• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

maxcriden

noshten just posted this in the MC thread and I thought it would be of interest here also.

In non-Japan related sales news - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe just overtook Zelda in the annual rankings for Amazon.com...

April could very well be a 600K NPD performance for the Switch

Welfare

+29.8%

That's.... that's pretty darn good.

Oh shit, a .X%!

Thanks, that is still very good performance for current gen.

Is there any plans on NPD doing a comparison between Switch and older Nintendo hardware/lumping it in with XB1/PS4 and adding Wii to the last gen comparison?

Also, I get ~35M with that increase.

Oh shit, a .X%!

Thanks, that is still very good performance for current gen.

Is there any plans on NPD doing a comparison between Switch and older Nintendo hardware/lumping it in with XB1/PS4 and adding Wii to the last gen comparison?

do the math
i don't have old gen data

and i desperately need to know Q1 sales for XB1 and Ps4 combined
thanks in advance ;)

sphinx

the piano man
it's clear PS4 is doing much better than PS3 after 41 months but I wonder whether the X1 has managed to stay above 360 launch aligned, LTD, after all this time.

it's clear PS4 is doing much better than PS3 after 41 months but I wonder whether the X1 has managed to stay above 360 launch aligned, LTD, after all this time.

even if Xbox one did not sell a single units between January and March 2017, the Console would still be ahead of Xbox 360 on a LTD base ;)

Of course it is. I'm not hiding anything in the grouping. Come on now.

You know, thinking about it, it made more sense in my head but that wouldn't be that accurate of a comparison in practice I think.

It is a bit awkward.

Welfare

Xbox 360 was at ~14.9M as of month 41. Xbox One as of January 2017 (Month 39) was at 16M.

donny2112

41 months is 3.5 years. 3.5 years from 360 launch is mid-2009. PS3Slim was Sept-2009, I think. 360 Slim was June 2010. Kinect was later in 2010. 2010 and going forward is where 360 really took off. If XB1 is going to fall behind 360, it'll start ~ a year from now launch-aligned.

Edit:
Looks like PS4+XB1 are about equal to PS2+XBX at the same point since launch for both, as well.

41 months is 3.5 years. 3.5 years from 360 launch is mid-2009. PS3Slim was Sept-2009, I think. 360 Slim was June 2010. Kinect was later in 2010. 2010 and going forward is where 360 really took off. If XB1 is going to fall behind 360, it'll start ~ a year from now launch-aligned.

Reading this is a reminder of just how long last gen dragged on and how long the legs were for the 360 and PS3. Barring a massive turnaround with the Scorpio I can't see the xbone having anywhere near as strong sales as the 360 had late in its life.

yes
this year Xbox One S + Xbox Scorpio will combat only 4.2 million 360 US sales (if my memory serves me correctly)

Xbox One won't fall behind X360 on a LTD base before 2019

Welfare

Well, ONE has only one strong market, the US.
In the rest of the world it sells very bad, 16M should be considered a good result, considered this state of things.

Edit :

Please.

It's not like Xbox One doesn't sell anywhere else. LTD 2016 sales are estimated to be ~27M (IHS had it at 27.6M) That's a ratio of ~57-59%, or ROTW sales of ~11-12M

Xbox One sales are probably >28M right now closing in on 29M.

Unless otherwise specified like above, all numbers are US only.

okay i take 1000k Ps4 and 650k Xb1 for my calculations

Q1 2016
Ps4 962k
Xb1 620k
both 1583k
ratio 1.55:1

Q1 2017
Ps4 ~1000k (up 4% YoY)
Xb1 ~650k (up 5% YoY)
both ~1650k (up 4% YoY)
ratio 1.54:1

If Ps4 is Stronger and XB1 weaker for Q1 than those estimates, the numbers would change, but not by much
Q1 2017
Ps4 ~1025k (up 6.5% YoY)
Xb1 ~625k (up 1% YoY)
both ~1650k (up 4% YoY)
ratio 1.64:1

not much changed from last year Q1
so Ps4 Pro + Ps4 Slim combined had the same effect as Xbox One S
both saved the Ps4 and Xbox One family from a YoY decline, but did not much to increase the sales

ethomaz

Banned
okay i take 1000k Ps4 and 650k Xb1 for my calculations
I don't think XB1 can reach 650k unless it did way more than 225k in March.

