• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

I would say the industry has saturated the hardware market at these prices and needs to move them down.

On the other hand, I'm not in the market for any hardware so go on and raise the prices, if you would. Maximum hilarity for July.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Everyone expected Uncharted 2 to kill it and it started off less than 600k. Should do well but its the kind of thing I would expect a nice tail and not blockerbuster first numbers.

Well I would say that 600k for new IP this late in the gen would actually be pretty great. In UK it already started higher than Uncharted 2.

Pranay

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Everyone expected Uncharted 2 to kill it and it started off less than 600k. Should do well but its the kind of thing I would expect a nice tail and not blockerbuster first numbers.

it has been their as 1 game for 2 months in amazon and best buy. not the right measure but zombie games do well.

Kinda worried about next month TLOU sales now :(

Should do well. Has been sold out at lot of places. Software has been good this year apart from this month.

Also it did well in uk

:(

No numbers from Nintendo?

That would force them to release Wii U numbers and there is no way in hell they are doing that with the console potentially below 30k

Well I would say that 600k for new IP this late in the gen would actually be pretty great. In UK it already started higher than Uncharted 2.

Yeah for sure, I just would temper expectations for anyone expecting close to a million

liger05

So PS3 below 100k? Vita and Wii U below 30k?

That would force them to release Wii U numbers and there is no way in hell they are doing that with the console potentially below 30k

Makes sense, forgot that they would have to release wii u numbers as well.

In the individual format charts, it's DKCR 2nd and Luigi 3rd, with presumably Injustice 360 in the top spot.

Good results for the 3DS. It's finally hitting worldwide momentum.

Good on Injustice, deserves the sales. NPD looks very depressing though, need a price drop for the HD twins stat. Sort of amazing how price resilient both have been.

Mileena

Banned
I think we know now why Retro's game is a new DKC.

And I'm okay with that.

You really think those numbers are good?

I really doubt Injustice did too well on it's second month at #1, I can't see those DK numbers being anything good at all.

Microsoft PR:

jvm said:
In May, Xbox 360 sold 114,000 units, more than any other console in the U.S. May marked the 29th consecutive month that Xbox 360 was the best-selling console in the U.S.

May 2013 NPD highlights:
· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in May (hardware, software and accessories) reached $149.8 million, the most for any console in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, May2013)
· During the month of May, Xbox 360 held seven of the top 10 console game titles including: “Dead Island: Riptide,” “Injustice: Gods Among Us,” “Metro: Last Light,” NBA 2K13,” Call of Duty: Black Ops II,” “BioShock Infinite” and “Halo 4.” (Source: NPD Group, May2013)

On May 21, Microsoft introduced the world to Xbox One. Last week at E3, Xbox One showcased a new generation of gaming with exclusive titles like “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Killer Instinct,” “Dead Rising 3” and more. In addition, Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer, Yusuf Mehdi, introduced the new Xbox 360 on the Xbox stage, which sports a sleek and stylish design that aligns with the new Xbox One family and will continue to drive Xbox 360 sales.

The E3 Xbox briefing drove consumer excitement for Xbox One, which has seen impressive pre-order sales; Amazon sold through most of their day one inventory in the first four hours of availability. To reserve your Xbox One system today, and for the full list of launch countries and prices, visit http://www.xbox.com for participating retailers.

We look forward to sharing further details on Xbox One in the coming months. Please check out Xbox Wire for the latest Xbox One and Xbox 360 news.

Wonder how bad Fuse did.

It didnt even chart in the UK top 40 when it was released I think. Maybe it dropped off the week after. It didnt do well in the UK anyway.

donny2112

Surprised 3DS actually went up YOY this month. Was expecting some depressed sales with Animal Crossing 3DSXL and the game coming a week into June's NPD period.

MechaX

...? We do this thread every month.

For the last year, Nirolak has mostly been the one posting the actual NPD threads (even though Evilore was the one who did it the most classically). At least, that is what I'm guessing the poster is meaning.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh my lord at those Xbox 360 console sales

I don't even want to glance at Vita and Wii U. Must be like stabbing oneself in the eye

You really think those numbers are good?

I really doubt Injustice did too well on it's second month at #1, I can't see those DK numbers being anything good at all.

They show good resilience for a 3DS port of a game that came out two and a half years ago, though.

I think we know now why Retro's game is a new DKC.

And I'm okay with that.

We all knew why they made DKCR. That's not why people were disappointed. DKCR also seems more of the type of game just like NSMBU that benefits from a system already doing well and not a huge system seller itself.

Boke1879

Those software sales... :-/.
God, I hope next-gen really revitalises things.. worldwide.

I'm sure it will. This console cycle HAS gone on way too long. Not mention I still think the prices of both the 360 and PS3 are still way too high at this stage of the game.

donny2112

Wonder how much Donkey Kong Country's $35 price tag helped sales. Hopefully enough for NOA to take notice and make that the default 1st-party price going forward. Would just be a $5 increase over the DS default price, then, instead of the $10 increase it had been.

RobbieNick

Wow on the 3DS software sales. Also, the big push back up on Lego Batman 2 was likely because it hit the Wii U in May.

I'm glad RE bombed. Releasing a marginally improved game and charging $50 for it is lunacy.

Lower price (34.99 instead of 39.99) is probably helping. And it'll help Animal Crossing a lot.

To an extent. I don't think AC will be number one next month though. We won't get the full picture until Nintendo gives us digital sales, which I think will likely happen.

Top Bottom