• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

suaveric

Far from it and they know this. They have mentioned more than enough times that sales in the West must improve.

Nintendo knows this, but for some reason the perception around GAF and elsewhere around the net is that 3DS has been tearing it up since the price drop, MK7 and 3D Land. That's just not the case.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Superbot?At least Insomniac's future is still somewhat stable with Microsoft funding their next title.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he means Superbot, who certainly have had massive layoffs. I'm not sure that Sanzaru can even have massive layoffs, since they're a pretty small team (around 60 guys and gals).

Nooo I mean Sanzaru.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=501518

We definitely had a thread on this. They had layoffs before the game came out I think.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm sad about Sanzaru. They have a lot of talent. They could probably make ratchet now that inbombniac has other plans.

Or a new 3d precision platformer called Kevdreamgame.

Calamari41

41 > 38
so right now the wii u is a console for hardcore Nintendo fans who cant live without mario & co.

Nintendo needs an exit plan... the sales will drop even more when Xbone/PS4 are available.

I think that the more accurate description, and the one which explains the abysmal sales, is that the Wii U is a console for hardcore Nintendo fans who can't live without New Super Mario Bros U specifically. The attach rate of that game bears this out big time. It remains to be seen if more people will buy it when more than literally one "major" game exists on the platform.

3DS has been down YOY for almost a year now, maybe longer, hasn't it? People like to mention in Wii U threads that Nintendo can turn that around "just like they did with the 3DS" but I think that's actually not the case. The 3DS has had a really good game line up since last fall, but the sales of the actual hardware have been horrendous since then.

The truth of the matter is that outside of Japan, 3DS is still doing extremely poor compared to the DS. Nintendo hasn't saved that system yet.

True enough.

Let's not pretend it had a blockbuster lineup last holiday, though. After NSMB2, it had Paper Mario... and that was about it. It's had some B-Tier software that has sold nicely at the start of the year, but it's only with Animal Crossing that they've had a proven system seller since at least NSMB2 or possibly even Mario Kart.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS has been down YOY for almost a year now, maybe longer, hasn't it? People like to mention in Wii U threads that Nintendo can turn that around "just like they did with the 3DS" but I think that's actually not the case. The 3DS has had a really good game line up since last fall, but the sales of the actual hardware have been horrendous since then.

The truth of the matter is that outside of Japan, 3DS is still doing extremely poor compared to the DS. Nintendo hasn't saved that system yet.

It's certainly doing much lower numbers than DS, but it's also true that DS has been a phenomenon on its own, pretty difficult to replicate. But still, it's true that it must sell more in the West, especially in the non-Holiday season. It seems it's starting happening in Europe (Nintendo graphs have showed quite a big increase in sales share from Jan-March to April, and even more in May, when it tied with PS3 basically, despite no killer applications being released), and it'll be much more evident now that Animal Crossing has been released. The same goes for US. And this is not even counting the lineup for the next months, with Pokémon in October. However...

True enough.

Let's not pretend it had a blockbuster lineup last holiday, though. After NSMB2, it had Paper Mario... and that was about it. It's had some B-Tier software that has sold nicely at the start of the year, but it's only with Animal Crossing that they've had a proven system seller since at least NSMB2 or possibly even Mario Kart.

...this. After NSMB2, 3DS had only Paper Mario as Holiday release. On top of that, NoA forgot to release attractive bundles during Black Friday, and it resulted in horrible BF numbers.

Nooo I mean Sanzaru.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=501518

We definitely had a thread on this. They had layoffs before the game came out I think.
That's unfortunate.

Hopefully - not sure if that's the right word - it was essentially the downscaling of outsourcers/fixed term hires that were brought on for Sly 4, and the main body of the studio is still healthy enough.

Sly did okay from what I recall, considering it's a smaller title in the grand scheme, and I would be keen on another to continue the story.

Busaiku

I definitely think that a good Holiday lineup cannot be understated.
However, it looks like Nintendo realizes that, and has possibly their strongest besides 2011.

They should probably try for a Q4 release for Super Smash Bros next year as well.

BuzzJive

The 3DS still hasn't hit the $129 price that the DS Lite launched at. It may not be lighting up the charts, but it's selling pretty well all things considered and will likely have a massive holiday if they do manage to hit a more mass market price. Combined with Pokemon, beast mode is just a few months off.

As for Wii U, I'm not as optimistic right now. Sales won't be picking up much before the holidays, at which point I do expect some aggressive pricing and bundling. I'm not seeing quite the same strategy as they used with the 3DS really, at least not as strong yet.

point is, they manufacture and sell low volume consumer electronic items alongside their more popular stuff. This isn't apple we're talking about here.

