• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

I'm not sure why MS came out and said anything... Much like Titanfall this sort of response just makes people assume the absolute worst, may as well just be open and honest about it If you are even going to bother saying anything at all

Ty4on

Still catching up on the thread (on page 7/13), but was the issue with Wii U being up 90% YOY YTD ever straightened out? That works out to a crazy May for Wii U, and despite the real Wii U number being shockingly poor, that 90% YOY YTD increase would be a different order of crazy!

Aquamarine's respons in page 10:
I really, really don't think our numbers are wrong.

Creamsugar posted an updated LTD of Wii U last month:

In other words:

That matches my records as well.

Ian Sherr fucked up somewhere.

Cuburt

Ah thanks for finding that...

"In the two weeks prior to the launch, versus what we've seen now following the launch, we're selling at a daily rate four times higher than where we were before."

So that would mean the daily sales b/w 5/30 to E3 (let's say 6/12?) were 4 times the amount of the daily sales from 5/17-5/29 right?

That's what it looks like.

Also I'm not sure a kinectless sku is going to make much a difference on sales, until we start seeing some good kinectless bundles and deals I don't think it's going to push anyone into a purchase that was on the fence before

Gator86

I'm not defending MS here, matter of fact I'm a PS4 owner. I just find it very hard to believe the price cut won't help them win June. After June? Probably back to the status quo of PS4 winning every month.

I don't see the pricecut numbers being much different than the Titanfall Xbone firesale March numbers. Maybe the pent up demand from the price announcement but even then I'm skeptical now. I'm not sure they'll beat Sony the rest of year.

Ramrock

Banned
RnQ.png
18639824zo.png

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm not defending MS here, matter of fact I'm a PS4 owner. I just find it very hard to believe the price cut won't help them win June. After June? Probably back to the status quo of PS4 winning every month.

I don't think the Xbox One will win next month. Would even be surprised if it does.

The new SKU will boost sales a bit but it can't reach top spot against PS4 in America without a major game release/exclusive. That doesn't mean the system is "doomed" though since the last four months of the year will see a big sales increase due to many games + just it being the Holiday shopping season.

Handy Fake

The problem is, as much as I hate to cover old ground, is that you're still paying over the odds for an underpowered product. The consumer of today is a lot more tech-savvy than they're given credit for.

You've also got the massive sales advantage that PS4 has at the moment. One thing that was repeated heavily both pre- and post-launch was the fact "All of my friends will be getting an XBox, so will I..".

If that rings true, the problem MS have is that all of those friends have bought PS4s...

Saying that, you'd expect a sales jump in June from those who've been waiting throughout May to get the cheaper boxes. I just think there are so many extraneous factors beyond that that maybe all this has happened too late (even at this early stage) to make a real dent.

We'll see though, that's what these threads are all about. :D

Where on Earth did you get 110k for May from?
#gibbogame from Nintendos E3 investor meeting.

#Nintendo said MK8 attach rate in US was 18% versus 7% for MK7. MK8 boosted WiiU sales 4.1x week over week v. MK7 2.4x

#nintendo in analyst meeting said in usa sold 450k of MK8 in 3 days versus 250k on MK7.

450.000 * 100 / 18 = 2.500.000

That's around 150.000 more than April LTD.

But the tweet is from 11. July 2014, so it probably includes an additional week of sales data or it's shipped data. (or both)

Xbone sales being terrible in May shouldn't surprise anyone seeing as how everyone already knew the price would be cut in June. The real battle starts with June's numbers. X1 should win June or something is terribly, horribly wrong.

Isn't this part of the problem? Why should a win be a slam dunk when they're merely dead even with the competition in terms of price?

I think something would be horribly wrong if they undercut the PS4 by $50 and still got trounced. Getting beaten at the same price would neither be surprising nor devastating. If MS wants to compete, they'll have to do more.

You don't have to wait. What's your interpretation on Reggie's statement?
Sales increased upon release. With no insight into how long that increase was sustained.

