• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

Jigorath

Banned
I think QB will be around 200k, which would probably be considered disappointing given how long the game has been in development. But we'll see.

hawk2025

I wouldn't be surprised if R&C outsells Quantum Break. R&C is an established franchise that's selling for $40 and is rated E on a platform that has a larger install base. Quantum Break is a new IP that's selling for $60 and is rated M on a platform that has a smaller install base. I honestly expect R&C to outsell Quantum Break and I would be extremely expressed if it ended up the other way around.

Quantum Break is a TPS on the Xbox One with gigantic marketing muscle.

New IP or old, the market is absolutely there.

The rating is completely irrelevant.

Javin98

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if R&C outsells Quantum Break. R&C is an established franchise that's selling for $40 and is rated E on a platform that has a larger install base. Quantum Break is a new IP that's selling for $60 and is rated M on a platform that has a smaller install base. I honestly expect R&C to outsell Quantum Break and I would be extremely expressed if it ended up the other way around.
I guess GTA 5 must be rated E too, that's why it refuses to leave the charts.

dt2

Banned
Quantum Break is a TPS on the Xbox One with gigantic marketing muscle.

New IP or old, the market is absolutely there.

The rating is completely irrelevant.

Sure but looking at actual sales data shows that new IP's have a harder time breaking into the market and established franchises usually do better in sales since they're already catering to an existing fanbase. I also think that ratings have an effect on sales when you hit the M rating since only 17 and up can purchase these games; I have several friends who are very conscious about what their children watch and play and will not purchase M rated games for their kids. Granted this is from personal experience but I'd like to think there are many more parents out there like that. Not sure how much they affect (could be little, could be large) but I do believe they have at least some affect.

FelipeMGM

From Zhuge. dont know if it has been said by anyone else

ZhugeEX said:
PlayStation 4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III bundle accounted for more than 90% of all PlayStation 4 units sold in the US last month.

CgIXbUqW4AAUKsJ.jpg:large

dt2

Banned
I guess GTA 5 must be rated E too, that's why it refuses to leave the charts.

I see what you're implying but I'm not making the connection. Grand Theft Auto is an extremely popular franchise that has existed for several generations and is made by a very well known development studio and exists on 5 different platforms. I didn't say that mature games don't chart...I just said that given two games the one rated E has a wider possible audience.

Javin98

Banned
I see what you're implying but I'm not making the connection. Grand Theft Auto is an extremely popular franchise that has existed for several generations and is made by a very well known development studio and exists on 5 different platforms. I didn't say that mature games don't chart...I just said that given two games the one rated E has a wider possible audience.
I'm simply saying that the ratings have no effects on sales in the grand scheme of things. Almost no one ever discusses it when it comes to sales.

I don't care what one console does versus another. And I don't know what Microsoft's internal goals were or are, so I don't know the answers to your questions.

A disaster in the market, particularly the US market, is the Dreamcast, or the Jaguar, or the Vita. Those are disasters. The Xbox One certainly isn't a roaring success, but it's also not on the same level as some other consoles that suffered abject failure. A console that sees growth versus the prior version and significant market share isn't a disaster.

There might not be another traditional console from any manufacturer, and there certainly may not be another one from Microsoft. This thing may have (and Matt infers certainly has) failed to meet expectations.

But failing to meet expectations and being the Jaguar are certainly two different things, wouldn't you agree?
Sure. Ultimately we disagree on what disaster means. I vote we move on because this is becoming a boring conversation.

DS3 and The Division will be top 2 and maybe GTA as 3? I don't know. I guess R&C could creep in at 4 with QB at 5 and I don't know what Star Fox Zero will do.

Edit - Sorry for double.

Be ready for MLB The Show again, I think it normally pops up 2 straight months in NPD each year, and everyone acts surprised that it charted 2 months in a row.

Bah I sure they got some big third party bundle plan for the Holidays.

Well, a premium CoD2016 bundle is a given.

3rd-party wise the only thing semi-confirmed thus far is Destiny : Expansion 2, which who knows will get a special treatment (console bundle) again this year since it's another expansion.

Numbers for all the Ratchet games? Ps2 to ps3?
First-month performance for the entire Ratchet & Clank series, provided by the NPD Group, is as follows:

Ratchet & Clank (November 4, 2002) -- 112,000 units
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (November 11, 2003) -- 125,000 units
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (November 3, 2004) -- 207, 500 units
Ratchet: Deadlocked (October 25, 2005) -- 55,300 units
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (October 30, 2007, though released in most retailers early) -- 74,500 units

http://www.1up.com/news/npd-fallout-ratchet-sell-fine

mo60

Based on past launch data for R & C games I expect Quantum Break and R & C to sell about the same or Quantum Break will beat it by a bit.

Welfare

I'd say R&C debuts at ~150k, QB ~200k.

Think I'm done with avatar bets. Just friendly reminders on whose right and wrong from now on :)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'd say R&C debuts at ~150k, QB ~200k.

Think I'm done with avatar bets. Just friendly reminders on whose right and wrong from now on :)

Oh come on man! Didn't you said before lost this that you have a 2:1 record for winning bets?

I understand if you wanna wait a bit more, but you seriusly seriusly wanna stop here? :p

P.S
I'm with you with both ReC and QB predictions.

killroy87

Finally saw this. Good for Primal, it's my fave game of the year so far, and one of my faves of this gen. Good for Pokken and Zelda as well! COD is definitely having less legs than past titles. It usually stayed higher up longer than this.

TWO Wii U titles in the Top 10?!
Wow. What is happening?

Zelda and Pokemon still sale, that's a relief.
Zelda on 3rd place even is a sight to behold. Especially if you consider how hated Twilight Princess was back when it originally released.

Globally, R+C will beat QB. I wouldn't be surprised if R+C becomes "best selling PS4 Sony IP" in some European countries.

In the US, I don't know? QB is more for the US audience, and XB1 is doing well there. Think it will be close.

Thought about buying SFV.

Heard it was half baked, no arcade mode/campaign, bad net code, and unfinished/not all characters in the game.

Decided it was a no-buy based on reviews and word of mouth. I would buy a "full" game though.

I wonder how much Sony paid for console exclusivity.

le.phat

XB1 Q1 2016: 622k

360 Q1 2008: 747k

Trailing 17%.

Also you guys will notice a lack of me posting because fuck that avatar.

Ryng I need a 100x120 version.

360 took off in its third year. This will be the year where xbone will fall behind its predecesor in a big way.

Top Bottom