• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

thefro

If we are tracking by individual SKUs, is Zelda BOTW Switch #1?

I think that top ten (in the old style NPD used to release) would probably have that and Horizon over the individual Ghost Recon SKUs.

big_erk

People just seem to have not been interested in it. BOTW was clearly what everyone was going nuts for. Even if it was bundled, they probably would've played with it for a while and then forgot about it.

The game just came off as ill-conceived all-around.

It's not that it was ill conceived. It just didn't feel like a full price game. I would have been tempted at $19.99. But that is as high as I would go.

Tubie

PS4
1. Wildlands
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. ME Andromeda
4. MLB 17 The Show
5. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
6. Nier: Automata
7. GTA V
8. NBA 2K17
9. For Honor
10. COD IW

I'm so happy with how well Nier Automata did.

Game is a masterpiece every PS4 owner should try at some point.

Maybe this is enough for Square to let Yoko Taro and Platinum partner up again in the near future.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So

Switch

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 900,000
1-2 Switch - 172,000
Super Bomberman R (Konami)
Just Dance 2017 (Ubisoft)
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Nicalis)
Skylanders Imaginators (Activision)

3rd to 6th - 230,000

Given how Bomberman is 17th in the revenue chart, in spite of its MSRP ($49.99), I suppose it was a bit higher than 100,000, so JD2017+BoI+S:I - < 130,000. Probably, their sum is quite less than 130,000, meaning that SBR is quite higher than 100,000. I wonder if JD2017 even obtained to reach 50,000 copies sold.

I'm so happy with how well Nier Automata did.

Game is a masterpiece every PS4 owner should try at some point.

Maybe this is enough for Square to let Yoko Taro and Platinum partner up again in the near future.
Already said they wanna work with platinum again. Whether that means yoko taro again as well remains to be seen. Doubt we've seen the last of nier now tho

Toni

How does the second highest console hardware launch in a non-holiday period not mean much exactly?

Probably because Xbox One's debut is not far behind the Switch's. And its currently falling below the 360 in sales.

Dynomutt

These co-op shooters are sleepers. People like playing with friends. I fell for it with The Division which ultimately fizzled out. With that said if Destiny 2 hits on all mark both meta+comercially releasing on PS4, Xbox, and PC it could be absolutely huge for Bungie, Activision, and Sony. It could have longer legs then the current Destiny.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Zelda at #2.. O_O.... I remember some Gafers saying that Zelda had zero chance against Horizon in March... Really good month overall.

I'm going to assume those people were trolling.

legendary IP + new console launch + shortage of launch titles vs. new IP.

no brainer who was gonna win that one...

OK thank you guys

I will be logging in tomorrow to answer any more questions

I live in the UK and I am going to bed as it is 1:15am my time.

Have a great day and happy gaming !

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Probably because Xbox One's debut is not far behind the Switch's. And its currently falling below the 360 in sales.

It released in March. Those are insane numbers for a non-holiday month and a supply-constrained system.

Hero

It's sarcasm.

Shit, sorry. Sarcasm detector has been on the fritz lately.

Did the Xbox One start falling behind 360 in sales? Launch aligned, this would be the year where Xbox 360 Slim + Kinect launched and started to really take off, right?

Calm Mind

Rockstar, you know you wanna.

gT0NvGK.png

ggx2ac

How does the second highest console hardware launch in a non-holiday period not mean much exactly?

Somebody didn't get the reference.

The thread with Switch having the biggest launch for a Nintendo console in the US and Zelda having a 100% attach rate had many people downplaying the figures.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Maybe if people don't understand how launches work.I mean obviously great debut for switch and all but comparing launch months of successful consoles is pretty hard as every single of them was supply constrained. Especially in the past. Something like Wii would had sold over 2 million units during launch month if it had supply.

Also I know its a running joke but ppl really shouldnt look too much into console launches. Like there were a few articles that said the PS4 and XBO were gonna sell poorly due to the Wii U selling poorly between its launch and their launch after starting off good.

Zelda at #2.. O_O.... I remember some Gafers saying that Zelda had zero chance against Horizon in March... Really good month overall.

Bottom line both games did better then expected.

My purchase of horizon is not included :( More people need to buy it. GR is not a suprise based on the number of platforms it's on (it's still a mediocre game and not ghost recon). I bet the gta online crowd likes it though.

Rob2K19

Oh, look. A remastered re-release of a remastered re-release released at the end of March and placed 11th overall in NPD charts and 5th in PS4 software. :)

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Amazing performances by Switch and Zelda. With Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Minecraft, ARMS and Splatoon 2 all coming month after month until August I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

Good to see NieR in there too!

Somebody didn't get the reference.

The thread with Switch having the biggest launch for a Nintendo console in the US and Zelda having a 100% attach rate had many people downplaying the figures.

Which is stupid .
A good month is a good month for both Zelda and Nintendo .
Even if sales drop after a year or go up it's still the second best launch for a console ever.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Going forward, I'll be putting the year to date and trailing twelve month charts in the top part along with the monthly results, and platform specific charts in the Other Information section, since the first three are the general industry, and the others are specific interest items.

My purchase of horizon is not included :( More people need to buy it. GR is not a suprise based on the number of platforms it's on (it's still a mediocre game and not ghost recon). I bet the gta online crowd likes it though.

They had a really great pitch of four player co-op military GTA.

Had they delivered a game that was, you know, better, I could easily see it having been a 10-15+ million copy title.

Instro

1-2 Switch doesnt seem to have done very well anywhere. Maybe it will have better legs over time, although Nintendo's casual software has been pretty doa after the Wii/DS era.

Shit, sorry. Sarcasm detector has been on the fritz lately.

Did the Xbox One start falling behind 360 in sales? Launch aligned, this would be the year where Xbox 360 Slim + Kinect launched and started to really take off, right?

That will be next year. This year will be against 2009 with X360. X360 had rather abnormal life in terms of peak sales.

Also I know its a running joke but ppl really shouldnt look too much into console launches. Like there were a few articles that said the PS4 and XBO were gonna sell poorly due to the Wii U selling poorly between its launch and their launch after starting off good.

Yeah. Great launch is of course very positive sign but for longer term you need more data to predict and see just how successful the product will be.

Good to see RE7 going strong this year, plus a couple of new IPs making the list. And Nier in March is nice too. Videogames are good right now.

Top Bottom