• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've heard rumors that Fuse was somewhere in that ballpark. So I'm going to believe this.

Still incredibly sad. :-(

It's a middling game with a focus tested generic look. I'm just glad Insomniac has some stability with Microsoft because this gen has been all over the place for them.

So what's the general consensus, is this due to the prolonged generation or is this drop more indicative of a wider problem in the gaming market?

What if the PS4 and One fail to turn the tide after the launch frenzy dies down?
jvm has a good article that encapsulates the situation well:
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1925...w_consoles_but_oldgen_surprisingly_viable.php
Yeah I was being pretty generous. April March have both been in the 30ks for Wii U. It's probably closer to 110k a month worldwide.
I think you're still being generous.

At 33K in the US and 25K in Japan in May. It's probably less than 100K/month.

The Wii is the same price as the Vita and 3DS XL in Japan and only 5k yen less than the basic Wii U. Prices are horrendous across the board and I don't want to hear the inflation excuse again

Sony, MS, and Nintendo have had the "we're the only game in town" attitude for so long it has actually hurt the industry. No one has flinched on price because they had no competition besides each other. That has obviously changed. They can't be content with simply squeezing out small hardware profits at the expense of everyone else trying to sell software.

CrisKre

There's also Mario Golf, Smash Bros, and probably something from HAL. Layton 6 is being published by Nintendo as well.
Bravely Default in us. I predict we will see some Nintendo published 3rd party games. Monster hunter 4 could be a possibility.

If i am not wrong Soul Sacrifice actually did better than EO4 or Soul Hackers on 3DS. I remember that Creamsugar had posted the numbers for these games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Still an atrocity EOIV sold that paltry amount.

Game shits on a lot of games released this year ffs.

For a niche game available for just 5 days (February NPD), it isn't a bad number at all.

Foshy

It did better than those games but SS should have done a lot better than it ended up doing.
Well, if we look at worldwide numbers (>200k in Japan, 43k in US, Europe?) it's certainly over 250k, probably 300k with digital sales. Doesn't sound too shabby and should definitely be profitable, even if they might have expected more.

Sandfox

Well, if we look at worldwide numbers (>200k in Japan, 43k in US, Europe?) it's certainly over 250k, probably 300k with digital sales. Doesn't sound too shabby and should definitely be profitable, even if they might have expected more.

The problem is that it was supposed to be Sony's big Vita game to help turn things around and compete with MH.

The problem is that it was supposed to be Sony's big Vita game to help turn things around and compete with MH.
But it was too dark and gritty and certainly wasn't a monster hunter killer as they touted it. So it was a hard sell anyways. It was top downloaded game on the PSN charts so it did good enough for Sony, i guess.

But i will interested in the other big exclusives like Tearaway and Killzone: Mercenaries, which are more suited to the mainstream audiences.

Madouu

the step beyond traditional gaming will probably be virtual reality somehow. nintendo's been experimenting with that for years. even after the virtual boy they had the wii remote, the wii fit board, and the 3ds's augmented reality stuff. i would be surprised if it's something they're not seriously considering and experimenting with behind the scenes.

I wonder if their R&D is efficient enough to have some kind of oculus rift like powered console ready for the next generation. Shikamaru Ninja would probably say no.

The market is almost always fair. Fuse is the most generic thing they could think. It´s like they are not even trying.

Who OK´d this?

Sometimes you see people crying over games not selling, but after you play them, you usually understand why it was such a bad seller. I remember feeling sorry for Playstation All Stars and them i played the game.

Bomba justified.

Same with Fuse, same with Grid 2. Who asked for Grid 2? What was the market for it? None!

With all this low sales period now, and we will have a bunch of games sent to die in the holidays. Beyond Two Sould, for instance, will be a great game and a huge bomba, should have been a 2012 title when Sony had nothing in first party, but instead is clogging up 4th quarter which is already full of blockbuster titles.

With the estimates we have (X360, 3DS ~115k each, everything else below, total HW sales probably below 500k?) does anybody have a guess when hardware sales were lower the last time? It's seems like these are incredibly bad numbers overall. May isn't exactly known as the best month for HW sales, no doubt, but still for example I just looked up May 2011 and it's like night and day. 360 and Wii combined were over 500k.

Can someone be kind enough to share the sales aproximate for consoles. Thread is a bit big. That is of course if people managed to deduce something or if the generous insiders shared some aproximates.

Thanks in advance.

Who asked for Grid 2? What was the market for it? None!

Wait back up there for a second. A lot of people wanted Grid 2 to happen. The first game was really good but after that Codemasters got entrenched with the Dirt series and F1 games. What you can reasonably argue however is that no one asked for Grid 2 eventually turned out to be (significantly easier, lower focus on track racing, no cockpit mode etc.)

Also is it just me or have figures dried up in the last 2-3 months? Usually the OP would get updated 5-6 times with more information but it seems now that no one is talking about the numbers anymore.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Considering how this thread has been revived recently, I'd love to see creamsugar giving us new infos on 3DS, Wii U, Vita software sales, as well as titles like Ninokuni, Tomb Raider.

But it doesn't play KH BBS...

Yes it does :3

Gonna start a new game in fact soon on BBS FM. Just bought a PSP GO. Now just need to get Danganronpa too.

Fuckin Vita can't have patched games. Damn you Sorny! Then again if even vanilla BBS was available on PSN I would perhaps forgive them.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/stock/meeting/130627qa/img/slide04_l.jpg

Using 114k for Xbox 360 as a basis:

3DS: 115k
PS3: 85k
Wii: 36k
Wii U: 34k
DS: 34k
Vita: 16k
PSP: 4k
Are this legit? Well more or less i mean.

Vita 16K, almost dreamlike to see such a nice system get this sales even with some decent game released. Wii outselling Wii U. How much would i've liked to see Nintendo giving strong support to the system for 2 more years instead of dropping it post 2010. Wonder how that would have changed things.

kswiston

Are this legit? Well more or less i mean.

Vita 16K, almost dreamlike to see such a nice system get this sales even with some decent game released. Wii outselling Wii U. How much would i've liked to see Nintendo giving strong support to the system for 2 more years instead of dropping it post 2010. Wonder how that would have changed things.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, PS Vita (and maybe even PSP) outsold the Wii U worldwide in May. That's nuts.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, NSMBU is no system seller ;)? I actually think this number is rather strange, considering Sonic Kart 2 shipped 310k and was only released in the US and PAL land - where it was more expensive than all the other versions.

So, NSMBU is no system seller ;)? I actually think this number is rather strange, considering Sonic Kart 2 shipped 310k and was only released in the US and PAL land - where it was more expensive than all the other versions.

On the contrary -- Considering the attach rate, I'd say NSMBU was a system seller, just not to as many people as Nintendo would've hoped. But the majority of people who bought the system bought it for that game, at least in part.

Top Bottom