• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

Chobel

Why do you expect UC4 bundle to sell a lot? May is slow month for consoles sales and the bundle is +50$ more expensive than the base SKU. I doubt it will even sell 100K.

The question, though, is how much? Getting the price point right on both will be key. If they fuck that up it'll only hurt one or the other--possibly both.

Well both consoles should be seeing 'slim' revisions using 14nm, so that should shave quite a bit of cost on both of them, as well as making the PS4K possible at a price point around what the PS4's original cost was, now that we know what kind of performance its aiming for.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'm going to go 900k retail, 200k Bundle,

Not a chance the bundle will see THAT much... at first, PS4 is most likely gonna sell < 200K in April.

Or if will be over 200K, can't be by much. Just barely.

May is the Uncharted month so should easy sell better than in April, but even so, 300K in May remain a hard result. For a comparation, not even the 360 in 2011 sold 300K in May, and it was selling usually something close to 400-500K or so in a month.

But even if sells 300K or over in May, 200K for the bundle mean 66% of total PS4 sales that month... no way.

This is not an accessible bundle, is just like the Halo 5 bundle a limited version of the PS4.

You can already see that the demand is not that high since was out of TOP 100 in Amazon monthly March. For a comparation, Halo bundle was #24 in August, and that bundle sold only 93,000.

So, well, i believe 100K is ABSOLUTELY the maximim, most likely well under that.

If Sony maked a COD / Star Wars style bundle for $350, then 200K was possible.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
They had 2 massive releases last quarter compared to the 0 last year.

And yeah, I'd be surprised if the PS4 did anything much more than 200k in May. That bundle isn't going to be moving a lot in a slow month like May.

So far this gen, there aren't console which sold over 200K in May... Even during May 2014, which was the Watch Dogs month, the PS4 sold 197,000...

So yeah, i think PS4 will sell over 200K, maybe even almost 250K, but i really doubt we will see crazy numbers or what... don't expect a lot.

Loudninja

Ratchet and Clank UK
Ratchet Reborn

25/Apr/2016

Sony and Insomniac make a triumphant return with a first outing on PS4 for &#8216;Ratchet & Clank&#8217;, the first in the series to debut at No1.

The game debuts just a few days before the movie (UK release date is 29th April). The game series began back in week 45, 2002 on PS2 with &#8216;Ratchet and Clank&#8217; having held the previous best week 1 for All Formats chart postion (No15). In terms of week 1 sales units the record was held by 2009&#8217;s PS3 &#8216;Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time&#8217;, but the current release beats this by a factor of 3. Bandai Namco&#8217;s &#8216;Dark Souls III&#8217; drops to No2 after 1 week at the top (-80%) and EA climb 9 places to No3 with &#8216;Star Wars Battlefront&#8217; (+177%) &#8211; of course this is also the week where &#8216;Star Wars The Force Awakens&#8217; arrived on DVD/Blu-ray.

Three other new releases make the Top 40 this week. The second is Nintendo&#8217;s WiiU Not bat at all.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Great, but who wants to bet against me? Welfare? :p

He said he will never bet again, cause, you know... :p

the_hero_is_mine__by_jora_bora-d6tvwss.png

Rymuth

Ah, damn it, I hope someone else would take up the bet. I'm quite confident I will win this one. :p
You can't lure in somebody by flaunting how confident you are. You gotta reel 'em in by saying something outlandish that you're secretly confident of.

For example: Quantum Break will do less than The Order 1886.

Elandyll

Banned
Why do you expect UC4 bundle to sell a lot? May is slow month for consoles sales and the bundle is +50$ more expensive than the base SKU. I doubt it will even sell 100K.
Yeah I forgot it was a $399 bundle with custom PS4 instead of a $349 one, and it's visibly not tearing up the charts currently.

Revising to 100k bundles top (thanks to long time pre orders too), so about 1m retail (incl bundle).

Javin98

Banned
You can't lure in somebody by flaunting how confident you are. You gotta reel 'em in by saying something outlandish that you're secretly confident of.

For example: Quantum Break will do less than The Order 1886.
Yeah, that's another one. In fact, I do think QB will sell less than TO1886. However, I'm not sure enough to bet on that and I don't want a horrible avatar. :p

Paganmoon

Yeah, that's another one. In fact, I do think QB will sell less than TO1886. However, I'm not sure enough to bet on that and I don't want a horrible avatar. :p

Two things to consider, will the bet be by NPD numbers, or "official" numbers by MS PR (or spokespersons). In other words, how bundled is QB?

In extension, I wonder if MS PR and spokespersons will count Windows 10 sales, including any codes redeemed from the Xbox One pre-orders.

Javin98

Banned
Two things to consider, will the bet be by NPD numbers, or "official" numbers by MS PR (or spokespersons). In other words, how bundled is QB?

In extension, I wonder if MS PR and spokespersons will count Windows 10 sales, including any codes redeemed from the Xbox One pre-orders.
What on earth are you talking about? Why would anyone use MS PR as credible fact? Do you really buy into their spins or something? If we were to rely on the spins, Halo 5 is the biggest game in the franchise, revenue wise, but we all know that was bullshit spins.

Good grief, man, keep that away from me. :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know this is the UK, but it seems to be translating a similar trend here as well...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-25-ps4-exclusive-ratchet-and-clank-tops-uk-chart

PlayStation 4 exclusive Ratchet & Clank has topped the UK all-format charts - and has become the first game in Sony's long-running series to do so.

But Nintendo's Wii U exclusive Star Fox Zero fared less well - it only made the chart's sixth place.

To put the new Ratchet & Clank's success into perspective, it now has the highest UK launch sales of the series by some margin. It has tripled the release week total of the franchise's previous best release week, for Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time on PS3.

Dark Souls 3 fell from first to second this week, ahead of a resurgent Star Wars: Battlefront, which moved up from 12th to 3rd - helped by the launch of The Force Awakens' on DVD and Blu-ray.

Welfare

Interesting that A Crack in Time was the best launch in the UK. In the US, it did almost 75k in its October debut with only one official week, but apparently it released early in stores.

Also it looks like ACiT in the UK bombed at launch anyway (was #16 launch week), so tripling that number might not be that impressive depending on what number it's actually tripling.

Edit: just saw it did >36k at launch. Going to predict it does 205k in the US.

Because of?

Can't imagine they did an initial production run of 200k for the US physical market for a 1st party title, and the thing seems to have sold out of launch run units.
Oh, I was just saying I don't see it selling above 250K. Just a feeling in order to avoid disappointment from inflated expectations.

Top Bottom