• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Is it possible PS4 MLB outsold MK instead of Xbone Watch Dogs? The numbers would have to be crazy, but maybe both Watch Dogs and MLB were so front loaded with PS4 sales that there was enough of a difference to make it mathematically possible.

No it's not mathematically possible because MK8 is on 1 system so how the hell would it chart higher than a game that sold more than it did on 1 platform?

viveks86

EYGWXlJ.jpg

"Mario Kart 8 came in as the No. 3 best-selling software SKU in May."

NPD orders platforms by sales. So for Watch_Dogs: PS4 SKU > XBO SKU > 360 SKU > PS3 SKU > PC SKU.

Because MK8 is #2 in NPD as a single SKU, its SKU numbers must be higher than #3 - #10 in NPD.

Therefore, the only SKUs that could be greater than MK8 is PS4 Watch_Dogs and XBO Watch_Dogs.

This. There's no other way it makes sense.

Jamix012

Is it possible PS4 MLB outsold MK instead of Xbone Watch Dogs? The numbers would have to be crazy, but maybe both Watch Dogs and MLB were so front loaded with PS4 sales that there was enough of a difference to make it mathematically possible.

No. MK8 outsold all combined SKUs of MLB, so it's not possible.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

No.

e -

Beaten 45 times. So, yes?

EYGWXlJ.jpg

NPD orders platforms by sales. So for Watch_Dogs: PS4 SKU > XBO SKU > 360 SKU > PS3 SKU > PC SKU.

Because MK8 is #2 in NPD as a single SKU, its SKU numbers must be higher than #3 - #10 in NPD.

Therefore, the only SKUs that could be greater than MK8 is PS4 Watch_Dogs and XBO Watch_Dogs.

It's interesting to see how much the lack of Digital sales skews the results as well. From the Watch Dogs PC scandal thread someone posted that Ubi financial report has sales of PC as the number 1 platform for Watchdogs.

Would love to konw how much MK8 did in digital, probably fairly well.

Usobuko

Banned
If PS4 is on par with Xbox One in America, it would simply meant ww dominance in sales. To think now it's hard to see Xbox One being ahead for June NPD is telling, mind share has certainly shifted, rather heavily I would say.

Interested in June NPD for Wii U & MK8 too.

SDCowboy

Yeah, and the new $399 SKU is missing the one big thing that differentiated it from the PS4. There's no evidence to suggest that "Xbox should win June or something is wrong".

Well yeah, the PS4 will likely still win June easily, but if the lower priced Xbone SKU doesn't noticeably increase the sales, that would be extremely troubling.

Well I guess Mario Kart 8 did come out on the 30th so maybe there will be a bump for Wii U in June?

I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't. The Luigi Death Stare going viral didn't happen until after launch (June) plus they had an excellent E3 showing in which a lot of their games, admittedly coming out in the distant future, were trending on the internet (Twitter, Facebook) so the Wii U definitely had a much higher public awareness than it usually does.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Therefore, the only SKUs that could be greater than MK8 are PS4 Watch_Dogs and XBO Watch_Dogs.

I don't see how the data says that, I must be missing a piece. You only know sum (W_D) > MK8, how do you know about any single SKU in WD? If all W_D SKUs sold 10m each and MK8 was 5m, how would the list change (assuming #3 was <5m)?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wonder what it costs to make these last gen versions. Can't imagine TR2 in late 2015 will move much at all on last gen.

it's funny (or sad) because all three current gen consoles have both a chalkboard and a standing outside in the rain pic (PS4 in Japan)

Yeah it's funny rather than sad, it's just a bit of fun for sales threads. No one actually thinks Nintendo/MS/Sony are going out of business any time soon.

I don't see how the data says that, I must be missing a piece. You only know sum (W_D) > MK8, how do you know about any single SKU in WD? If all W_D SKUs sold 10m each and MK8 was 5m, how would the list change (assuming #3 was <5m)?

That would be what gamespot is suggesting

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ma...ds-is-number-two-console-on-npd/1100-6420520/

According to Nintendo NPD data for all of the US, Mario Kart 8 came in as the "No. 3 best-selling software SKU in May."

So of individual Platform SKUs MK8 is third which makes PS4 WD and XB1 WD 1 and 2 respectively

I read it incorrectly. It was hardware revenue increase not hardware unit sales increase

Looks like he edited his post now, but was gonna say the way its worded sounds like revenue, not units. So his numbers are way too high.

what are you doing swiftdeath, staahp

I'm actually shocked that MK8 beat 360 and PS3 Watch Dogs with only 2 days of sales.

Don't be shocked, PS360 versions probably made up 1/5th of the sales like in the UK.

I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't. The Luigi Death Stare going viral didn't happen until after launch (June) plus they had an excellent E3 showing in which a lot of their games, admittedly coming out in the distant future, were trending on the internet (Twitter, Facebook) so the Wii U definitely had a much higher public awareness than it usually does.

That's true, but the question is if it's going to translate into sales.

Highest spike is June 11 (during E3)
Second highest spike is May 31 (right after Mario Kart 8 launch)

Google Trends - USA only
bildschirmfoto2014-06rto66.png

lmbotiva

I wonder what it costs to make these last gen versions. Can't imagine TR2 in late 2015 will move much at all on last gen.
last gen systems still have long legs, for many publishers, specially square enix is difficult to ignore an install base of 120+ million consoles, theres plenty of people that usually upgrade to a new console late in the life cycle so im sure it will move enough copies to make a profit

June is 5 weeks, so if it was flat to May (4 weeks), that'd be 80K. A MK bump would put it over that somewhere.
Depends. Taking out the "Mario Kart factor" for May using tales from my ass mathematics, being flat would probably put it more at 50K, so something like 85K would probably already factor in some level of sustained increase or alternatively a diminishing impact over the course of the month (e.g. 30, 20, 15, 10, 10.)

PS4 SW and HW still killing it.

Wii U....I really expected a bigger bump. The 2 days excuse is weak. Even if it hits 100k in June (which i doubt), the May bump should have been bigger. #2 selling game for the month and only 60k? There's no games pushing this system. It's absolutely crazy.

X1.... I need to see this number. Dat tweet. Anything below 100k will blow my mind.

As much as I get that we're not owed anything and that NPD data is proprietary, it's still disappointing we have to wait around for leaks for any substantive numbers.

Not for system warz or anything like that, just because I find data fascinating in general.

Mikey Jr.

Is this the worst NPD we've had in a while?

I mean, almost no numbers are being released.

We'd usually have something pieced together by now.

Top Bottom