• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

I've got to wonder why leaks seem to be so prevalent these days. All these leaks about PS4K, XB1, etc. has got to hurt the marketing of the products, right?

Or it feeds into the hype? Tough to say. I've never heard anyone complain about people being so engaged in a product or idea though.

pixelation

Code:
[img]https://45.media.tumblr.com/a6a5f1fc0873c91fc17484a283edbb4e/tumblr_nasdjtoVcJ1rf0hsxo1_500.gif[/img]

lol, i dig your posts. You are a funny guy.

Also... i wanna see MS win one month to see if they keep their MAU shenanigans or suddenly have a change of heart.

lol, i dig your posts. You are a funny guy.

Also... i wanna see MS win one month to see if they keep their MAU shenanigans or suddenly have a change of heart.
I don't think they said anything out of the new norm when they took April and October of last year. They've pretty much made their bed in that regard.

Live by the MAU, die by the MAU.

Namikaze

Dang, I can't believe SFV didn't even chart. Even Zelda and Pokken did. I know it had some negative press due to a lack of arcade mode etc. but I figured sales would be a lot higher, especially since it's the first new SF game in years and everyone was expecting it later in the generation. Dang, Capcom must be really disappointed.

Fdkn

Dang, I can't believe SFV didn't even chart. Even Zelda and Pokken did. I know it had some negative press due to a lack of arcade mode etc. but I figured sales would be a lot higher, especially since it's the first new SF game in years and everyone was expecting it later in the generation. Dang, Capcom must be really disappointed.

SFV charted in February. It's not a good performer so it never was going to chart again in march. We've been through this enough times on this thread already

Namikaze

Completely slipped my mind that it released in February, thanks. Not sure why I thought it came out this month--good to hear that it charted at least. I even bought it back then...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Capcom wanted 3 million copies sold. I don't even think it's done 1 million

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201412902#post201412902

As promised, here's my thread. I got impatient reading some of the crap around the threads.

Thanks for this thread. Seriously.

Navigating gaming has been a bit tiresome with the implosion of PS4K and the like threads.

Edit: Also, while I think SFV had okayish legs this month, I'm failing to see how it keeps up with little in the way of enticing casuals outside a rerelease. I've even lost interest in the game and I'm pretty hardcore into fighting games (though that might be the SF OT being horrible to visit making me lose interest, rather then anything else).

Fady K

So on DLC Jeff Cannata said that Ratchet and Clank had the best first week sales in the franchise's history. Guessing this info came straight from Insomoniac as he was at Insominiac last week.

Anyone have statistics on R&c sales?guessing we would have at least Future series sales.

This pleases me. Didn't expect this. I hope this bodes very well for its sales.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When did the MAU stuff really kick off? Was it January or was it December? Feels like it's been a lot longer than that?

I believe they started using it mostly October of last year. Though they have not been giving numbers for a lot longer than that, but the 'MAU PR' started back then, if not earlier, and Spencer 'explained' why in articles posted on March 1st this year.

So on DLC Jeff Cannata said that Ratchet and Clank had the best first week sales in the franchise's history. Guessing this info came straight from Insomoniac as he was at Insominiac last week.

Anyone have statistics on R&c sales?guessing we would have at least Future series sales.

This pleases me. Didn't expect this. I hope this bodes very well for its sales.

I have been saying this weeks before it launched, that it will be overlooked by many in here, but will chart top 3, if not number one for this month's NPD.

This type of game has been sorely missed in a sea of RPG/OpenWorld/FPS saturation. It has a very attractive impulse price, and also a movie premiering soon. Sony seems focused to establishing their old 'mascots' beyond just gaming. Not unlike Nintendo is starting to do with the theme park and possible movie talks.

And yes, it pleases me too. The game is absolutely brilliant. I never played them in the PS2 days, enjoyed Tools (my first R&C game), Quest for Booty, and Crack in Time on the PS3. Loving every second of this on the PS4.

Thanks for this thread. Seriously.

Navigating gaming has been a bit tiresome with the implosion of PS4K and the like threads.

Edit: Also, while I think SFV had okayish legs this month, I'm failing to see how it keeps up with little in the way of enticing casuals outside a rerelease. I've even lost interest in the game and I'm pretty hardcore into fighting games (though that might be the SF OT being horrible to visit making me lose interest, rather then anything else).
What's wrong with the OT? And when was the last time you visited? It's on #4 atm...

