• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Mario Kart made #2 with only 2 days of sales. Holy shit.

Yeah that's the craziest part about it. Now I wanna see those Hardware numbers.

Edit: ~65,000 is pretty good I think considering the past months, and the MK8 bundle was only out for a couple days. I hope the bundle has strong legs.

TomShoe

Banned
Is it performing surprisingly better?

The 360 version is selling better than the 360 version. EA probably doesn't care, they're getting paid regardless. I doubt Microsoft would be too concerned either, considering there are still more active 360s out in the wild.

"Coming off of a great E3 where we announced many platform exclusives, Titanfall something, something"

"Blah Blah Halo Remaster!"

Crom

I don't get why people are suprised by MK8. If someone has a WiiU and doesn't buy that game I would ask why even have a WiiU. Hardwere numbers will be more telling and if Niorlak estimates are true there not really all that good.

A 85% increase for the month when a game has only been out for 2 days is pretty good.

June will be the interesting month

Sales gaf

201405_histogram_WiiU.png

64k is.....well its the WiiU.

RedStep

Can't be right, I was repeatedly told that MS had the COD crowd on lock down.

Can you point out some of the people that said that to you so we can address them?

I've been told that platforms with more units sell more software. I don't have any specific examples (except all of them on this chart), but I think it's worth looking in to.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't get why people are suprised by MK8. If some has a WiiU and doesn't buy that game would ask why even have a WiiU. Hardwere numbers will be more telling and if Niorlak estimates are true there not really all that good.
People keep saying this (hw not good) but pre-MK numbers are what they are and a bump is only going to bump so much. If people were expecting say 150k on the back of MK8 that would be almost a 200% increase MoM or almost 400% increase YoY. It's completely unrealistic even with the system's tiny sales.

Also remember that the game was only out for two days and likewise the bundle.

The bump was good for Wii u no way around it, and June should be even bigger. The only question is how much will the drop in July be.

Bgamer90

Banned
So what happens next month if the cheaper Xbone sku does little to nothing for their sales for June?

Would only be surprising if the sales aren't better than they were in May for the system. It's more than likely not going to get #1 this month... Especially since there's really no big releases coming to the system. Fall/Xmas season should see a pretty big increase for obvious reasons.

FZZ

Banned
This guy is pretty major and we've been using him every month.

Used to be WSJ, now CNET, clearly has data.

Aquamarine posted the official number for last may. Plus its up 85% not 90%. 90% is for the total sales YoY from January to May.

No Microsoft PR yet? Don't tell me the Xbone got outsold by the WiiU, that'll represent pretty much a total MoM collapse of their sales due to the DisKinect version.

So

This is sort of the problem with MK8 doing well. Because now there's nothing to carry the momentum. I don't mean "Rarghargh they should have had Smash ready in the summer, they are fools," but, like, the next major game is coming out in September (Hyrule Warriors, so your definition of "major" should be adjusted considering what we're talking about). July if you want to count Wii Sports Club, which you probably shouldn't.

This is a problem that could have been easily foreseen and, more to the point, seems to be actively intentional? Like, Hyrule Warriors is coming out over a month after its Japanese release. Nintendo's actively sabotaging their own release schedule here.

They seemingly knew people were going to pick up the system for MK8, they've outright said they were counting on it. So why on earth did they fail to capitalize?
Sometimes you just don't have a game ready, you know? Maybe Smash was supposed to be that momentum carrier, but then it got delayed.

I don't get why people are suprised by MK8. If someone has a WiiU and doesn't buy that game I would ask why even have a WiiU. Hardwere numbers will be more telling and if Niorlak estimates are true there not really all that good.
2 days of sales kicking the system up to almost double is pretty huge.

Also, I own a Wii U and have 0 interest in Mario Kart.

NPD ranks systems from top-selling on down, so the PS4 version did sell the best of the three SKUs.
I have been reading these for months and never knew that!

Would only be surprising if the sales aren't better than they were in May for the system. It's more than likely not going to get #1 this month... Especially since there's really no big releases coming to the system. Fall/Xmas season should see a pretty big increase for obvious reasons.

There is no big releases for the PS4 either.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
He answered to me, ahah! :D

Eh, 62,000 is still horrible. It's true that this is just two-days-effect, but it's still awful.

Top Bottom