• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

KevinRo

I must admit, I was caught by the PSP surge in sales. Althought my sales predictions weren't that bad, I wont be blinded by my fanboyism next month. I know who you are now PSP -.-

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
arne said:
Oh snapz!

We were talking about competing against Sony though, no problems with my statements only on that... :p

Can't say the same vs. Wii obviously.

Wow, did expect a reply. In any event, I hope people in Redmond have some sort of clue as to what they are going to do because the Wii threat is real. It's not so much about that though, make the 360 a stronger platform by dropping the price.

SSM25

I bought my second 360 last month, and two of my friends bought one too, and a couple of times I went to BB somebody was buying one at least....I'm impressed the 360 numbers are so low.

Branduil

chriskzoo said:
I'll have to put this up there with MySpace, Facebook, and Text messaging as things that are wildly popular that I have zero interest in. :lol

Well GAF is certainly the place for people who love to post in threads about things they could not care less about. You and drohne should have a private party where you can talk about how much you don't care about sales and Nintendo together.

GreekWolf

Xavien said:
The PS3 is already dead, it was dead last month and the month before that, now we are just waiting for some kind soul to put it out of its misery.

Microsoft doesn't care about the 360 as long as it does as much damage to Sony as possible, Microsoft laid the HD/Next-Gen trap and Sony fell straight into it.
I'm beginning to think you're right. Next-gen has been a complete joke thus far. Not in the quality of content, as I've thoroughly enjoyed the eye candy of my 360 and PS3, but in what our expectations were for the industry.

Nintendo has won, the 360 is plummeting and the Playstation 3 was DOA. Looks like I'll be picking up a Wii later this summer.

I still think Microsoft has a slight glimmer of hope of getting back into this thing with a price slash, but they'll need to do it soon and I just don't have the confidence that they intend to.

Grecco

Branduil said:
Well GAF is certainly the place for people who love to post in threads about things they could not care less about. You and drohne should have a private party where you can talk about how much you don't care about sales and Nintendo together.

:lol Wow. Extra points for the drohne mention

kassatsu

Banned
4mtckt3.gif

now with 100% more parka guy

Saitou

Banned
By the way, GBA is certain to beat PS3 this month. What retailer was it, that declared GBA "out of circulation" and ordered clearance on all items? Toys R Us?

Yeah, it'll run over the PS3 like a semi highlighting a passing deer.

crbowen

michaeld said:
Gawd I just pray Nin's domination doesn't change video games into what people get on the Wii or I will be done with gaming. I pray we have the choice of 360/PS3 style gaming and Nin gaming.

:lol

Every time someone says this I picture a kid at a toy store throwing a hissie fit because his mom didn't get him the hot new toy he wanted.

Get real, people. There's always going to be Halos, GTAs, etc.

There's a lot more non-gamers (not nerds) who buy games than there are hardcore gamers. Always has been, always will be.

And Microsoft and Sony are (hopefully) learning that your Average Joe don't want to spend over $300 to play video games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hero said:
So with May's NPD what does this bring all the LTD's and YTD's to?

I'll have very rough estimates of LTD's once the Media Create hardware comes in (any time)

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
http://www.thestreet.com/newsanalysis/techgames/10362733_2.html

"Most of games for Nintendo platforms were the company's titles, compared with the Xbox 360, which had games from independent publishers break the charts," said Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Microsoft's Xbox 360.

"For the Xbox 360, we are seeing 65% of third-party sales come from third-party publishers, compared with 15% for the PS3 and 25% for the Wii," he said.

Oni Jazar

Obviously the PS3 has flatlined and will not go anywhere until SOFTWARE comes out for it. Ninja Gaiden won't do much it will have to wait until Lair, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword for the numbers to show any kind of improvement.

Xellos

speculawyer said:
Nintendo has truly grown the videogame business by attracting new buyers.

Nintendo deserves a hearty thanks for that.

