• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Imru’ al-Qays;116913665 said:
Maybe they should double down on software that uses the gamepad while simultaneously unbundling it. The people who really want gamepad games will buy the gamepad to play them, and for everyone else there's a $150 Wii U that's well into impulse buy territory.

That has got to be the worst idea ever.

Wii U + XBOX family < PS4
Well, here is the biggest news this month, Vita is back to life, FPS bundle 56k.

wWRN0G2.gif

We're talking about console health generally. Keep in mind that PS4 has to carry the weight of two particularly weak second and third place platforms. If PS4 finishes with, let's say, 110M units sold -- very respectable for a generation leading console -- but Xbox One and Wii U sell 50M units total, that will represent substantial contraction of the home console market, while video games in other avenues (PC, iOS, Android, etc.) continue to rapidly expand.

The real question is how much of that hypothetical contraction is attributable to the ebbing of the Wii's blue ocean. Last generation was pretty idiosyncratic due to the influx of non-gamers and PS360/Wii double-dipping.

That is a preposterous increase for Vita. I can't think of another platform that at any time displayed a MOM increase anywhere near that.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
We're talking about console health generally. Keep in mind that PS4 has to carry the weight of two particularly weak second and third place platforms. If PS4 finishes with, let's say, 110M units sold -- very respectable for a generation leading console -- but Xbox One and Wii U sell 50M units total, that will represent substantial contraction of the home console market, while video games in other avenues (PC, iOS, Android, etc.) continue to rapidly expand.

The poster said "shambles the console market is in." I always appreciate the dropping of iOS/Android mobile takeover but is the XB1 and PS4 not tracking ahead against their last gen counterparts? Also YOY everything is looking great. The only negative we've seen so far is we probably won't have another Wii situation which was a huge anomaly anyway.

So... how is the console market in shambles, tatters, dire straits again?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good for the Vita.

Still no hope for the future, but I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

Jamix012

Imru’ al-Qays;116914223 said:
The real question is how much of that hypothetical contraction is attributable to the ebbing of the Wii's blue ocean. Last generation was pretty idiosyncratic due to the influx of non-gamers and PS360/Wii double-dipping.

Taking 160 Million from the post you quoted (though I honestly think that's a little high), that's still a contraction from this gen even if you discount the total Wii sales entirely.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Have to say, the diversity of the publishers in the top ten list is pretty encouraging to see for a healthy industry. Everyone's grabbing a piece of the pie.

Edit: Oh shit, those Vita numbers. That's awesome!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wonder how many people know you basically could not buy a Vita until the Slim re-stock.

This is true. For the past two months, the NPD thread was filled with people stating this fact as the reason for the very low numbers.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow@Kirby. Bought it on the eShop and it is indeed a fantastic game, did not expect it to chart though.

Biker19

Banned
We're talking about console health generally. Keep in mind that PS4 has to carry the weight of two particularly weak second and third place platforms. If PS4 finishes with, let's say, 110M units sold -- very respectable for a generation leading console -- but Xbox One and Wii U sell 50M units total, that will represent substantial contraction of the home console market, while video games in other avenues (PC, iOS, Android, etc.) continue to rapidly expand. Those numbers are chosen semi-arbitrarily, to represent that PS4 doing fine isn't by itself sufficient to show health of home consoles broadly.

Have to agree. As a matter of fact, I think it's safe to say that there won't be 160+ million PS4 & Xbox One owners like there was with both PS3 & 360.

If people only want one console, they'll most likely wind up choosing PS4 over both Wii U & Xbox One, as PS4 has many advantages along with a lot of goodwill.

Opiate

Imru&#8217; al-Qays;116914223 said:

I don't think last generation was "idiosyncratic," as that implies the gamers came and left. They didn't. They're still gaming -- just on iOS, Facebook, Android, and the like. The audience consoles had last generation is being siphoned away by agile competitors like Apple and Google.

Top Bottom