What's wrong with the OT? And when was the last time you visited? It's on #4 atm...

This is just my personal view on the matter. It was far too antagonistic and bitchy for my tastes around the time Alex was released. Didn't really feel like lurking/participating in an OT like that. Just my own experience though and I probably should've clarified initially. Don't mean to throw the entire OT under the bus or anything.

OT: Hoping the first week news of R&C being the best in the franchise is true. Would be a great result for the game, given how long it's been absent.

I have been saying this weeks before it launched, that it will be overlooked by many in here, but will chart top 3, if not number one for this month's NPD.

This type of game has been sorely missed in a sea of RPG/OpenWorld/FPS saturation. It has a very attractive impulse price, and also a movie premiering soon. Sony seems focused to establishing their old 'mascots' beyond just gaming. Not unlike Nintendo is starting to do with the theme park and possible movie talks.

And yes, it pleases me too. The game is absolutely brilliant. I never played them in the PS2 days, enjoyed Tools (my first R&C game), Quest for Booty, and Crack in Time on the PS3. Loving every second of this on the PS4.

Dark Souls 3 should be number 1 pretty easily. Ratchet has no shot at the top spot

Square2015

Alright I'm continuing the Classic Sales-Age historical report. I apologize for missing the last few months but as promised the chart is expanded and even included handhelds from the GBA era onward. (These are the complete charts I actually made years ago.)

Previously I compared the past cycles with the WiiU, focusing on Nintendo consoles but as the WiiU loses relevancy and the dominant consoles reign I want to make comparisons with the leading consoles and this corresponds to years: 2009, 2004, 1999, 1994 (1989?)

Check out what we were buying during the past cycles AKA "teh good ole days":

MARCH SALES Past Four Cycles
2Lescym.png

My writeup from last year (Nintendo focused):

MARCH 2009 - Wii
This is the month of Resident Evil 5's release (at #1 and #4) on the HD consoles and Pokemon Platinum (#2) on DS. Oh and Halo Wars.
Surprisingly there are no major releases for the typically heavy, big-name Nintendo month of March...but there's really no need is there? with dat momentum.
Wii Fit (at #5) sells another half a million (541,000), one of its slower months :p the megahit from last Spring now sits in 6.5m American homes (and retirement centers), after just under a year on the market! The next Wii titles Wii Play (#8) and Mario Kart Wii (#9) at over a quarter million each continue into unknown 10 million+ territory while Mario Kart speeds pass the 5.7m mark].

Wii sells another incredible 600,000 this month, this may be the final month of shortages. We will see sales drop to a more "normal" pace after this month. Supply is able to reach the insane demand three years after launch.

MARCH 2004 - GC
GameCube is coming off of the price drop to $99 last fall which gave the system a powerful boost over the second place rival XBOX. XB outsold it by about a mere 13,000 this month though. GC LTD sits at 7.2m to XB 8.0m (and PS2 23m).

Pokémon Coliseum was the big March release (at #2) with 343,000 sold, just under Ninja Gaiden (#1) which is the first XB release to make #1. If GAF memory serves, the NPD report this month mentioned sales for Coliseum were a disappointment. This could be because its predecessor, Stadium, moved a million in March alone just four years earlier.
The Metal Gear Solid next-gen "remaster" Twin Snakes debuted (#7) with 122,000. Is this a disappointment? ...Given how popular the series had become (just the the two installments up to this point) and given the level of acclaim the first had received is this to be expected?
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! the big Christmas hit at #19 this month passed the 1.5m mark by the end of March.
Harvest Moon: another world (#20) debuted nicely with 68,000. The previous two Harvest Moons debuted poorly and largely unnoticed. The original HM on SNES sold no greater than 20,000 total while its N64 sequel was able to sell 10x as much.

Square's long anticipated return to Nintendo last month with Crystal Chronicles, the #1 seller in February (selling a quarter million), fell to #25 in March to surpass 305,000 LTD. These are great numbers IMO.
The January release of Sonic Heroes has pushed some good numbers for a Sonic spinoff on the system, totaling at over 330,000. Sega continues to do well on GC, Sonic Adventure 2 (battle) broke a million. It was a good choice to put Sonic on Nintendo continuing the popularity of the series long after its peak post-16 bit.

