• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

Javin98

Banned
He was talking about the QB statement, which was anecdotal and I said it "may" do well and we will find out in "may"
Fine, I may have misinterpreted what you were trying to say about QB, but you also made some other questionable claims without solid evidence. That's usually frowned upon in sales threads.

I told you I got that from the thread. Specifically the thread that talked about the old data. I assumed it was a thing on here that the Xbox sold 20 or over since quite a few posts in that thread said that.
Which thread? "That thread" isn't very specific. Link it or at least state the title. "Old data" isn't very specific either. If you mean the thread for EA's estimations, then I don't remember anyone saying the XB1 was at 20 million since we knew the PS4 was at 35.9 million. If you mean the thread for Mad Catz's 60 million estimations, I posted a detailed post why it was inaccurate.

Fine, I may have misinterpreted what you were trying to say about QB, but you also made some other questionable claims without solid evidence. That's usually frowned upon in sales threads.

You didin't read the last post on the last page.

I didin't make
"some other claims" I said

1. Based on the thread talking about the old sale data, I assume that the Xbox is already at 20 or over based on the posts in that thread.

2. Quantum Break based on my anecdotal evidence, MAY do well we will find out in MAY.

That's all I said in this thread.

cakely

This data is old, Xbox One has been over 20 for awhile.

I didin't make

1. Based on the thread talking about the old sale data, I assume that the Xbox is already at 20 or over based on the posts in that thread.

2. Quantum Break based on my anecdotal evidence, MAY do well we will find out in MAY.

You know that we can read posts on the previous page, right?

Javin98

Banned

I didin't make

Read my edit. Which thread more specifically? Either thread is not helping your case here. Also, you said it was "curious" that I used UK sales to get an idea on how it might perform in the US and that both markets are different now. Proof? The UK is still basically a mini US.

Read my edit. Which thread more specifically? Either thread is not helping your case here. Also, you said it was "curious" that I used UK sales to get an idea on how it might perform in the US and that both markets are different now. Proof? The UK is still basically a mini US.

Sales wise the markets are way different. I don't think a low UK output will effect the U.S., especially since those type of games sell way more over here.

Also I'm talking about the thread aboutt he link we have been talking about the whole time. The EA "may be below 20million thread" also known as the "May has Sold fewer than 20m" thread.

Javin98

Banned
Sales wise the markets are way different. I don't think a low UK output will effect the U.S., especially since those type of games sell way more over here.

Also I'm talking about the thread aboutt he link we have been talking about the whole time. The EA "may be below 20million thread" also known as the "May has Sold fewer than 20m" thread.
Are you being obtuse or something? I asked for proof, you keep going on and on with your bullshit. Are you trying to annoy me? What games bombed in the UK but sold well in the US for instance? And even if there are, the overall market of the UK still closely mirrors the US relatively. Also, many who claim the XB1 is over 20 million in that thread didn't realize this is old info. Even then, they didn't provide evidence to show it is over 20 million now. You, on the other hand, quoted me and said it was over that a while ago. Again, proof?

What games bombed in the UK but sold well in the US for instance?

Show me where I said this. If you're annoyed because you are making up your own posts that don't exist that's your problem.

Here is my original post

The sales results haven't really been the same imo in recent releases from the UK to U.S. the fact you take that as a serious sales measurement is curious.

And I will repeat what I said last time, UK sales are usually lower by a margin, and imo to add to that, UK sales seem to have been low, and looking at the last few PAL threads I'm not the only one who thinks that.

I don't think a bad debut in a UK, a country with not a high or imo decent sales cap, means the game will flop in the U.S., where (again I say) these shooting games usually sell very well in.

Also I just told you 3 times I got the 20million from that thread, you admit their are posts in that thread that say 20million, that's proof right there, I admit and I have already said twice I assumed those numbers are accurate, you either agree with that or you don't. There's literally nothing else to argue about, without arguing for the sake of arguing, which is what you seem to be trying to do.

Javin98

Banned
Show me where I said this. If you're annoyed because you are making up your own posts that don't exist that's your problem.

