• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

wow, some are still trying to postpone the Wiius fate? Let me guess, once June falls flat, we can't make a judgement until Smash and holidays? But that won't help either. Nothing will. It's dead.

Put this years E3 back into 2012, call it Wii2, and you might have had a chance.

coldone

vzqAGre.png

This is my random random guess. Just based on two figures. Total is $187M, WiiU sold 60K. I am just filling in rest. It essentially has to be a tie between WiiU ~= 360 ~= Xbone.

Or PS4 had to have a monster month, selling well above 250K Units.

RiggyRob

It might be time to drop the tablet from the WiiU bundles and make it optional. It offers as much to games as kinect offeres to the XB1.

A 200$ "pro bundle" with Mario kart and a pro controller would sell pretty well I think.

Doesn't make sense with amiibo coming at the same time as Smash.

Isn't TF selling better on 360 than the bone a pretty big deal? Like, really big?

I'm pretty sure TF sales for the X1 collapsed in April (since inFamous outsold it), so it's not too surprising. Heck, the only reason it's still in the top 10 is likely entirely because of the 360 version. Had it been X1/PC only it would have dropped off after March and disappeared.

I do like everyone here roclaiming Wii U as dead even though the analyst who reported the numbers started out by stating the console being up 90% YTD. Only in GAF hyperbole does a console that sees stronger sales YoY equate to the console being even more dead. :p

Given that last year's abysmal sales came during arguably the worst post-launch software drought in Nintendo's history, and this year's less-abysmal-but-still-bad sales are after multiple major software releases, I'd say that sales less than doubling YoY is a pretty bad sign.

big_z

The Mario kart 8 bundle is selling well, I expect better hardware sales, probably double this month, for nintendo in June.

RedStep

Isn't TF selling better on 360 than the bone a pretty big deal? Like, really big?

No?

- We have no idea what the percentage for each is (49/51? 1/99?)
- One of them is a month older
- That same one is in a console bundle, which isn't represented in software sales

There's nothing to talk about without any data, but that won't stop people from trying.

SykoTech

Surprised so many people didn't know about the "console order = sales order" thing. I'm not huge on these threads, but it seemed obvious from the beginning. Not like they'd just pick a random order for each game.

Waiting for Xbone math work numbers...

Phazon

It might be time to drop the tablet from the WiiU bundles and make it optional. It offers as much to games as kinect offeres to the XB1.

A 200$ "pro bundle" with Mario kart and a pro controller would sell pretty well I think.

I assume you've missed E3. Because then you would have known that Nintendo isn't planning to do that at all.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It doesn't matter even if it was up by 1000% if it still sells only 60k in a month. Only thing that matters is the actual numbers and not percentage increases.
Ummm except for crazy outlying examples this is absolutely not true. Channel stock, raise in existing demand, configurations available, etc. It's like saying a cable show isnt successful because it isn't pulling NCIS numbers. This stuff is very much patterned hence why the percentage is more meaningful than the actual quantity when looking at the effect of a title release.

Gator86

Nintendo is doubling down on the tablet apparently. I completely agree with you though. The system is a solid compliment to a PS4 ox Xbone but a laughable replacement and Nintendo should treat it as such.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Luigi Death Stare going viral and E3 buzz happened in June, if there's is a significant boost in Wii U HW sales, we'll see it in June. The MK8 bundle only had 2 days and with the Wii U selling as bad as it does, the majority of the 60k happened in those 2 days.

ascii42

Not as big as you might first think. It's bundled with the Xbox One, and bundled software doesn't count. Plus it's been out a month longer than the 360 version.

It's misleading. NPD doesn't count bundled software sales into it's Top 10 SKU list and therefore if the XB1 SKU that sold the most included said game it wouldn't be taken into account for the TOP 10

Who would buy TF for XB1 with their new XB1 if they can just by a XB1 for the same price with TF included? Remember this is for May

Surely the majority of people buying it would have bought it day 1 though? The is one game most Wii U owners have been waiting a long time for. I wouldn't be counting on huge sales in June...

