• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall Results:

March retail game sales are up 24% year over year.

Hardware was up 91% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were up 5% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales (for AAA games from participating publishers) were down 25% year over year.

Software:

March 2017:

1. Tom Clancy's Ghost Record: Wildlands ** (Ubisoft) - Best Ghost Recon debut ever, #2 Tom Clancy title debut behind The Division.
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild * (Nintendo) - Over 900K physical on Switch. However, keep in mind that these are ranked by dollar sales, not units, and that this spot represents Switch + Wii U.
  3. Mass Effect: Andromeda ** (Electronic Arts) - Second best Mass Effect debut ever, after Mass Effect 3 (which sold 1.3 million in its first month).
  4. Horizon: Zero Dawn * (Sony) - Best Guerrilla debut ever, selling twice as much as their second highest debut, Killzone 2. That should put it around 648K.
  5. MLB 17: The Show * (Sony)
  6. Grand Theft Auto V ** (Take-Two)
  7. For Honor ** (Ubisoft)
  8. NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
  9. Nier: Automata (Square Enix)
  10. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
  11. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 = 4.0 Remix (Square Enix)
  12. Battlefield 1 ** (Electronic Arts)
  13. 1-2 Switch * (Nintendo) - 19% attach rate to the Switch.
  14. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (Capcom)
  15. Overwatch ** (Activision Blizzard)
  16. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege ** (Ubisoft)
  17. Super Bomberman R * (Konami)
  18. FIFA 17 ** (Electronic Arts)
  19. Lego Worlds (Warner Bros)
  20. Madden NFL 17 (Electronic Arts)
* No Digital Sales
** No Origin, Battle.net, uPlay, or non-Steam sales

Year To Date (all 2017 months combined):
  1. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Ubisoft)
  2. For Honor (Ubisoft)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
  4. Resident Evil 7 (Capcom)
  5. Mass Effect: Andromeda (Electronic Arts)
  6. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
  7. Horizon: Zero Dawn (Sony)
  8. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
  9. NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
  10. Battlefield 1 (Electronic Arts)
Trailing 12 Months (April 2016 - March 2017):
  1. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
  2. Battlefield 1 (Electronic Arts)
  3. NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
  4. Madden NFL 17 (Electronic Arts)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
  6. Overwatch (Activision Blizzard)
  7. FIFA 17 (Electronic Arts)
  8. Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)
  9. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Ubisoft)
  10. Dark Souls 3 (Bandai Namco)
Notes:
- Platform specific charts are below.
- Ghost Recon: Wildlands is the best ever Ghost Recon launch, and second best Tom Clancy launch after The Division.
- In reference to franchises: "Zelda is the top-selling property of all time within the Adventure super genre, selling 54 percent more revenue than the next best-selling franchise, Resident Evil."
- "Switch's packaged software sold 1.3m units, a record high for a Nintendo platform launch."
- Mass Effect: Andromeda had the second best launch behind Mass Effect 3.
- Zelda sold over 900K physical units on Switch.
- Horizon was the best Guerrilla debut ever, selling twice as much as their second best debut, Killzone 2.
- 1-2 Switch made the top 20 best-selling games chart with an attach rate of 19 percent.
- Starting next month, Microsoft's digital sales will be reflected in the software charts.
- We'll get a full year to date chart soon, but Ghost Recon is #1 for the year, For Honor is #2, and Zelda is #3 combining Switch and Wii U versions.

Hardware:

Switch: #1

Notes:
- "In this debut month (month 1), the Nintendo Switch sold 31K more units than previous best-selling Nintendo month-1 platform, the Game Boy Advanced, which released back in June 2001. The two Nintendo Switch SKUs, the 32GB Gray Joy-Con, followed by the 32GB Neon Red/Blue Joy-Con, were the best-selling systems for the month."
- "March 2017 will go down in history books as the month Nintendo broke records.The Nintendo Switch had the biggest hardware launch for a Nintendo platform and the second biggest launch for any video game platform since 1995, the time NPD began tracking this category."

Other Information:

Year To Date (all 2017 months combined):
1. Wildlands
2. For Honor
3. Zelda
4. RE 7
5. ME Andromeda
6. GTA V
7. Horizon Zero Dawn
8. COD IW
9. NBA 2K17
10. BF1

12 Months Ending March 2017
1. COD IW
2. BF1
3. NBA 2K17
4. Madden 17
5. GTA V
6. Overwatch
7. FIFA 17
8. FF XV
9. Wildlands
10. Dark Souls 3

XBO
1. Wildlands
2. ME Andromeda
3. For Honor
4. NBA 2K17
5. GTA V
6. COD IW
7. BF1
8. Halo Wars 2
9. Overwatch
10. Forza Horizon 3

PS4
1. Wildlands
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. ME Andromeda
4. MLB 17 The Show
5. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
6. Nier: Automata
7. GTA V
8. NBA 2K17
9. For Honor
10. COD IW