Here is my original post

And I will repeat what I said last time, UK sales are usually lower by a margin, and imo to add to that, UK sales seem to have been low, and looking at the last few PAL threads I'm not the only one who thinks that.

I don't think a bad debut in a UK, a country with not a high or imo decent sales cap, means the game will flop in the U.S., where (again I say) these shooting games usually sell very well in.

Also I just told you 3 times I got the 20million from that thread, you admit their are posts in that thread that say 20million, that's proof right there, I admit and I have already said twice I assumed those numbers are accurate, you either agree with that or you don't. There's literally nothing else to argue about, without arguing for the sake of arguing, which is what you seem to be trying to do.
Well, obviously the sales in the UK will be lower than in the US due to the population differences. However, what you cannot argue is that both markets have very similar demographics. I'm not saying QB bombed because the UK numbers are low compared to the potential US numbers. That's outrageous. QB did poorly relatively to other games in its genre in the UK. I have no idea what makes you think it will change in the US. As for the XB1 sales, you were quick to post that supposedly "proof" as objective info. You didn't even bother asking me how I got my predictions. And I'm not arguing for the sake of it, I'm trying to prevent misinformation from spreading. If I was the only quoting you, fair enough, but a few others have as well.

Well, obviously the sales in the UK will be lower than in the US due to the population differences. However, what you cannot argue is that both markets have very similar demographics. I'm not saying QB bombed because the UK numbers are low compared to the potential US numbers. That's outrageous. QB did poorly relatively to other games in its genre in the UK. I have no idea what makes you think it will change in the US. As for the XB1 sales, you were quick to post that supposedly "proof" as objective info. You didn't even bother asking me how I got my predictions. And I'm not arguing for the sake of it, I'm trying to prevent misinformation from spreading. If I was the only quoting you, fair enough, but a few others have as well.

Because I didn't have any predictions.

I said that QB May do well and we will find out in MAY based on anecdotal sales I have seen and the fact shooters do well in the U.S. I don't consider that a prediction which is why I never asked you about yours. I consider that "i'm not sure but this "may" mean something" and that's as far as I got.

Now to clarify, you believe that the UK QB and U.S. sales difference won't matter, but I will say again, from my point of view it may be different because it seems from my point of view, shooters sell much better than the U.S. (especially when talking about Xbox games) than the UK.

But don't mistake this for me saying it won't flop, I just think that there's an equal chance either way.

Now with that said, you said you have predictions, which I would like to hear as it may change my position.

Slightly OT: All the PS4k/Neo and XB1.5 talk on gaming side is too much for me. It's just a continuous circle of stupidity and hyperbole all mixed in one.

Can't wait until people calm down a bit, if ever.

And I hope PS4k and XB1.5 do amazingly well in HW sales. Because atleast then folks can be somewhat salty for a reason.

Slightly OT: All the PS4k/Neo and XB1.5 talk on gaming side is too much for me. It's just a continuous circle of stupidity and hyperbole all mixed in one.

Can't wait until people calm down a bit, if ever.

And I hope PS4k and XB1.5 do amazingly well in HW sales. Because atleast then folks can be somewhat salty for a reason.

I know that they are off in the future and it's hard to predict. But I at the moment imo, think that both would cause sales issues. You have competing shelf space, reps will have to explain the benefits and also address concerns for those who want to keep the originals. Devs may prioritize the new consoles over the originals which could lead to issues with hose games running on the older versions. Then you have additional prices just when the originals are starting to get a stream of games

I just don't see how you make this an easy transition. I could be wrong, but I mean it just seems like a tough job from my point of view.

The best part is that there are even certain verified/trustworthy posters who are actually providing real information that are being drowned out by the crazy.

Javin98

Banned
Because I didn't have any predictions.

I said that QB May do well and we will find out in MAY based on anecdotal sales I have seen and the fact shooters do well in the U.S. I don't consider that a prediction which is why I never asked you about yours. I consider that "i'm not sure but this "may" mean something" and that's as far as I got.

