• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

wapplew

This is a really great post with good questions.

My opinions

1. Yeah if I'm a major publisher right not looking to green light a major AAA game it's either open world or an online based loot shooter. I expect we'll see more Destiny's and Divisions in the pipeline from pubs soon.

2. This is something really truly incredible. Ubisoft really are pretty much the best Publisher in the world at releasing new AAA IP. They have 3 of the top 4 best selling new IP in history that's incredible. Personally I think a big part of that is marketing. Ubisoft are really strong at that and they also do a pretty stellar job of reading the market and also of being out front in supporting new hardware in case it takes off.

EA will join the party for sure, they are the only big pub without a MMO lite.
I guess reveal games with crazy looking trailers to stun everyone regardless of what actually product look like. First impression does the work.

creamsugar

tNXLXuj.png

taking a random shot in the dark I'm gonna guess Xbox One is up in revenue and units while PS4 is up in units, down in revenue

that or someone misread their data

Some People just don’t get it...Hope this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dNWfR256M

SFV, and fighting games are bigger than a particular iteration selling 4 million or selling 7 million. I’m just a forum guy who follows the scene, but I’d say there’s going to be a season 2, a season 3 a season 4, and SFV will sell ok for the rest of the gen and continually updated. It’s a true dedicated scene behind this genre, and particularly this iteration of Street Fighter. A slow rocky start does not mean the game will forever be a “bomb”.

Like I get it, there’s not much to do if you don’t play competitively. But it’s now turning into a smack in the face for anyone that does enjoy the game. Like am I some type of sucker because I play everyday? This guy on stream, Babybel, https://www.twitch.tv/gghalibel/v/57401964 probably puts in 15 hours on just his stream days let alone reading/talking/discussing the game. The number rank player Art, man, how much does play? 2000 hours already? The OT is about to hit # 4 here on GAF. So what the community is small, that doesn’t mean Capcom just released a garbage product. Niche is ok...It’s MK time to have the spotlight. Capcom have a number of ways to turn this into a success, but man, it’s like people are dismissing it takes effort to make a great fighting game. Like devs just put out garbage and asked us to buy it -_- Just because the market trend and expectations are at a certain bar, does not means it’s super easy to hit it.

EA will join the party for sure, they are the only big pub without a MMO lite.
I guess reveal games with crazy looking trailers to stun everyone regardless of what actually product look like. First impression does the work.

Sony and Ninty doesn't have any as well.

fernoca

I wonder why even after all the sfv hate why can't other FGs come even close to it when it comes competitive interest. Sfv breaking evo records....and don't say it's the money because NRS now investing 500k in their own league and can't even get 1/4th of the interest. I guess gameplay triumph over casual filler modes when it comes to tournament interest.....who knows....
Only smash bros somewhat comes close but that's a n64 or GameCube version?
Most of the vocal FG community plays Street Fighter and has been this way for years. Hence why when "SF was dead" there was this assumption of "fighters were dead" despite the Mortal Kombats, Tekkens and Soulcaliburs selling millions ("Smash is a party game so it doesn't count either").

Then the $500k pool for MKX was announced recently (last week) and Street Fighter V is quite new so most were quick to sign-up as they have more opportunities not only to win, but to know their competition, while the rest of the games are months if not years old.

So the other games are trying, starting to build and expanding their presence in tournaments as a result. Even TPC wanted in with Pokkén.

? Sfv is #16 on twitch. Ki and mkx don't appear to be in top 50...could have missed them tho.

Nah, SFV has twitch on lockdown.

KI is a non factor. Twitch is all about Smash and SF. They run tournaments.

Thanks for the graph Cream! Saving us from ourselves.

Nyoro SF

SF LTD ~ 268

TP ~ 308
PT ~ 251
HW ~ 72
M&S ~ 25

Well, SFV is a super front loaded game to no one's surprise.

I dunno if that's a good number for Pokken, someone would have to educate me on that front.

Oh is this also a bad time to ask for Cold Steel numbers? :p

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Most gamers give MS and Square both justified criticism for launching Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusively on Xbox One for one year.

Sony and Capcom should both be held responsible for the sales failure SFV has been. Sony had to have paid for some sort of console exclusivity to Capcom or Capcom made a huge mistake by just skipping out on the Xbox One American install base.

Sales from Street Fighter 4 were at around 840,000 for just its launch in February 2009 most going to the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 version of Street Fighter IV came in second with 446,000 units, followed by the PlayStation 3 edition's 403,000 units

sense

i don't understand this surprise at zelda numbers. the majority of people that own a wii u at this point are hardcore nintendo fans so of course a beloved ip like zelda is going to push some decent number even if it is an hd remaster

Boke1879

Most gamers give MS and Square both justified criticism for launching Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusively on Xbox One for one year.

Sony and Capcom should both be held responsible for the sales failure SFV has been. Sony had to have paid for some sort of console exclusivity to Capcom or Capcom made a huge mistake by just skipping out on the Xbox One American install base.

Sales from Street Fighter 4 were at around 840,000 for just its launch in February 2009 most going to the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 version of Street Fighter IV came in second with 446,000 units, followed by the PlayStation 3 edition's 403,000 units

SFV also didn't have 10 years of anticipation for a new numbered entry. Putting this game on another platform wouldn't have done much to help it. Just look at it on PC. Also TR and this game are different situations.

SFV was known to be exclusive since it's inception. TR became exclusive after its initial reveal.

Dubz

Looks like Capcom got a lesson in never make a game just for the "pros". Casuals are always the bread and butter. The story mode in SFV is the most shameful mode in fighting game history.

BTW, I like the game.

Top Bottom