Yes. The launch date has a nominal effect on the total number of sales for the month because games are always, always heavily front-loaded, even Nintendo games (though they certainly sell better in the long term than most). I don't know why it is always used as a mitigating factor, it never ever bears out the following month.

Takao

Banned

I think that's how a lot of these cross-gen games are going to play out. I imagine a lot of the PS4/XB1 userbase is the day 1 crowd. You'll have the PS4/XB1 versions demolish the older machines in sales for the first month or two, but as the time progress the difference gets smaller as the less tuned in audience starts picking up the game. I'm not sure the LTDs will be in favour for the last gen versions, though.

SDCowboy

Not really. Microsoft is still pushing the kinect version of the xbone and that comes with titanfall for free which doesn't get counted by NPD.

Right, but given the sales trends for new games selling significantly better on the next gen consoles and TF being mostly marketed as an Xbone game, I would think the numbers would be troubling.

edit: I didn't remember that bundles don't count

March 2013: Wii U 67k

Monster Hunter its power.

iQolQZiVkA1SO.gif

I've been saying, the Mario audience already owns the console. June will be interesting though, Wii U should, at the very least, stay in the 60k range.

The MK8 bundle is sold out in many places. Do people really think Nintendo only shipped less than 60k of them? Wii U hardware sales will be significantly higher in June.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Given that last year's abysmal sales came during arguably the worst post-launch software drought in Nintendo's history, and this year's less-abysmal-but-still-bad sales are after multiple major software releases, I'd say that sales less than doubling YoY is a pretty bad sign.
Now this is relatively valid.. But again MK8 was only out for two days which probably isn't enough time for word of mouth to spur hardware sales to terribly much. In the regard of hardware June will probably be more telling either way.

SDCowboy

It's misleading. NPD doesn't count bundled software sales into it's Top 10 SKU list and therefore if there the XB1 SKU that sold the most included said game it wouldn't be taken into account for the TOP 10

Who would by TF for XB1 with their new XB1 if they can just by a XB1 for the same price with TF included? Remember this is for May

Fair enough point.

Sandfox

People need to stop calling the Wii U game pad a tablet lol.

Nintendo is never going to ditch the game pad so its better for them to just find ways to take better advantage of it.

Cygnus X-1

Word of mouth is what can make the difference with Mario Kart 8. It is universally praised and it helped to lift the negativity around the console. In my opinion, and especially in the United States, Wii U will never return to the dreadful baseline of before.

FZZ

Banned
The Luigi Death Stare going viral and E3 buzz happened in June, if there's is a significant boost in Wii U HW sales, we'll see it in June. The MK8 bundle only had 2 days and with the Wii U selling as bad as it does, the majority of the 60k happened in those 2 days.

This is what I'm expecting. Especially considering the comments Reggie made.

jem0208

There's no appreciable reason why a histogram should have no gaps between the different buckets, that's just a difference in the graphical representation.

The underlying statistical object is exactly the same: a histogram.

But that's exactly what a histogram is: a graphical representation of data, therefore a a having gaps between the bars is a different graphical representation of data. What's shown is a bar chart.

Also there is a reason; the bars touch to show that the data given is continuous. They also touch as the width of the bars determine the height.

Frequency density (y variable) = (frequency*k) /class width (bar width)

Where k is a chosen constant.

Anyway, this is an NPD thread. Not a stars lesson ;)

So good to see Wolfenstein doing well. Hope it keeps doing so.

And damn, gotta say Mario Kart kindof make me want a Wii-U. Never going to happen, but it looks like a great time with an amazing art style.

Usobuko

Banned
Wasn't Drakengard retail exclusive to the Square Enix shop? I'm fairly sure NPD doesn't track that, and even then we'll be talking a couple thousand at most.

It came out from Amazon too, eventually.

I know the sales would be kinda shit, I'm just curious about the numbers.

Top Bottom