• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

teiresias

So how close is Xbone comparative to 360 launch aligned now? I'm just wondering how long MS's "Xbox One is breaking Xbox history" line of PR can continue to actually be true.

Dire

Well shittt....

Out of curiosity, how is this surprising (XFamily+WiiU < PS4) to some people?

We know that the XBone numbers which were already sad were going to take a big nosedive due to the announced price cut. WiiU is at 60k. Put the XBone around 50k and we get 110k. All that's left is the 360 which has been selling even worse than the XB1.

PS4 was 199k last month. That leaves plenty of room for it to have another strong decline and still end up with XFamily+WiiU<PS4.

It speaks more to the shambles that the console market is in rather than the success of Sony.

GeeDuhb

That MK8 bundle did not do that well then. Really good numbers for first month considering it only had a couple days though.

If the bundle didn't do that well, the only people to blame are Nintendo. They are sold out pretty much everywhere within a 30 mile radius of where I live. Maybe they didn't sell well in the first 2 days, but they have sold insanely well since.

Nah I checked my ass, and it seems to be giving pretty good impressions.

I get numbers are hard but anyone that considers PS4 "dying" should just avoid sales thread for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't be surprised if the XB1 sales are worse than the Wii U sales, and thats why we aren't seeing numbers. I don't know who in their right mind would buy a $500 XB1 when it is known a price drop (albeit without Kinect) is coming.

That's abysmal if it's less than 60K, like you said it's not just a standard price drop, Kinect is being taken out. As unpopular that it is right now people were buying Kinect X1's over 100K monthly.

So assuming the splits in the US for WD are equivalent to the splits in the UK [which is one assumption too far I'm sure] then XB1 would account for 27% of WD sales and with WD XB1 > MK8 ~= 375k

WD total could be around 375/.27 = 1389k with ~681k on PS4

Hell of a lot of assumptions though. XB1 probably has a healthier cut of WD sales in the US then UK

Dogs Watch
4 ~ 46%
o ~ 29%
360 ~ 14%
3 ~ 11%

Total > 1.25M

Wow it's very close to UK splits then

whateverblah

Neo Member

We know that the XBone numbers which were already sad were going to take a big nosedive due to the announced price cut. WiiU is at 60k. Put the XBone around 50k and we get 110k. All that's left is the 360 which has been selling even worse than the XB1.

PS4 was 199k last month. That leaves plenty of room for it to have another strong decline and still end up with XFamily+WiiU<PS4.

The question is how much less? He didn't say approx equal (~). Without that info, you can't really get anywhere close to your numbers.

Tookay

So how close is Xbone comparative to 360 launch aligned now? I'm just wondering how long MS's "Xbox One is breaking Xbox history" line of PR can continue to actually be true.

Aqua did a comparison:

Call me a brony ONE more time I swear to god...

Xbox 360 sales:

Nov. 2005 - 326,000
Dec. 2005 - 281,000
Jan. 2006 - 250,000
Feb. 2006 - 161,000
Mar. 2006 - 192,000
Apr. 2006 - 295,000
May 2006 - 221,000

Cumulative: 1.73 million through May 2006

Xbox One sales:

Nov. 2013 - 909,000
Dec. 2013 - 908,000
Jan. 2014 - 141,000
Feb. 2014 - 258,000
Mar. 2014 - 311,000
Apr. 2014 - 115,000
May 2014 - ???

Cumulative: 2.64 million through April 2014

Xbox One > Xbox 360 doesn't really mean anything. It's a non-statement.

Xbox 360 had ridiculous supply issues which plagued it all throughout its early months.

GamerJM

Banned
Watch Dogs platform distribution is pretty unsurprising IMO. The game was mostly seen as a next-gen title and iirc AC4 did significantly better on PS4 than the One.

Ty4on

Sales for XbO had to be negative 710k units to go below what the 360 had sold at this point (not my number, it was discussed earlier). The 360 had very little supply the first months.
Beaten ofc... :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If the bundle didn't do that well, the only people to blame are Nintendo. They are sold out pretty much everywhere within a 30 mile radius of where I live. Maybe they didn't sell well in the first 2 days, but they have sold insanely well since.

Nintendo cannot force retailers to take inventory.

AniHawk

Mmm...

so that's 25.08K ~ 24.42K bundles sold.

if the 24k + whatever else was sold in that week accounts for the 4x over the previous week, that would mean sales were something 6k-8k on average for the previous week. that also means sales would have dropped about 25-50% weekly from april to may. very possible, given that new owners may have been aware of the upcoming promotion and would have preferred waiting for the bundle.

if the 4x quoted refers to the first week of june, then it means the wii u sold in excess of 100k in the first week of june, which is, frankly, unbelievable. it's entirely possible that it could have happened, but i really doubt it.

N.Domixis

Banned
Dogs Watch
4 ~ 46%
o ~ 29%
360 ~ 14%
3 ~ 11%

Total > 1.25M
SHIEET! And this is in the States!
CdsDoKH.gif

GeeDuhb

That's abysmal if it's less than 60K, like you said it's not just a standard price drop, Kinect is being taken out. As unpopular that it is right now people were buying Kinect X1's over 100K monthly.

But how many people actually wanted the Kinect? Saving $100 and losing something you didn't care for in the first place might have been enough to make people wait a month to buy one.

It speaks more to the shambles that the console market is in rather than the success of Sony.
Ah, so the automatic assumption is a decline even though at least one heavily marketed new game came out? What did April have going for it, again? This doom & gloom is hilarious.

Top Bottom