Now to clarify, you believe that the UK QB and U.S. sales difference won't matter, but I will say again, from my point of view it may be different because it seems from my point of view, shooters sell much better than the U.S. (especially when talking about Xbox games) than the UK.

But don't mistake this for me saying it won't flop, I just think that there's an equal chance either way.

Now with that said, you said you have predictions, which I would like to hear as it may change my position.
Fair enough, I don't want to drag this conversation on, but if you are interested in my predictions, I'll make a brief post.

As of March 2016, the XB1 sold through ~11.75 million units in the US. The most accurate estimation would place the US contributing about 60% of global sales, give or take 3% or so. Now that would put worldwide sales at about ~19.583 million at the end of March. Assuming the XB1 sells about 150K in April, that would raise it to above 19.8 million. I will just be generous anyway and say 20 million.

Edit: I made some errors earlier. Corrected in my edit.

Kill3r7

The best part is that there are even certain verified/trustworthy posters who are actually providing real information that are being drowned out by the crazy.

Crazy always wins out. At this point, I am looking forward to the release date so I can figure our how to maximize the value of my PS4.

Sterok

I wonder if Sony or MS will provide a breakdown of how much each model sells. Nintendo kind of did it the first week of the New 3DS, but not beyond that.

Fair enough, I don't want to drag this conversation on, but if you are interested in my predictions, I'll make a brief post.

As of March 2016, the XB1 sold through ~11.5 million units in the US. The most accurate estimation would place the US contributing about 60% of global sales, give or take 3% or so. Now that would put worldwide sales at about ~19.167 million at the end of March. Assuming the XB1 sells about 150K in April, that would raise it to above 19.5 million. I will just be generous anyway and say 20 million.

What did it do last april?

Crazy always wins out. At this point, I am looking forward to the release date so I can figure our how to maximize the value of my PS4.

Sure. And by doing so, the outlay isn't going to rally be all that much, couple hundred bucks. And it's on a fairly normal Slim release schedule, and were they to just make a slim, many people would have shifted over because they made it a different color or something stupid.

Much ado about nothing.

I wonder if Sony or MS will provide a breakdown of how much each model sells. Nintendo kind of did it the first week of the New 3DS, but not beyond that.

I really hope NPD splits them, but I just don't see it happening.

If you are thinking of selling I would do it now because likely by confirmation there will be a price drop or an announcement of a price drop which may impact resale value.

Who are you?

What did it do last april?

More than 150

I know that they are off in the future and it's hard to predict. But I at the moment imo, think that both would cause sales issues. You have competing shelf space, reps will have to explain the benefits and also address concerns for those who want to keep the originals. Devs may prioritize the new consoles over the originals which could lead to issues with hose games running on the older versions. Then you have additional prices just when the originals are starting to get a stream of games

I just don't see how you make this an easy transition. I could be wrong, but I mean it just seems like a tough job from my point of view.

This is probably the reasoning I have the biggest issue with.

It's like we're forgetting that the XB1 and PS4 exist and that they have a power gap.

As for the rest, it's way too early for me to make any predictions on it sales wise. I hope they take off though. I like the idea of iterative consoles and what it means for the gaming industry as a whole.

There is no evidence that Xbox is over 20 million other than posters who say "I like Xbox, so it must be." I think it is close by now, but there is nothing to prove it.

Javin98

Banned
Just checked, the XB1 sold 187K last April. Now, it may be flat YoY, down or even up. A bit hard to predict, but it should be around that region.

This is probably the reasoning I have the biggest issue with.

It's like we're forgetting that the XB1 and PS4 exist and that they have a power gap.

As for the rest, it's way too early for me to make any predictions on it sales wise. I hope they take off though. I like the idea of iterative consoles and what it means for the gaming industry as a whole.

Huh??????????

The Xbox One and PS4 powergap is a bad example. Isn't the new PS4k spec wise like 2X or more the power of the PS4?

And assuming if that is true,, if the Xbox is going to do the same we got zero info on it but I'd guess it'd be about the same most likely, around 2x+ more powerful.