MARCH '99 - N64
Whoa! Mario Party [1]! After debuting #1 last month with 213,000, this month (at #2) another 245,000 sell for this new multiplayer party genre. Zelda 64 remains STRONG at #15 with close to 120,000 for the month topping 2.6m. GoldenEye sees no end, just under Zelda with 110,000 and 3.9m LTD. On down the chart, the other X'mas megahit, Rogue Squadron (#15), sells 80,000 to become a million seller this month.
January's Castlevania 64 sits under 180,000 total. The much press-curious, Beetle Adventure Racing debuts under 40,000 (#46), we'll see how it fairs next month...

The N64 HW itself sells about half of PSX. LTDs for the two look like 11m and 16m respectively.

MARCH '94 - SNES
My favorite era ;) March '94 was EXPLOSIVE, Jam-packed explosive. NBA Jam broke records with 1 million sold this month alone between the GEN and SNES (670k GEN to 410k SNES).
This is currently Genesis domination season ignited by the release of the Genesis 2 and Mortal Kombat last fall. The GEN has outsold the SNES since the release of the GEN2 last August to this month. My data estimated 3.6m sold during these critical months, the best months the GEN will see. SNES sold 2.8m during the same time frame, the weakest performance over the powerful fall-christmas-spring period for the system and a disappointment for NCL and no doubt NoA.
However the hype for Sega may be beginning to slow as new SNES pack-ins are planned (five actually!) over the next few months in addition to some games we want! Next month is Metroid 3...
A first sign of a Nintendo comeback comes in the stronger debut of NoA's new Ken Griffey title: at #5 MLB featuring Ken Griffey Jr. wins out with 45,000 sold to Sega's renown, World Series Baseball title (#9), which debuted this month with 32,000 sold.
Now guys, Mega Man X has fallen to #20 it deserves better yeah? The January release has pushed just 70,000 by the end of March. Meanwhile last month's BOOM megahit, Sonic 3 (#3 this month) is above 400,000 already LTD!

GEN HW sold 270,000 to SNES's 180,000 this month. We're looking at an incredibly close LTD: 9.8m to 9.6m !!! Aaaaah
If this goes over well maybe it would be cool to create a Classic NPD thread for each month. I don't want to give more recent info for obvious reasons, so it is minimalized to the generations before the last [wii-gen] which should be safe now.

*Bows*

manou001

Neo Member
Just bought Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2 on sales (EU) and I just don't understand why I can put SFA2 on my Vita no problem, but cannot put SFA1 .
Tried everything I could find on the net, downloading the game with my PS3...
Silly thing is it seems SFA1 (US) can be put on the Vita. Doesn't make sense.

If someone has a useful tip, many thanks !

Shin-chan

Man Ninja Gaiden getting 360K ... Am I right in thinking it would be seriously lucky to get those sales these days? I'm not sure how NG Sigma, NG2 and NG3/RE performed, but I get the feeling the brand has shrunk.

Let's hope NiOh can open to a similar figure for Team Ninja.

Fady K

Personally I'm expecting it to launch in the lower half, maybe between 8th to 10th place. But the fact that it had the series best launch week is amazing news :D

This genre has definitely been missed and is very rare these days. Good on them for pricing it at $40. I wonder if the movie will help it out and vice versa.

Your impressions are lovely to see - enjoy it friend :D! I look forward to playing it as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dark Souls 3 should be number 1 pretty easily. Ratchet has no shot at the top spot

That is the reason I was not firm on the top spot. I am still sticking to top 3 at least. If not, no big deal to me, the game is still deserving of praise.

Ratchet & Clank being out of stock in Amazon is a huge fail on someone's part. Hopefully it gets restock soon.

Yeah, that is not good and bad at the same time. Good, because they are selling way better than expected, bad, because it could effect charting position if this is common in other outlets as well.

Love the classic posts, thank you!

Man, sooooo many more games (and more sales) back in the day. My goodness.

Agreed. A whole different perspective seeing these now at my interest in sales threads. Nostalgia trip inducing.

Personally I'm expecting it to launch in the lower half, maybe between 8th to 10th place. But the fact that it had the series best launch week is amazing news :D

This genre has definitely been missed and is very rare these days. Good on them for pricing it at $40. I wonder if the movie will help it out and vice versa.