Under a normal April-May HW transition, weekly sales would have been in the 10-11K range. Presumably they fell in the weeks prior to something more around 9-10K, as people put off purchase for the bundle.

Percentage increases need absolute numbers as a basis for them to be meaningful, much of the time.

CoG

Xbone sales being terrible in May shouldn't surprise anyone seeing as how everyone already knew the price would be cut in June. The real battle starts with June's numbers. X1 should win June or something is terribly, horribly wrong.

Xbox One + Titanfall + Kinect was $449 for March and they didn't take that month. I don't think $399 without Kinect or a game is going to make a splash.

#gibbogame from Nintendos E3 investor meeting.

#Nintendo said MK8 attach rate in US was 18% versus 7% for MK7. MK8 boosted WiiU sales 4.1x week over week v. MK7 2.4x

#nintendo in analyst meeting said in usa sold 450k of MK8 in 3 days versus 250k on MK7.

450.000 * 100 / 18 = 2.500.000

That's around 150.000 more than April LTD.

But the tweet is from 11. July 2014, so it probably includes an additional week of sales data or it's shipped data. (or both)

3 days....

NPD May for MK8 is only 2 days...

Where did you read that?

EYGWXlJ.jpg

"Mario Kart 8 came in as the No. 3 best-selling software SKU in May."

NPD orders platforms by sales. So for Watch_Dogs: PS4 SKU > XBO SKU > 360 SKU > PS3 SKU > PC SKU.

Because MK8 is #2 in NPD as a single SKU, its SKU numbers must be higher than #3 - #10 in NPD.

Therefore, the only SKUs that could be greater than MK8 are PS4 Watch_Dogs and XBO Watch_Dogs.

Biker19

Banned
It's embarrassing to even have to compare it to the early days of the 360. The 360 didn't pick up pace for a while and came off the back of a console which sold around 22/23 million worldwide. Xbox is now a huge, established brand and the 360 was one of the highest selling consoles in the history of the country. XB1 should be absolutely wiping the floor with the 360.

It's not a surprise. If you were to go by the following three things below:

1.) The infamous RROD throughout most of the Xbox 360 generation, putting off most people like myself (I didn't buy a Xbox 360 until February 2011 with the slim model because of that),

2.) Ignoring the core fanbase with constant Kinect & Media focus since E3 2010, &

3.) The Always-Online DRM, no used games & the NSA scandals,

Any one of those issues above (or all three combined) is what's contributing to more people ignoring Microsoft with Xbox One.

Is it possible PS4 MLB outsold MK instead of Xbone Watch Dogs? The numbers would have to be crazy, but maybe both Watch Dogs and MLB were so front loaded with PS4 sales that there was enough of a difference to make it mathematically possible.

I'm actually shocked that MK8 beat 360 and PS3 Watch Dogs with only 2 days of sales.
I think the bulk of the sales will be on next gen systems during this initial period, as we saw with the UK.

But in the same way, last-gen sales may have better legs going forward due to the sheer size of the installed base.

EYGWXlJ.jpg

"Mario Kart 8 came in as the No. 3 best-selling software SKU in May."

NPD orders platforms by sales. So for Watch_Dogs: PS4 SKU > XBO SKU > 360 SKU > PS3 SKU > PC SKU.

Because MK8 is #2 in NPD as a single SKU, its SKU numbers must be higher than #3 - #10 in NPD.

Therefore, the only SKUs that could be greater than MK8 is PS4 Watch_Dogs and XBO Watch_Dogs.

or mlb the show ps4 > watch dogs xbone

Kusagari

Without actual % in all systems is hard to know, but it wouldn't that far stretched to think most sales came from PS4 and XB1 by quite a margin...

I expected the PS4/Bone versions to be the best selling, but I still thought the PS3/360 versions would do good considering what a big title it is.

BokehKing

Banned
What sucks is, I want to play Mario kart 8 in the worst way, but I'm afraid if I buy a wii u, they will like go out of business the next day

(not out of business but just tank further or announce like a $100 price cut a week later)

Top Bottom