Jan: 160k
Feb: < 240k
Mar: > 225k (Mar > Feb?)

XB1 is probably flat yoy (or 1-2% up)... PS4 is probably more close to be accurate at around 1m.

ethomaz

Banned
No, no....console gaming is doomed.
The issue lies in the Wii I think.

While XB1 and PS4 are doing better than it predecessor it was not enough to weight the Wii sales.

So each month you have this scenario...

PS4 + XB1 sales UP xx% over PS360.

Console hardware sales DOWN xx%.

Both are true.

PS. Making a fast math this gen sold ~40m consoles while the last gen it was at ~50m consoles at the same period.

Loris146

PS4 is Up from last year? This is a really good news. Lot of users here predicted PS4 down in Q1 2017 IIRC.

PS4 Pro is doing a good job.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PS4 is Up from last year? This is a really good news. Lot of users here predicted PS4 down in Q1 2017 IIRC.

PS4 Pro is doing a good job.

Do we actually have any data proving this? The numbers above made it seem like it didn't have that much of an effect.

I know NPD is US only what I want to know is how it's tracking Worldwide compared to the 360?

Xb360 sold in (shipped) 28.5 million in its first 3 years (launch year + first 3 full years)
Xbox One is estimated to be between 26 and 28 million sold trough in its first 3 years
It's not like Xbox One doesn't sell anywhere else. LTD 2016 sales are estimated to be ~27M (IHS had it at 27.6M) That's a ratio of ~57-59%, or ROTW sales of ~11-12M

right now in it's lifetime XBox 360 was at 30.2 million sold in (shipped)
if you want to apply the usual 2:1 Ps4 Xbox One ratio Xbox One is slightly behind X360
but i do think the 2:1 ratio is not quite correct anymore. ~2.1:1 is my guess and that would put Xbox One shipments at ~28.5 million

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The issue lies in the Wii I think.

While XB1 and PS4 are doing better than it predecessor it was not enough to weight the Wii sales.

So each month you have this scenario...

PS4 + XB1 sales UP xx% over PS360.

Console hardware sales DOWN xx%.

Both are true.

PS. Making a fast math this gen sold ~40m consoles while the last gen it was at ~50m consoles at the same period.

Most definitely it's because of the drop off from Wii to Wii U.

The Switch so far is doing it's&#8203; part for Nintendo.

I didn't want to bring it up, lol.

It was just funny the consoles are dying, doomed posts when it was basically one company that was suffering. No matter how many times it's been mentioned.

Most definitely it's because of the drop off from Wii to Wii U.

The Switch so far is doing it's&#8203; part for Nintendo.

I didn't want to bring it up, lol.

It was just funny the consoles are dying, doomed posts when it was basically one company that was suffering. No matter how many times it's been mentioned.
I'm sure the narrative will change now that Nintendo is back in the game. Some just didn't want to accept the role Nintendo played in it all.

legend166

Xbox One sales are probably >28M right now closing in on 29M.

Unless otherwise specified like above, all numbers are US only.

When people say the Xbox only sells in the US, they don't literally mean they haven't sold consoles anywhere else. But to sell 60% of your consoles in the US isn't really a great sign. That was their problem with the original Xbox (only sold 6 million outside the US). They alleviated it with the 360, which I think sold about 40 million outside the US, but now they're going to struggle to reach half that with the XB1.

Nintendo had the same problem for awhile too with their home consoles. The N64 + GameCube sold a combined 33 million in the Americas but only 21 million outside of it.

Sony is really the only one of the three that has been able to has consistent global appeal.