I think it's a legit concern, though we don't know how the future will play out, that the new versions of the consoles will be the priority for devs. At least some of the popular big and midsized ones.

Just checked, the XB1 sold 187K last April. Now, it may be flat YoY, down or even up. A bit hard to predict, but it should be around that region.

I think with that number with QB and some help from last months The Division, along with the price cut, it will imo likely be up YoY. I'd guess at least over 200k.

Don't know about PS4 though. Anybody heard anything about Ratchet and Clank performance? DarkSouls 3 may help the PS4 a bit as well.

Huh??????????

The Xbox One and PS4 powergap is a bad example. Isn't the new PS4k spec wise like 2X or more the power of the PS4?

And assuming if that is true,, if the Xbox is going to do the same we got zero info on it but I'd guess it'd be about the same most likely, around 2x+ more powerful.

I think it's a legit concern, though we don't know how the future will play out, that the new versions of the consoles will be the priority for devs. At least some of the popular big and midsized ones.

No, your misunderstanding me. Devs already optimize games for a large power difference between the two existing consoles and also the PC version. The PS4k specs don't seem too out there, so it's not as if this task of optimizing it for a new revision is that out there or one that devs would not be used to.

Yep, sounds about right, but because the XB1 was slightly up YoY, I'm not sure what to think of April. Will it be down YoY like in January and February or continue March's trend?

How much do you believe in QB? Last April was the launch of MKX and the DS2 Scholar edition. Last year the average selling price on xones dipped slightly, but is about where it was in Feb of this year. March this year saw the price dip, which probably caused the growth. I haven't been keeping up with hw deals this month. That might be the differentiator?

Kill3r7

If you are thinking of selling I would do it now because likely by confirmation there will be a price drop or an announcement of a price drop which may impact resale value.

I am definitely selling but I already pre-ordered Uncharted 4 and No Man Sky. So I would like to play both of them for a bit before parting with the PS4. Ultimately, the trick is to try to get the highest trade in value.Currently GS offers around $200 for either PS4/X1. Bestbuy has had such tradein offers previously. I am partial to GS because they do not charge tax for instore purchases if you use store credit.

Javin98

Banned
I think with that number with QB and some help from last months The Division, along with the price cut, it will imo likely be up YoY. I'd guess at least over 200k.

Don't know about PS4 though. Anybody heard anything about Ratchet and Clank performance? DarkSouls 3 may help the PS4 a bit as well.
Quantum Break won't be moving much hardware despite having a bundle. Abdiel, someone who works at retail, has consistently said that QB is not doing too hot and the bundle was not attracting buyers much. The Division should be rather irrelevant in this discussion since the XB1 was only slightly up in its debut month and the main reason was the price drop.

How much do you believe in QB? Last April was the launch of MKX and the DS2 Scholar edition. Last year the average selling price on xones dipped slightly, but is about where it was in Feb of this year. March this year saw the price dip, which probably caused the growth. I haven't been keeping up with hw deals this month. That might be the differentiator?
I honestly think QB will bomb in the US as well if the UK is any indication. Also, the XB1 won April last year mainly because of Gamestop's trade in deal. I don't know, going to have to wait for more info, I have no idea what to think now.

No, your misunderstanding me. Devs already optimize games for a large power difference between the two existing consoles and also the PC version. The PS4k specs don't seem too out there, so it's not as if this task of optimizing it for a new revision is that out there or one that devs would not be used to.

Oh ok.

I am definitely selling but I already pre-ordered Uncharted 4 and No Man Sky. So I would like to play both of them for a bit before parting with the PS4. Ultimately, the trick is to try to get the highest trade in value.Currently GS offers around $200 for either PS4/X1. Bestbuy has had such tradein offers previously. I am partial to GS because they do not charge tax instore purchases if you use store credit.

Had no idea they did that with store credit, is that a nationwide thing?

Quantum Break won't be moving much hardware despite having a bundle. Abdiel, someone who works at retail, has consistently said that QB is not doing too hot and the bundle was not attracting buyers much. The Division should be rather irrelevant in this discussion since the XB1 was only slightly up in its debut month and the main reason was the price drop.

