• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Sandfox

Mario Kart is crazy.

I wonder how MS and EA feel about the 360 version of Titanfall preforming the way it is over the Xbox One version.

Ian's claim of 90% YOY is YTD though

https://twitter.com/iansherr/status/478667237323063297

Ian Sherr
‏@iansherr
I misread--Wii U sales are up 90% so far in 2014, compared to 2013. That's US, of course. #NPD

This one is MOM right?

https://twitter.com/iansherr/status/478667480714706944

Ian Sherr
‏@iansherr
Wii U hardware sales were up more than 85% in May specifically, with only two days of Mario Kart being on the market for the survey. #NPD

1.85 * 48k ~= 88.8k

Edit: Wait I think that means the 85% is YOY for May then? So Wii U ~62.9k?

Mikey Jr.

Not surprised at the MK8 domination.

Not to sound like a troll or anything, but I really think its just WiiU owners starving for a game, and MK8 fills that need. Plus its a good game too.

Exile20

O6fbJ4F.png

Zetta

Not shocked to see Triple Deluxe up there,its a pretty damn good game. I am not surprised at 3DS beating Xbox One since a lot were waiting on the kinect less model. Ps4 still owning these NPD's though, I'm happy for Sony.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If the PS4 and the 3DS beat the Wii U in HW sales, the boost in HW sales for the Wii U can't be that big, can it?

Bgamer90

Banned
The price cut wasn't known in April and it still did horrible. The X1 was going to do terrible in May, with or without price cut announcement.

Heh, come on. Let's not start this again. Know you enjoy pointing out lower Xbox One sales but it obviously did worse with the new SKU announcement.

Majmun

Great showing for MK8 and MLB.

Watch Dogs did amazing, as expected. Makes me wonder what the sales split is between each version.

jakncoke

Banned
Nice to see MLB do well given how great the games are, but really no other options if you want a legit baseball game on a current gen console. Hopefully EA or someone else picks up a license and keeps them on their toes so the franchise doesnt go Madden on us

Phazon

So

This is sort of the problem with MK8 doing well. Because now there's nothing to carry the momentum. I don't mean "Rarghargh they should have had Smash ready in the summer, they are fools," but, like, the next major game is coming out in September (Hyrule Warriors, so your definition of "major" should be adjusted considering what we're talking about). July if you want to count Wii Sports Club, which you probably shouldn't.

This is a problem that could have been easily foreseen and, more to the point, seems to be actively intentional? Like, Hyrule Warriors is coming out over a month after its Japanese release. Nintendo's actively sabotaging their own release schedule here.

They seemingly knew people were going to pick up the system for MK8, they've outright said they were counting on it. So why on earth did they fail to capitalize?

#BecauseitsNintendo

Serious tho, you're completely right. They should at least try to offer something this summer to carry the momentum. At this moment I'd even be okay with a lot of VC releases + a Wii U Selects budget lineup of older games priced lower. That would at least satisfy both new and old wii u owners untill fall is there.

Really weird.

Top Bottom