• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

SeanR1221

They must be satisfied with the sales, or something. I don't think there strategy makes sense, but famousmortimer has said they're satisfied with software sales.

I think they should have a price drop, drop the price of the memory cards (or keep the price the same and make a 64gb Vita) and really play up the remote play features.

I don't think the vita will ever have 3ds numbers but if they can find that niche (seriously, every ps4 game will have remote play, that's awesome) then they could be ok.

iammeiam

OK, wait, I still don't understand the Japanese numbers. Nintendo's PR said:

Nintendo 3DS also had two of the top three best-selling software SKUs for the month, with Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D at No. 2 and Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon at No. 3.

DKCR3D as a single SKU outsold Luigi, per Nintendo. So... uh... what? Are they confused by NPD too?

I think they should have a price drop, drop the price of the memory cards (or keep the price the same and make a 64gb Vita) and really play up the remote play features.

I don't think the vita will ever have 3ds numbers but if they can find that niche (seriously, every ps4 game will have remote play, that's awesome) then they could be ok.

Entry level for that niche is over $700 (PS4+Vita+game), that's going to be an extremely small niche

Mileena

Banned
Vita < 16k

bububu indie games, sure thing Sony
kyOZCrL.gif

jvm

Gamasutra.
So are we going with this?

Nintendo 3DS = 114K
Xbox 360 = 114K
PS3 = 84K
Wii U = 36K
Wii = 36K
NDS = 34K
PSV = 15K
PSP = 4K

Did I mess anything up?

DaBoss

2ch guy again this month, good.
Wii U is lower actually. PS3 is better, round issue.

Wait, you didn't say anything about the Vita...........................

Is it actually below 10K?

RE:R and Fuse numbers please.

Nintendo 3DS = 114K
Xbox 360 = 114K
PS3 = 84K
Wii U = 36K
Wii = 36K
NDS = 34K
PSV = 15K
PSP = 4K

Did I mess anything up?

creamsugar said that Wii U is lower and PS3 is higher, so it isn't clear as to how much.

Tobor

Really? At most of the retailers I visit in NYC, it has at least one set of shelves to itself. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, or at retailers like Wal-Mart that don't exist here.

At Best Buy and Target it's the bare minimum. You can't have any less space and still exist.

It's a failure as a retail platform, but there are other avenues. I'd argue Sony might as well keep it around. Retailers could cut the games out entirely and Sony could just convert it to an all indie digital(which is happening anyway). They can also push the PS4 remote play angle.

Busaiku

How are the Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon numbers accurate?
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D placed higher in the individual SKUs.

AniHawk

Nintendo 3DS = 114K
Xbox 360 = 114K
PS3 = 84K
Wii U = 36K
Wii = 36K
NDS = 34K
PSV = 15K
PSP = 4K

Did I mess anything up?

creamsugar says wii u and ps3 are off at least.

wii u might be better at 32k. ps3 better at 90k? not sure what he means by round issue- like wii u is closer to 35k than 36k or the ps3 is closer to 85k than 84k. i don't know. i just don't know.

Because there's no market interest in the Vita, and they'd rather not lose money on the things. The thing is dead.

There's no market interest because there are no games. If they wanted sales, they would get their big IPs on the system. IPs like GoW and GT.

Also, if they'd rather not lose money on the system, why did they just announce Freedom Wars? Surely, development of new Vita games would have stopped by now if they planned to drop the system.

At Best Buy and Target it's the bare minimum. You can't have any less space and still exist.

It's a failure as a retail platform, but there are other avenues. I'd argue Sony might as well keep it around. Retailers could cut the games out entirely and Sony could just convert it to an all indie digital(which is happening anyway). They can also push the PS4 remote play angle.
What's the incentive for retailers to keep stocking the hardware though? Not a big margin on that.

DaBoss

OK, wait, I still don't understand the Japanese numbers. Nintendo's PR said:

DKCR3D as a single SKU outsold Luigi, per Nintendo. So... uh... what? Are they confused by NPD too?

Yea, you're right. I guess that person was off a bit?

I forgot that they are including the Wii SKU. So about 5k sold two and a half years after release? Really good legs.

It may have made the difference, but iammeiam just said that Nintendo said DKCR3D outsold LM:DM as a single SKU, so it is a bit confusing.

There's no market interest because there are no games. If they wanted sales, they would get their big IPs on the system. IPs like GoW and GT.
What does the fact that these titles haven't been announced or hinted at tell you?

Also, if they'd rather not lose money on the system, why did they just announce Freedom Wars? Surely, development of new Vita games would have stopped by now if they planned to drop the system.
A title such as that may get some Japanese niche or similar, but that's it.

Reallink

It wouldn't increase sales. They would literally be throwing money away. The system's toast. The writing is on the wall and Sony can see it.

Hopefully Vita off screen play didn't factor into their decision not to include the PS4 Eye or push for an enhanced Move. That would really be a shame if they're indeed just looking to let it die.

Top Bottom