Well of course, anecdotal, I'm seeing the opposite, but it's hard to tell. Do we have any additional retailers who can weigh in? I'm also wondering if the $299 price drop is doing anything this month to help.

Also do we have anything on Ratchet and Clank performance?

Javin98

Banned
Well of course, anecdotal, I'm seeing the opposite, but it's hard to tell. Do we have any additional retailers who can weigh in? I'm also wondering if the $299 price drop is doing anything this month to help.

Also do we have anything on Ratchet and Clank performance?
Not sure what other retailers have said about QB. As for Ratchet and Clank, one retailer hinted that it sold better than expected. But I doubt even that will push hardware much.

Welfare

There isn't evidence that the Xbox One hit 20m, and EEDAR were generous with the rounding, but it's not that far below 20m either.

EA estimated 55m PS4+XB1 at the end of 2015, as did Ubisoft. With Sony confirming 35.9m PS4's were sold, companies only have to estimate Xbox sales, and for two major 3rd party publishers to agree on ~55m, we should assume the Xbox One is ~19m.

EEDAR estimated ~56m consoles at the end of 2015, so again, not that far off. Just estimated slightly higher XB1 sales.

Javin98

Banned
There isn't evidence that the Xbox One hit 20m, and EEDAR were generous with the rounding, but it's not that far below 20m either.

EA estimated 55m PS4+XB1 at the end of 2015, as did Ubisoft. With Sony confirming 35.9m PS4's were sold, companies only have to estimate Xbox sales, and for two major 3rd party publishers to agree on ~55m, we should assume the Xbox One is ~19m.

EEDAR estimated ~56m consoles at the end of 2015, so again, not that far off. Just estimated slightly higher XB1 sales.
Oh, definitely not. What's your take on this? Do you think the XB1 has exceeded 20 million already?

Not sure what other retailers have said about QB. As for Ratchet and Clank, one retailer hinted that it sold better than expected. But I doubt even that will push hardware much.

Well that's good, Ratchet and Clank and Quantum Break are the only good "exclusives" this year so far imo. Seems they both are selling well at least.

Now the question is will Uncharted 4 and Gears 4 be amazing or be another Halo 5/SFV.

Well that's good, Ratchet and Clank and Quantum Break are the only good "exclusives" this year so far imo. Seems they both are selling well at least.

Now the question is will Uncharted 4 and Gears 4 be amazing or be another Halo 5/SFV.
You mean in terms of commercial performance? I don't think UC4 has anything to worry about. It will perform exceedingly well. No clue about Gears. We'll see with that one.

Welfare

Oh, definitely not. What's your take on this? Do you think the XB1 has exceeded 20 million already?

Already as in April 19th? Yeah, sure.

And is it shipped or sold through.

What, the 55m? Can't be shipped because it goes against MS saying that the XB1 is still tracking ahead of the 360. ~55m shipped would mean the the XB1 fell behind massively and isn't realistic at all.

Paganmoon

Already as in April 19th? Yeah, sure.

What, the 55m? Can't be shipped because it goes against MS saying that the XB1 is still tracking ahead of the 360. ~55m shipped would mean the the XB1 fell behind massively and isn't realistic at all.

So the "over 20 million" for Xbox One is definitely sold through then?

Edit: God damnit, who can we petition to get your avatar bet revoked?

Halo 5 should be no where near SFV in this type of talk.

They both have major issues that even fans won't deny, especially Halo 5. Not that they are bad, but I mean SFV had a few issues, some still not fixed, same with Halo imo.

for QB your evidence is?

From confirmed Retail sources its not, from the UK sales data, its not, even from the amazon monthlies/annuals its not.

Microsoft?
I mean I know the new IP statement doesn't say too much but considering the final LTDs of both Ryse and SO, especially RYSE, it looks promising so far, especially if it keeps pace.

as for R&C I got that from Javin, said Abdiel a retail, stated it's doing better than expected.

Top Bottom