• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

SDCowboy

Even at $350 I doubt it will change much at this point.

I'm actually not sure it would either.It very well might not be a price thing anymore (outside of an insane price drop). At this point, I'm not sure consumers, in large, care about the product.

last gen systems still have long legs, for many publishers, specially square enix is difficult to ignore an install base of 120+ million consoles, theres plenty of people that usually upgrade to a new console late in the life cycle so im sure it will move enough copies to make a profit

It may be hard to ignore when you see a gen with such a huge install base, but the fact that the current gen releases are already outselling the previous gen with a significantly smaller base shows that the primary core of active day 1 buyers have already moved on. The last gen sales are really only going to sell units at a heavy discount in the long tail. Not sure if that's worth it, but some publishers think it is for the time being.

How the hell is this on 29 pages when there is almost no info?

NeoGAF_logo.png

last gen systems still have long legs, for many publishers, specially square enix is difficult to ignore an install base of 120+ million consoles, theres plenty of people that usually upgrade to a new console late in the life cycle so im sure it will move enough copies to make a profit

I don't know why so many people keep saying this ''but last gen has 120+ million plus audience''. No they don't. The active userbase that still actually buys games is a lot lot lower and dropping every month. In 2015 it's non existend.

I agree wholeheartedly KillerMan91. I wouldn't be shocked if crossgen is cancelled before TR2 comes out unless it's super duper cheap for them to port.

Is this the worst NPD we've had in a while?

I mean, almost no numbers are being released.

We'd usually have something pieced together by now.

Yeah really strange, especially since it was a great month in terms of $$$ spent.

AdanVC

Seriously, I'm still impressed -and very happy- that Kirby's Triple Deluxe made it in the top ten. I barely saw advertisings of this game other than a few times the first week of release. Too much people loves Kirby :')

Kirby in the top 10 impressed me more than MK8 tbh. I did a double take. MK8 #2 is still impressive given the Wii U's small-ish userbase, though.

donny2112

Wii U sales:

Final week of May = 4.1 x previous week

Assuming first three weeks of May were even, that'd be 1 + 1 + 1 + 4.1 = 60K.

=> Average week before MK8 release was 8.5K

Looking at past Wii U weekly averages, the only ones lower were May-August last year. Wii U's in for some super rough times over the Summer, I'd think. MK8 June "bump" may just make it "flat" with May, then. :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I think that's ok for WiiU

Only two days of MK8, plus hot off Watch Dogs... probably will do similar or better numbers come June. I mean, its nothing to celebrate, but it gives them a small bump they sorely needed. Let's see if it sticks, MK8 is viral is seems.

I think that's ok for WiiU

Only two days of MK8, plus hot off Watch Dogs... probably will do similar or better numbers come June. I mean, its nothing to celebrate, but it gives them a small bump they sorely needed. Let's see if it sticks, MK8 is viral is seems.

60K is never an okay number.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Wii U sales:

Looking at past Wii U weekly averages, the only ones lower were May-August last year. Wii U's in for some super rough times over the Summer, I'd think. MK8 June "bump" may just make it "flat" with May, then. :p

What are you talking about, Wii U sales will soar like Pocahontas :p

Wii U sales:

The 4.1 week is the first week of June, which wasn't counted for the 60k figure for May.

N.Domixis

Banned
I'm a little pissed and bored, MS know what they are doing. They don't want to erase their positive pr from e3 with a devastating loss for April. That's why they decided to stay quite, if they don't say anything, their loss for this month will not reach mainstream outlets. Just look at this thread, its boring. It's no fun to know ps4 is winning but by how much. Cream sugar please save the day!

GamerJM

Banned
I would have liked to comment on this thread earlier but I've been busy, so I'm glad not much info has been released yet for personal reasons.

Anyways, this is bad for the Wii U. I guess we can hope for a better June with that MK8 and E3 word of mouth. I guess it's just evidence that the internet really is no representation of the actual gaming world. There was tons of talk about MK8 in the past month, lots of people here on GAF seem to have bought Wii Us, and yet it's still barely above 60k. There's a serious issue with this console, and I'm more convinced than ever that Nintendo can't recover from it. God help them with their next console, because I want more than just about anything for my favorite company to succeed.

Are you doubting the power of Pushmo?

More seriously, do they need *new* titles to do that, or would strategic promotion of old titles be sufficient? I think Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World would be *excellent* pickups for new buyers who joined the system with Mario Kart - the problem is *educating* them of that fact?

The problem is that new releases are more obvious and in your face. They're in weekly circulars as new, big games, they're new on shelves, there's significant zeitgeist around them. I can't think of an example of a game that was ignored at launch and six months to a year later became a major part of its sales base.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Game sales are good? CHECKED
Hardware sales are good? CHECKED
Industry is good overall? CHECKED

Good to know, see you next month NPD.

Huff

Banned
I can't believe multiple people have brought up luigi staring as a reason the wii u will have better sales in june

Now that we have some good titles out for the next-gen (WatchDogs, MLB: The Show, Wolfenstein, Titanfall, NBA 2K14, etc.) . . . the software sales are picking up.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I can't believe multiple people have brought up luigi staring as a reason the wii u will have better sales in june

Well it has gone viral. Hell even Tumblr had it as a login screen. It could definitely have a minor impact on WiiU sales or at least awareness of the system.

Does NPD includes Canada or México?

NPD tracks USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, in partnership with GfK.

However, these sales (and respective comments from industry figures) just concern USA retail (physical retail + online retail) sell-through to consumers.

Relativ9

If the 3ds is the second best selling platform, then either it has to have done a lot better than last month, or the xbox one must be in the sub 90K range, which would put it close to my 70k estimate.

Tookay

I don't see why this is so laughable. It's the first Nintendo meme in ages to break out beyond just your usual forum circles, all the way to some local news and mainstream internet sites.

It got the word out there about MK8 a lot more effectively than even Nintendo's marketing did.

Top Bottom