.
Apparently theres a new bundle (including a free silver headset) which has a different sku although you can also reach it with the tabs. Not that hourly really means anything (I do wonder why XB1 ACU jumped suddenly as well though), but I imagine that the confusion of 3 skus (the main basic one being third party only) plus apparition of a recent promo sku is to blame.
Overall for the month it's going to mean very litle though I think.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
TLOU bundle may have run its course to a point, sony should make a bloodborne bundle, such a great fucking game having a blast with it, but would it hit the core gamer or just the hardcore?

TLOU bundle may have run its course to a point, sony should make a bloodborne bundle, such a great fucking game having a blast with it, but would it hit the core gamer or just the hardcore?

If Sony released a PS4 bundle with Bloodborne included for $399, I'd be soooo on board.

Welfare

Any sales-gaffers want to take a stab at how bad this article is and list all the things wrong with it?
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...-its-quarterly-sales-deficit-against-the-ps4/

Arstechnica's reporting on most other fields has always been top-notch (science, space, gadgets, etc.) but their gaming reports can be pretty awful sometimes T_T.

It's 4am here so I'll look at the headline, but eh.

I mean, technically it is right. Last year in the same quarter the difference in shipments between the One and PS4 was 1.8m and now it's ~1.2m

It's something :/

RexNovis

Banned
Any sales-gaffers want to take a stab at how bad this article is and list all the things wrong with it?
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...-its-quarterly-sales-deficit-against-the-ps4/

Arstechnica's reporting on most other fields has always been top-notch (science, space, gadgets, etc.) but their gaming reports can be pretty awful sometimes T_T.

Basically the game journalism equivalent of Monty Python's "Look on the Bright Side of Life." pretty much completely ignores how abysmal their shipped numbers are in favor of a slight decline in the shipment gap during the quarter. That's not even mentioning that their estimate for shipping numbers on XB1 is actually just an assumption based on their random figures for 360 sales dropoff which aren't corroborated by any actual evidence. Also they appear to be using the Sony sold through numbers in comparison to the MS shipped numbers and then almost universally providing high estimates for the latter based on their incredibly high 360 dropoff model.

Also, isn't Ars also the site that published the "don't read too much into PS4's record sales" during launch? Fake edit: yes. Yes they were.

They seem completely incapable of being impartial when it comes to the XB1 for whatever reason.

RexNovis

Banned
The funniest part for me is when the author basically admits the headline is hyperbolic clickbait

"As a whole, though, "losing the quarterly sales race by less than before" probably isn't the position Microsoft wants to be in. Sony still enjoys nearly 50 percent of the worldwide console market, going by overall life-to-date shipments, a number that's been relatively unchanged since the middle of last year. Microsoft, on the other hand, has hovered just below one-third of all international shipments since its late 2013 launch, barely inching up the worldwide market share in the entirety of its first 15 months, according to our estimates."

LOL

Can someone please paraphrase the highlights(or lowlights if you will) of that article for me? I don't want to give crap like that hits.

It's important to note that these worldwide sales trends can look very different when you zoom in on individual regions. In Japan, for instance, the Wii U is actually winning the lifetime sales battle, according to tracking firm Media Create, riding its earlier launch to over 2.2 million aggregate unit sales (though the PS4 is leading in sales for 2015 thus far). The PS4 has sold over 1.4 million units overall in Japan, while the Xbox One is limping along with a paltry 50,000 units sold in the country.

Excluding Japan, the Xbox One looks slightly more competitive, and the Wii U looks slightly less competitive. Subtract these numbers out from the worldwide picture and the market in the non-Japanese-speaking world starts to look slightly different, though perhaps not materially so. We've also seen some reports that the PS4 and Xbox One are running much closer to sales parity in North America than they are in the rest of the world, though the source for that information isn't secure enough for us to share those specific numbers confidently.

Ironically the U.S. Market is one of the ones in which we have the most concrete numbers and can absolutely confirm it is closer than any other market worldwide. Somehow these numbers aren't quite as reliable as their exaggeratedly positive assumption based calculations of XB1+360 worldwide shipment numbers.

*Sniggers*... Damn. :p

They should do another section of that article where they remove the USA sales from the equation. That would be insightful.

Does the article explain why they are excluding Japan in their analysis?

Because if you add this, subtract that, alter this piece of information, etc you can pretty much bend the facts or raw data towards your own conclusion.

It just seems strange to do here.

Edit

Nevermind. Just read Rex's Post above. Thanks.

The article seems agenda-driven. :/

Javin98

Banned
Does the article explain why they are excluding Japan in their analysis?

Because if you add this, subtract that, alter this piece of information, etc you can pretty much bend the facts or raw data towards your own conclusion.

It just seems strange to do here.

No, because stating it's simply 'a shortcut way to remove 1.4 million PS4's sold to make the gap seem smaller' would go against the whole point of what the author is trying to achieve. But maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Japan confirmed to be on Mars.

lol. They should remove all regions except US and UK so they can conclude XB1 is selling very well compared to PS4 (We know the reason for XB1 competitive sales are price advantage which is cheaper than PS4 in these regions for long time).

ZhugeEX

Banned
lol. They should remove all regions except US and UK so they can conclude XB1 is selling very well compared to PS4 (We know the reason for XB1 competitive sales are price advantage which is cheaper than PS4 in these regions for long time).

Or vice versa, remove USA and UK so it shows just how far PS4 is ahead in the rest of the world.

Welfare

The most absurd piece about the ars technica article is that they give the Wii U a super generous 600k for Q1 2015.

Apparently theres a new bundle (including a free silver headset) which has a different sku although you can also reach it with the tabs. Not that hourly really means anything (I do wonder why XB1 ACU jumped suddenly as well though), but I imagine that the confusion of 3 skus (the main basic one being third party only) plus apparition of a recent promo sku is to blame.
Overall for the month it's going to mean very litle though I think.

Well no updated yet so we;ll have to wait longer.

oh look Amazon's April monthly chart finally updated
things of note:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D-25th (ha thought I was going to dive straight into consoles didn't you)

PS4 (standalone?)-40th
XB1 (AC Unity bundle)-42nd
XB1 (MCC bundle)-53rd
Wii U (Super Mario 3D World bundle)-63rd

things of note:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D-25th (ha thought I was going to dive straight into consoles didn't you)

PS4 (standalone?)-40th
XB1 (MCC bundle)-53rd

week of 27th doesn't end till the 3rd. The closness though is interesting since NPD ends on the 4th.

I don't know if this whole week will count on april or not, but we'll see. If not PS4 wins. Although that may happen regardless.

BTW you're missing TLOU bundle.

Welfare

week of 27th doesn't end till the 3rd. The closness though is interesting since NPD ends on the 4th.

I don't know if this whole week will count on april or not, but we'll see. If not PS4 wins. Although that may happen regardless.

BTW you're missing TLOU bundle.

NPD tracking for April ends tomorrow.

Mory Dunz

things of note:

PS4 (standalone?)-40th
XB1 (MCC bundle)-53rd

Wait, is there not a MK8 bundle in the US?

Weird... may have already been asked, but given their month long trade in deal for a PS4, could this have affected the chart? Does Amazon count "bought with trade in" as a different type of sale? It seems odd that the system would die out likes this, during a month of promotions of all months. Has any of our Retail partners chimed in? (If not, I will wait until the April thread to speculate...)

Top Bottom