Xb360 sold in (shipped) 28.5 million in its first 3 years (launch year + first 3 full years)
Xbox One is estimated to be between 26 and 28 million sold trough in its first 3 years

This tells you everything about the resurgence the 360 had in the second half of it's life. Shipped 28.5 million in the first 3 years, and then another 55 million for the remainder of its life. I mean I guess it shows how things can change but I can't see the XB1 doing the same.

When people say the Xbox only sells in the US, they don't literally mean they haven't sold consoles anywhere else. But to sell 60% of your consoles in the US isn't really a great sign. That was their problem with the original Xbox (only sold 6 million outside the US). They alleviated it with the 360, which I think sold about 40 million outside the US, but now they're going to struggle to reach half that with the XB1.

Nintendo had the same problem for awhile too with their home consoles. The N64 + GameCube sold a combined 33 million in the Americas but only 21 million outside of it.

Sony is really the only one of the three that has been able to has consistent global appeal.

people really need to put this stuff into perspective

Xbox sold ~60% in the US and ~40% ROTW
Xbox 360 sold ~52% in the US and ~ 48% ROTW
Xbox One sells ~60% in the US and ~40% ROTW

Ps3 sold ~ 30% in the US and ~70% ROTW
Wii sold ~ 45% in the US and ~ 55% ROTW
Ps4 sells ~ 33% in the US and ~ 67% ROTW

so yes, Xbox is more skewed towads the US
but no, Xbox One is not even close to "only selling in the US" or that being a very bad sign
otherwise most of the other console also sell pretty much only in the US

it's just how the landscape is

Welfare

Xbox sold ~75% in the US and ~25% ROTW

but no, Xbox One is not even close to "only selling in the US" or that being a very bad sign

Xbox was 60% in US as well. 14.5M:24M

Xbox 360, even with how big a success that was, still sold half its units in a single country. Mainly because it couldn't gain much ground in Asia and mainland Europe still went with Sony.

Xbox One is performing in line with how the brand has before, this time with even worse presence in Asia (China might be helping that though) and mainland Europe going massively with PlayStation. But even with that, it is still selling fine, just not at the level of a market leader.

goldage

Banned

Xbox sold ~75% in the US and ~25% ROTW

how does it make every other console also sell pretty much only in the US?

xbone is the only one that does 60% in the US, the other consoles do around half of that, it's skewing even more than the 360

the irony in you saying putting things into perspective when your perception is very skewed

Xbox was 60% in US as well. 14.5M:24M

yes? i took that 6M outside of the US as being correct without my own research. thanks for the correction

how does it make every other console also sell pretty much only in the US?

xbone is the only one that does 60% in the US, the other consoles do around half of that, it's skewing even more than the 360

the irony in you saying putting things into perspective when your perception is very skewed

seems like you don't get my post at all. IF Xbox is only selling in the US, pretty much every console is doing the same was the statement. but neither is true.
it just shows how big the US market is and all consoles sell most of their units there

take Japan out. a region, where the Xbox brand is non existent and the different becomes close to negligible in the grand schem of things
US : WW ratio without Japan
Xb360 55% US vs 45% ROTW
Ps3 35% US vs 65% ROTW
Wii 50% US vs 50% ROTW
Xb1 60% US vs 40% ROTW
Switch 45% US vs 55% ROTW
Ps4 36% US vs 64% ROTW

you can check those numbers for legacy console, too
have a guess what kind of picture you'll get ;)

the Playstation brand is the outliner, that is skewed towards ROTW and doing only half of what Xbox One is doing in the US
60% for Xbox One is nothing extraordinary.
anything below 75 or 80 is not "pretty much only selling in the US"

Yeah -- closest thing I would relate Xbox One vs. PS4 to in America is Sega Genesis vs. SNES. Both consoles are very relevant in the territory unlike the previous gen with 360 vs. PS3 or the gen before that with PS2 vs. Xbox.

a good comparison will be the legacy wireless mobile communication standards:

Xbox is basically CDMA while Playstation is GSM. While CDMA (covered by Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular) and GSM (covered by AT&T, T-Mobile) were basically 50/50 split back in the day in US, the rest of the world basically is just using GSM.

Top Bottom