• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 5/2/10 - 5/29/10

PlayStation 3 154.5K
PSP 59.4K
Xbox 360 194.6K
Wii 334.8K
Nintendo DS 383.7K

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 945.9K
RED DEAD REDEMPTION PS3 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE May-10 567.1K
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-10 563.9K
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED 360 THQ May-10 221.1K
UFC 2010: UNDISPUTED PS3 THQ May-10 192.3K
WII FIT PLUS W/BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09
ALAN WAKE * 360 MICROSOFT May-10
POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10
SKATE 3 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS May-10

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

Anita Frazier said:
Overall

"Although down this month, May sales reflect the third best-selling May on record after May '08 and May '09."

"The 360 platform, across hardware, software, and accessories, contributed the greatest share of revenue to industry sales for the month, and year-to-date."

"The PS3 platform has enjoyed the greatest percentage growth, with platform sales across hardware, software, and accessories up 32% for the month, and 28% year-to-date."

Hardware

"The portable hardware category contributed the most to the decline in hardware sales for the month, yet the NDS is the best-selling hardware system for May."

"Console hardware unit sales are, in fact, flat to last year. Declines in sales result from a lower average selling price this year compared to last."

"Compared to April, both the PS3 and the 360 platforms realized a unit sales increase in hardware."

Software

"Red Dead Redemption was the best-selling game for the month, achieving sales of 1.5 million units across both platforms. The game garnered spectacular review scores and in its first month at retail it has exceeded the lifetime sales of its predecessor, Red Dead Revolver, which was released in May 2004."

"May was the 10th consecutive month of year-over-year software sales increases for the PS3 platform. Combined with the hardware and accessories sales increases for the platform, the PS3 has really hit its stride."

"In May, 8 of the top 10 SKU's for the month were new releases, which was the case with March 2010 as well. When more of the top selling games are new releases, it pushes up the average selling price for software overall, positively contributing to total revenues."

"We have started to measure the consumer spend outside the physical new retail channel. During E3, NPD reported that in 2009, there was an additional consumer spend in the range of $4.5 to $4.75 billion on games content via these other vehicles including used, rental, subscriptions and digitally-delivered content. Our Games Acquisition Monitor and other consumer tracking services will continue to provide clients insight into these other avenues of consumer spend on games content. Moving forward, we plan to release a limited amount of this information into the public domain, either quarterly or semi-annually."

"Another measure of the increasing importance of the digital world is reflected in the percent of sales comprised by online capable games. For May year-to-date, 43% of total software units sold were online capable, as compared to 37% for the same time frame last year."

Accessories

"For the third consecutive month, the top-selling accessory item for the month is the Xbox Live 1600 point card. Video game points and subscriptions cards unit sales are up 12% on a year-to-date basis as compared to the same time period in 2009."

CoolTrick

Banned
yawn.jpg

bunny-yawn.jpg

yawn17.jpg

yawn4.jpg

Cat_Yawn.jpg

Nintendo #s -- not too far ahead of everyone else.

So basically it's just a slow boring month. Yawn.

Only thing interesting: SMG2's nice sales.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well Skate's a dead franchise. Blur....hmph. And S/S is Blackrock's second attempt, no? I bought it for 19.99 I think at gamestop the other day :lol

PSP STEP YO GAME UP

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Glad to see RDR on top.

I want to see AW's numbers but at least it made the top 10, I feared worse.
Then again it must be sub 190K, deserves way better.
Aside from RDR, it was a pretty boring month.

Parham

Banned
Here are some of the titles released in May that did not chart in the top ten:

Iron Man 2
Lost Planet 2
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Split/Second
Backbreaker
Blur
ModNation Racers

Disappointing Alan Wake numbers...

But that's what you get for not having multiplayer these days :(

Too bad a PC version can't help boost numbers!

Great numbers for RDR and Galaxy 2, the two best games so far this year for me :D

Mad_Ban

Interesting numbers all around, and it seems there were a lot of high profile bombs. :/

Gonna wait in hope for other numbers from other sites.

[Nintex]

"We are recession proof!"

"Read Dead Redemption sold shipped 5 million units!"

"You can feel the Playstation momentum everywhere!"

"This is the biggest year for Xbox yet!"

FrankT

Again, weak ass SW outside the top 3, which is not healthy sign at all. No LP2 as I figured as well. I would have liked to see AW higher, but I figured it came in pretty low on the chart as well.

Oh yea and Rockstar has to be pretty happy about RDR sales.

Mindlog

Odd numbers after a "research update" -_-

Who pays for this stuff!?!?!?!?!!
:mockindignationsmug:
:stepyogameup:

This concrete proof that no games should be released outside the holiday sales window.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
azentium said:
Here are some of the titles released in May that did not chart in the top ten:

Iron Man 2
Lost Planet 2
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Split/Second
Backbreaker
Blur
ModNation Racers
Everything bombed.

Pretty shitty month for SW.

Mrbob

Ouch at Alan Wake. I guess not as many comfy couches were required? Quadruply ouch at PSP, so pathetic those numbers are. Drop your price Sony!

No Lost Planet 2 in the top 10 either. Skate 3 barely makes it on one platform, bye bye franchise?

Wow outside of the top 3 the software numbers suck.

Like I said in the other thread Alan Wake is not a massive, massive Jonah Hex style bomb more A-Team style, but it's a bit disappointing.

But :( at Split/Second. Blackrock makes such awesome games, I hope they keep it up. To be fair though, I see a game like that having a relatively long life at 29 and 39 dollar price points or so.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
UFC 2010 looks like a case of "no thanks i'm good with 2009"

But :( at Split/Second. Blackrock makes such awesome games, I hope they keep it up. To be fair though, I see a game like that having a relatively long life at 29 and 39 dollar price points or so.

This is really their second bomb. Maybe I'll get debated on "bomb."

Red Dead's kinda boring. I still haven't finished it yet.....maybe I'm just bored of open world games for a little while.

So...Alpha Protocol flopped then? That's a shame.

VALIS

Pre-slim, pre-price drop 360 outselling the PS3 by ~25%. This forum is going to fucking freak the rest of this year when it's outselling the PS3 1.5:1

Aren't those really low Super Mario Galaxy numbers, or were my expectations just wrong? I was guessing > 1 million...lol.

gerg

MirageDwarf said:
Alan Wake making it in top 10 is surprising. Most of us thought it bombed real hard.

In all likelihood it sold less than 150k copies. Make of that what you will.

Kusagari

MirageDwarf said:
Alan Wake making it in top 10 is surprising. Most of us thought it bombed real hard.

Based on those figures it could barely be above 100k or even below it. I really doubt it will have much semblance of legs either so it basically did 'bomb'.

Thanks for posting the info!

Just wanted to make a point from the old tread:

burgerdog said:
Alan Wake is probably around 80-120k, dang that's not good at all. Five years in the making and this is all they could do?
That is such a stupid thing to say, first off NPD is not the end all be all of data, its only 60% of RETAIL sales in the USA, and their is something that is called the WORLD they sell video games there to.
Second AW took 6 years with 30 people, I'll bet this game will to just fine over time.
I do think that it could have done a lot better if RDR did not came out in the same month.
Timeing is everything these days!

Top Bottom