• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 117K
PlayStation 3 131K
PSP 100.4K
Xbox 360 175K
Wii 289.5K
Nintendo DS 633.5K

UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED (Xbox 360) 679.6K
Wii FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD (Wii) 352.8K
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE (Wii) 345.8K
UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED (PS3) 334.4K
INFAMOUS (PS3) 175.9K
POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION (NDS) 168.9K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL (Wii) 158.3K
PUNCH OUT!! (Wii) 156.9K
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED ED (Xbox 360) 120.7K
Wii PLAY W/ REMOTE (Wii) 109.8K

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

Anita Frazier said:
The video games industry continues to struggle with difficult comparisons to last year, and this is the first month that industry sales have dipped below $1B since August 2007. May is typically one of the lowest revenue-generating months in any given year for the industry in general.

Every category declined versus a year ago with the exception of portable hardware sales which was bolstered by the continued strong sales of the Nintendo DS including both the DSi and the Lite.

Unit sales declined less than dollar sales did. The dollar sales decline was exacerbated by a decline in average retail prices for almost all of the categories.

The DS was the top-selling hardware platform for the month. There is a lot of new DS content coming to market this month for a wide variety of gamers, so we should see strong hardware sales continue.

Two third-party titles had a strong showing in May. UFC Undisputed had a great launch selling over a million units across both platforms, while EA Sports Active Bundle, a Wii exclusive, made it into the top 5. There are more new releases in this month's top 10 list than we have seen for some time. As we mentioned last month, it's a great time to release new IP, illustrated by May's strong debuts of EA's Sports Active and Sony's InFAMOUS.

While there were some very strong new releases this month along with continued strong sales of evergreen games, this month's top 10 games sold 2.6 million units combined, whereas last year the top 10 sold 3.7 million units. Again this illustrates how tough the comparisons are to last year.

Looking ahead to June, there are some promising games coming out this month between Sims 3 (PC), Prototype, Red Faction, Virtua Tennis, Ghostbusters, Transformers and Tiger Woods just to name a few. At E3, it was notable how many games were targeted to the tween girl demographic, and this June will see a number of games introduced for girls as well. June comparisons are still likely to be tough, but the wide variety of new content could help reinvigorate things somewhat.

Tiger Woods titles are typically released in August or September. It will be interesting to watch how the title performs when it's not competing at retail with Madden, and with the impact of the Wii MotionPlus for the Wii version. Releasing it during the month when the U.S. Open (and consequently Tiger) is getting air time can't hurt either.

casofgaf11.gif

Salmonax

Not bad numbers for inFamous after just a week of release. Low numbers across the board for the consoles, though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What a bomba month. The way to fix the PSP problem is to release a more expensive model!!! Yeah!!!

Firestorm

I forgot this was today.

UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED THQ Xbox 360 679.6K
Wii FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 352.8K
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE ELECTRONIC ARTS Wii 345.8K
UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED THQ PS3 334.4K
INFAMOUS SONY PS3 175.9K
POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 168.9K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 158.3K
PUNCH OUT!! NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 156.9K
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED ED ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Xbox 360 120.7K
Wii PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 109.8K
I could've sworn there was some sort of bet involving these games + Fight Night.

FrankT

Off on the PS3 for me. Somewhat surprised it was able to maintain it's weekly numbers month over month. Although I was right on PS2 taking a serious drop. Everything else looks in order. PSP is slipping to be sure.

Y2Kev said:
What a bomba month. The way to fix the PSP problem is to release a more expensive model!!! Yeah!!!

Haha yea.

donny2112

PS2, you let me down! I guess you're really on your way out, now.

"And so passes a legend."

PS360 > Wii :lol

Wii Play might actually miss the Top 10 next month after almost 2 and a half years. :lol

Glad to see Punch-Out! doing well and not sharing EXCITEbots fate. :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
methane47 said:
crap numbers for infamous.. i was hoping for more..

and NICE job UFC they really deserved the sales.

Infamous was only out for like 6 days. I'm sure the buzz has been keeping sales up... I keep hearing more people on boards outside the industry talking about it and picking it up

d+pad

nincompoop said:
Wii price drop incoming?

With Wii Sports Resort dropping next month and Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii coming in the fall and winter, I wouldn't count on it.

I wonder if they'll release the black system here along with NSMB Wii, though?

Top Bottom