Switch

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. 1-2 Switch
3. Super Bomberman R (Konami)
4. Just Dance 2017 (Ubisoft)
5. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Nicalis)
6. Skylanders Imaginators (Activision)

3DS

1. Pokémon Sun
2. Pokémon Moon
3. Super Mario Maker
4. Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World
5. Mario Sports Superstars
6. Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (XSEED)
7. Super Smash Bros
8. Mario Kart 7
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
10. New Super Mario Bros 2

Wii U

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
3. Super Smash Bros
4. Minecraft (Microsoft)
5. Paper Mario: Color Splash
6. Pokkén Tournament
7. New Super Mario U + Luigi U
8. Super Mario Maker
9. Yoshi's Woolly World
10. Splatoon

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Breath of the Wild at #2 I said damn.

LordKano

I was expecting Horizon above Mass Effect but beside that, all according to keikaku.

EDIT : did bomberman seriously charted

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I didn't realize Ghost Recon was so popular.

Its the best selling game of 2017 so far.

People love their online coop shooters.

Ōkami

Jeez, Mass Effect.

Below Zelda means less than 1.4m, I remember they said something about expecting to sell 3m world wide for its first week.

I don't think its sold 200k in the UK so far, don't know about the rest of Europe, but the game seems to be underperforming big time.

Switch's packaged software sold 1.3m units, a record high for a Nintendo platform launch.
So 1 2 Switch sold 400k at best, assuming Bomberman and whatever else Switch launched with sold nothing.

Sterok

Bomberman in NPD. What a world we live in. I wonder how much 1-2-Switch was impacted by its lower price. Ubisoft keeps on winning like always.

Deku Tree

Does switch count as a console or a handheld?

Can Sony or MS PR say they are the best selling home console if they sell less than Switch?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Some quotes

"In this debut month (month 1), the Nintendo Switch sold 31K more units than previous best-selling Nintendo month-1 platform, the Game Boy Advanced, which released back in June 2001. The two Nintendo Switch SKUs, the 32GB Gray Joy-Con, followed by the 32GB Neon Red/Blue Joy-Con, were the best-selling systems for the month."

Breath of the Wild sold over 900,000 physical units, bumping the Zelda franchise total even higher, and NPD noted that "Switch's packaged software sold 1.3m units, a record high for a Nintendo platform launch." Even 1-2 Switch made the top 20 best-selling games chart (see below) with an attach rate of 19 percent.

While Nintendo and Ghost Recon each had big impacts, it's important to recognize the contributions of Mass Effect and Horizon Zero Dawn, which helped the industry reverse 9 consecutive months of year-on-year declines since May 2016. Indeed, Mass Effect: Andromeda, although maligned by some crtics, was the third best-selling title during the month and actually enjoyed the second best launch in the popular franchise (behind Mass Effect 3). As for Horizon Zero Dawn, NPD noted that Guerrilla Games' critically praised new IP "was the developer's best launch ever, selling twice as much as its next best title, Killzone Shadow Fall."

1-2 Switch - 172,140

But the extract about BotW...it's not clear enough if it refers to just the Switch SKU sales or overall (Switch + Wii U) sales.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wildlands is so off my radar I forgot it existed, so a bit surprised it got n°1. Glad Zelda got that second place.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Without reading the links in the OP, is it safe to assume those two links are because of the Switch and BotW? Or were a major reason for them being up YoY?

lol, nevermind I simple hover over the links with my mouse told me... ;-)

Dynomutt

I purchased Horizon digitally. I told myself I would not go digital this gen but between convenience and some arguably great PSN deals for AAA games under $10 it has been difficult.

allan-bh

Horizon Zero Dawn, NPD noted that Guerrilla Games' critically praised new IP "was the developer's best launch ever, selling twice as much as its next best title, Killzone Shadow Fall."

Ōkami;234351957 said:
Jeez, Mass Effect.

Below Zelda means less than 1.4m, I remember they said something about expecting to sell 3m world wide for its first week.

I don't think its sold 200k in the UK so far, don't know about the rest of Europe, but the game seems to be underperforming big time.

It underperformed critically as well so not surprised. Ghost Recon is more evidence that when it comes to multiplayer games reviews don't matter much at all.

1-2 Switch outsold by Nier and Kingdom Hearts. Wow, people really weren't interested in it.

Nier being top 10 is amazing. I don't think anyone ever would've seen that coming when it was announced. So happy about how successful it's been.

1-2 Switch - 172,140

Lol yiiiikes.

SkylineRKR

Surprised about GR. I did know some people who got it but I thought it wouldn't beat the other GR games. Surprised about Andromeda too, I bought it but... well, Persona 5 came out lol.

Cbajd5

Bomberman is in the top 20?

Ecuroro.jpg

Top Bottom