That cassette player utilises absolutely withered technology, and retails for $200 less than Vita. Let's not pretend they're even remotely comparable.

point is, they manufacture and sell low volume consumer electronic items alongside their more popular stuff. This isn't apple we're talking about here.

While I don't claim to know exactly how much (or little) Sony is currently losing on each unit, Vita was clearly not conceived or designed as a low-volume product. The official sales goal when it was first unveiled was for it to at least reach PSP's LTD (it'd be lucky to reach a fifth of that, even were it to remain in production for another four years), and we all know about the 10M shipment projection for the last FY.

QaaQer

That cassette player utilises absolutely withered technology, and retails for $200 less than Vita. Let's not pretend they're even remotely comparable.

I'm not pretending. It demonstrate the fact that Sony is OK making and selling low volume items if they are profitable.

While I don't claim to know exactly how much (or little) Sony is currently losing on each unit, Vita was clearly not conceived or designed as a low-volume product. The official sales goal when it was first unveiled was for it to at least reach PSP's LTD (it'd be lucky to reach a fifth of that, even were it to remain in production for another four years), and we all know about the 10M shipment projection for the last FY.

and?

My POV, is that they are making lemonade out of lemons. You think they are just going to throw the lemons in the trash?

C'mon new consoles . . . save us!

npd_large.PNG

Source: EA Investor Presentation at E3, 2013

sense

You must think Nintendo is perfectly happy with Wii U's sales, since they haven't taken any drastic action, either.

"Panic mode" requires actually having a panic button to push, ya know.

they already pushed it for the 3ds. they can't afford to make it a habit then people would totally stop buying their hardware at launch if they do big price drops 6 months in. it doesn't matter anyway because they are facing an uphill battle and it remains to be seen if their staple of ips can still revive them come the holiday season with 3rd party support non existent and not having the cushion of install base like they did with the wii. they are going to massively underwhelm when compared to wii. vita still has people buying games for it and games announced albeit small indies, ports, remasters or whatever which tells me they see a market with potential of making some money atleast. big publishers need to see more so they are not bothering with providing exclusive support for vita but they are atleast pushing out ports and what not. systems may not be moving well for sony but some form of software is there and more keep getting announced and i don't see why there would be this push for getting more support if they planned on discontinuing it next year like you say.

liger05

this. After NSMB2, 3DS had only Paper Mario as Holiday release. On top of that, NoA forgot to release attractive bundles during Black Friday, and it resulted in horrible BF numbers.

That was shocking. It was like they gave up on the holidays.

RM8

3DS is still doing extremely poor compared to the DS. Nintendo hasn't saved that system yet.
So did GBA and pretty much any other handheld. DS is the second best selling gaming system ever released, 3DS is -really- not going to approach those numbers.

C'mon new consoles . . . save us!

npd_large.PNG

Source: EA Investor Presentation at E3, 2013
Considering how much of the growth from 07-09 was due to the DS/Wii, it's going to be a rough few years unless the PS4 takes off as well as most of GAF thinks it will. Between a middling economy and more entertainment choices, the crow-eating a year from now will be grand, methinks.

I wonder if this is a sign of a permanent slump for the industry down to pre-Wii/DS numbers. The hardware sales are pretty mindboggling, considering how cheap the Xbox 360 and PS3 are and that 3DS and Wii U are pretty new.

Petrae

I wonder if this is a sign of a permanent slump for the industry down to pre-Wii/DS numbers. The hardware sales are pretty mindboggling, considering how cheap the Xbox 360 and PS3 are and that 3DS and Wii U are pretty new.

Cheap where? X360 is nearly 8 years old and PS3 is closing in on 7 years old, and both are still over $200 with no price cuts in sight. Combine those high costs with a lack of compelling software for the last two months, and there's really no reason for anyone to buy. The Wii U has few games and almost zero marketing and the 3DS is trying to hold its own in an increasingly mobile-influenced market.

I don't know if the market correction this gen takes us all the way back down to 128-bit generation numbers, but I'm almost certain that the unit sales we saw last gen are unattainable. The boom is over, and a more realistic sales pattern will be seen.

suaveric

So did GBA and pretty much any other handheld. DS is the second best selling gaming system ever released, 3DS is -really- not going to approach those numbers.

I'm not talking about exceeding DS sales, I'm talking about year over year with its own sales. I'm fairly certain the 3DS has been down YOY for over a year now. That is extremely bad. The story that 3DS sales turned around in the US is a myth.

FoneBone

I'm not talking about exceeding DS sales, I'm talking about year over year with its own sales. I'm fairly certain the 3DS has been down YOY for over a year now. That is extremely bad. The story that 3DS sales turned around in the US is a myth.