Hopefully third party developers will eventually be able to tap into that market and make some decent sales on those Nintendo platforms. So far, they have not had much success. :-/

That's true, but so far they haven't really been trying. The best efforts third parties have given Wii are Rayman, Red Steel, Madden '07, Monkey Ball, and Trauma Center (all launch games). Three rushed launch titles, a PS2 port, and a DS remake. Still those games were tailored to the Wii's controller and they sold well. Rayman & Red Steel both sold over 1M (worldwide) while Monkey Ball & Madden are around 300-400k (NA), IIRC.

If third parties want their Wii games to sell they should put the same effort/talent/marketing into their Wii development as they do into their 360/PS3 development.

Grecco

I Know Nintendo is focusing on Wii/DS

but they are missing out on GBA sales imo. Its consistantly still selling. At the very least give us Mother 3 Plz.

Roat

Banned
Seems the 360 being below 200k is the norm now, when it was only a few months ago that it was a surprise that it dropped below it (this was put down to the elite's imminent release). I wish they'd drop the 3 SKU disaster plan - this was a bad idea over a year ago, and only just now have they released a third! Before the elite they should have just dropped the core system and taken the premium down to $299. Now, who knows.

mclem

DeaconKnowledge said:
So, can we call the war yet? Or do we have to sit through another 6 months of "Wait for X"?
Wait for E3.

No, don't get me wrong, I don't think Sony or Microsoft have anything they can pull out of the bag to turn it around. Nintendo has it...

Except they *do* kinda have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot.

If Nintendo do a competent E3 presentation, they'll have it. If they screw up when the world's eyes are on them, then Sony and MS have hope. Not much, I must stress that, but hope:

The market is now Nintendo's to lose.

Honestly another crappy Mario Party (68.8% on GameRankings.Com) and another blowout initial month, now tell me who is buying the Wii? Just like the GCN add Mario to a title and it sells like hotcakes. Then #2 is a remote with a packin crapin game.

speculawyer said:
I never got around to playing it last gen, so I'll probably be picking it up . . . especially at $29.99.

It's my only hope for Wii until this fall. Wii needs real games badly. Wii sports is getting boring.

Saitou

Banned
"Most of games for Nintendo platforms were the company's titles, compared with the Xbox 360, which had games from independent publishers break the charts," said Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Microsoft's Xbox 360.

"For the Xbox 360, we are seeing 65% of third-party sales come from third-party publishers, compared with 15% for the PS3 and 25% for the Wii," he said.

what

Grecco said:
I Know Nintendo is focusing on Wii/DS

but they are missing out on GBA sales imo. Its consistantly still selling. At the very least give us Mother 3 Plz.

I agree this should be a lesson for them with in the transitions from DS-to-DS2 and Wii-to-Wii2.

DeaconKnowledge said:
So, can we call the war yet? Or do we have to sit through another 6 months of "Wait for X"?

I'd say its still a pretty close battle, I mean sure the PS3 numbers look good this month, but the GBA could pull it back.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
360 dominating the software charts yet again.

Very nice work by Microsoft.

360 leading the next-gen decisively :D

686y4wi.gif

LOL at PS3 advocates happy about beating out a six-year-old platform that costs 50 bucks, isn't getting any new major releases, and should be well into Gamecube territory.

360 really needs a price cut. I have no doubt that MS wants to wait until H3 moves units in Sept/Oct, then only cut for November madness, but I seriously question that move given the current sales. Channel stuffing does cost money.

Wii breaks 3 million next month...which will be one month faster than the PS2 did it (which was also in June, but it launched in Oct).

titiklabingapat said:
So Wii third parties...where's the games?

Third parties to gamers . . . on store shelves. Please go buy some. PLEASE! :lol

(The message brought to you by Activision, Electronic Arts, Take-Two, THQ, Ubisoft, and Midway.)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Please MS, drop the price. For the good of the games and genres I enjoy, do not let this happen. If when I grow old the only kind of games available are games like Mario Party I will blast my brains with a shotgun.

Berserker

michaeld said:
Gawd I just pray Nin's domination doesn't change video games into what people get on the Wii or I will be done with gaming. I pray we have the choice of 360/PS3 style gaming and Nin gaming.
lol-2.jpg

Top Bottom