Your impressions are lovely to see - enjoy it friend :D! I look forward to playing it as well.

You are going to enjoy it. Important thing is, the critical acclaim with not only critics, but gamers everywhere just shows these games are not 'dead'. I hope this spells great things for the series, as well as encourages other IP holders to dip their toes back in.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
MARCH 2004 - GC
GameCube is coming off of the price drop to $99 last fall which gave the system a powerful boost over the second place rival XBOX. XB outsold it by about a mere 13,000 this month though. GC LTD sits at 7.2m to XB 8.0m (and PS2 23m).

Man, GC VS XBOX was one of the best battle ever...

Kusagari

Man Ninja Gaiden getting 360K ... Am I right in thinking it would be seriously lucky to get those sales these days? I'm not sure how NG Sigma, NG2 and NG3/RE performed, but I get the feeling the brand has shrunk.

Let's hope NiOh can open to a similar figure for Team Ninja.

NG and NG2 were basically pushed on the Xbox/360 as first party MS games. It helped them both immensely.

Third party sellers trying to cash in on the shortage.

In 2016, we have a shortage of physical Ratchet & Clank games. This is actually a great sign believe it or not. Very happy for Insomniac! PS4 games can get turned around in < 2 weeks, so getting back in stock quickly shouldn't be too big an issue.

Welfare

In 2016, we have a shortage of physical Ratchet & Clank games. This is actually a great sign believe it or not. Very happy for Insomniac! PS4 games can get turned around in < 2 weeks, so getting back in stock quickly shouldn't be too big an issue.

So just in time for the movie, eh?

I'm sure the game will do fine but the R&C movie is almost set to bomb. Probably doesn't help that there's been a ton of high profile, critically acclaimed movies aimed at kids that have just come out or will release around then.

This is just my personal view on the matter. It was far too antagonistic and bitchy for my tastes around the time Alex was released. Didn't really feel like lurking/participating in an OT like that. Just my own experience though and I probably should've clarified initially. Don't mean to throw the entire OT under the bus or anything.

OT: Hoping the first week news of R&C being the best in the franchise is true. Would be a great result for the game, given how long it's been absent.
oh yeah it's like that still. I just try to ignore them and enjoy the game though. We do lobbies every week whenever you want to join. Some good players in GAF as well.

Megatron

SFV charted in February. It's not a good performer so it never was going to chart again in march. We've been through this enough times on this thread already

It was never going to because the game is a dissapointment, but in a perfect world the game would be packed with content, released on all 3 systems and be sitting at least where far cry primal is (dont forget, thats a february game also) people trying to sweep sf5's failure under the rug like this was always totally expected is hilarious.

Fdkn

It was never going to because the game is a dissapointment, but in a perfect world the game would be packed with content, released on all 3 systems and be sitting at least where far cry primal is (dont forget, thats a february game also) people trying to sweep sf5's failure under the rug like this was always totally expected is hilarious.

You need to read better because I actually said that it wouldn't chart again because it's not performing good enough for that to happen.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
How much exactly do you think Ratchet or Dark Souls are going to sell to displace it?

Dark Souls III will sell over 500K in April.

Btw, of course Ratchet and Clank won't beat it... even with a super optimist 250K for Ratchet, The Division will still easy outsell it.

Why wouldn't a new Souls game take #1?

Since Souls is now just another AAA, annualized, sequel-driven franchise, basically making minor improvements on a well established formula and milking that sales cow, it belongs right up there at the top.

I kid, I kid

Why wouldn't a new Souls game take #1?

Since Souls is now just another AAA, annualized, sequel-driven franchise, basically making minor improvements on a well established formula and milking that sales cow, it belongs right up there at the top.

I kid, I kid

Because no one wants to sell their soul. :)

Speaking of, how much has the best selling Souls game Sould?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Dark Souls III will sell over 500K in April.

Btw, of course Ratchet and Clank won't beat it... even with a super optimist 250K for Ratchet, The Division will still easy outsell it.

Based on what? The Division is #46 & #56 on Amazon April list. R&C is #2, has Amazon been wrong so much before? I guess it is three platforms to one, but the Division has no legs, no good word of mouth.

Top Bottom