Yeah. Though as already said, those YoY declines are pretty much guaranteed to reverse later this year, at least (maybe in June with Animal Crossing, too).

What?

I'm reasonably certain that the year on year losses stretch back to September, at the most. Where the hell do you get over a year from?

This is ignoring the impact of the software lineup, of course. 3DS software is up YOY 60%.

suaveric

What?

I'm reasonably certain that the year on year losses stretch back to September, at the most. Where the hell do you get over a year from?

This is ignoring the impact of the software lineup, of course. 3DS software is up YOY 60%.

Ok, I could be wrong about the exact number of months it's been down YOY, but the overall point still stands. The 3DS hasn't become some huge success like everyone seems to think. Sales trending down in the second and third years it's on the market is not a good sign for any system. The 3DS, at least in the NA market, has not been turned around.

Maybe Pokemon will finally do it.

Looking back over the past generation or even looking at the GBA 3DS hardware sales are terrible in the US right now. Even with Animal Crossing giving its boost in June it will look mediocre in comparison. 3DS needs a price drop and new bundles. Just throw in Nintendogs, Steel Diver, and Pilotwings all free digitally and price the OG and 129 and I bet it would sell decently. Nintendo needs to learn about the current valuation of at least some of there games is not nearly as large as they think
As for Vita, even if Gamestop carries a couple under the floorboards , it's about as irrelevant to the market as some random android smartphone at this point.

codhand

I'm really glad Dead Island 2 was able to rise above the shitty reviews. It is a fun game, and makes no bones about it.

Also Metro, yay. Was my GOTY until I played Last of Us.

Ok, I could be wrong about the exact number of months it's been down YOY, but the overall point still stands. The 3DS hasn't become some huge success like everyone seems to think. Sales trending down in the second and third years it's on the market is not a good sign for any system. The 3DS, at least in the NA market, has not been turned around.

Maybe Pokemon will finally do it.

I think the combo of Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda and the tide of other Nintendo IPs would spur it on, yeah. There's no doubting it's been lacking momentum for a good long while.

I think momentum has got to be the watchword, for Wii U and 3DS. Just having spikes at the holidays and a wasteland in between is not healthy, for either console.

Mr Swine

Banned
I have a hard time seeing the PS4 and Xbone reviving the market as its slowly dying off. I also have a hard time swing people buy new consoles that are really expensive, if Wii U can't sell at the price it's at then I think the 2 others will have similar problems too

Majmun

I have a hard time seeing the PS4 and Xbone reviving the market as its slowly dying off. I also have a hard time swing people buy new consoles that are really expensive, if Wii U can't sell at the price it's at then I think the 2 others will have similar problems too

Wii U's problem isn't just the price...

Hero

Looking back over the past generation or even looking at the GBA 3DS hardware sales are terrible in the US right now. Even with Animal Crossing giving its boost in June it will look mediocre in comparison. 3DS needs a price drop and new bundles. Just throw in Nintendogs, Steel Diver, and Pilotwings all free digitally and price the OG and 129 and I bet it would sell decently. Nintendo needs to learn about the current valuation of at least some of there games is not nearly as large as they think
As for Vita, even if Gamestop carries a couple under the floorboards , it's about as irrelevant to the market as some random android smartphone at this point.

The 3DS original model desperately needs a price cut. I think 129.99 would be offer a big boost to the system to grab that part of the market that is more price sensitive. Games coming down to 34.99 might help out too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think the combo of Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda and the tide of other Nintendo IPs would spur it on, yeah. There's no doubting it's been lacking momentum for a good long while.

I think momentum has got to be the watchword, for Wii U and 3DS. Just having spikes at the holidays and a wasteland in between is not healthy, for either console.

Yes, they are the titles to watch closely, for their possible impact on hardware sales. Animal Crossing is already doing its job, as said many times, and we'll see its impact in June for sure. But it needs to be seen in July too: then, we can start say 3DS is having a good momentum. Right now, we can only say it's seeing an upward momentum in Europe quite surely, not in US (despite some little good signs in the last months, especially software wise).

AOC83

Banned

The market doesn´t die off. It´s a miracle that old ass consoles sold as well as they did for that huge amount of time.

AniHawk

The 3DS original model desperately needs a price cut. I think 129.99 would be offer a big boost to the system to grab that part of the market that is more price sensitive. Games coming down to 34.99 might help out too.

i think this could be a solution next year. this year, i feel they're focused hard on profitability. they probably don't want to drop the price with pokemon, zelda, and yoshi right around the corner. next year only has smash bros. though.

Top Bottom