• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

coldone

Wii U + XBOX family < PS4

Here is my guess.

vzqAGre.png

Data used
WiiU = 60K
PS4 > WiiU + 360 + Xbox one
Total = 187M

So it has to be a tie between 360, xbox one and WiiU

Ty4on

Why did Microsoft announce $399 before May was over? They seriously killed any sales they could of gotten last month.

Maybe they wanted to create pent up demand so they could brag about the huge sales in June in combination with E3? Seems that way to me considering how they just ignored the NPD this month.

GamerJM

Banned
That MK8 bundle did not do that well then. Really good numbers for first month considering it only had a couple days though.

AniHawk

Looking at past Wii U weekly averages, the only ones lower were May-August last year. Wii U's in for some super rough times over the Summer, I'd think. MK8 June "bump" may just make it "flat" with May, then. :p

i think you could expect a little bit of people holding off to make a purchase. the wii u was actually up year over year before mario kart 8 came out, so a sudden downturn like that wouldn't make too much sense.

GeeDuhb

I severely doubt PS4 is less than 200k with that information then. Unless XB1 is like literally 60k or something truly awful

I wouldn't be surprised if the XB1 sales are worse than the Wii U sales, and thats why we aren't seeing numbers. I don't know who in their right mind would buy a $500 XB1 when it is known a price drop (albeit without Kinect) is coming.

Pyrokai

Wait, if this is only two days with Mario Kart on the market, shouldn't we expect some kind of bump for Wii U next month more than this month?

Hero

MK8 bundle only being 6% is fine, that means the month of June will have bigger hardware sales boosts.

MK8 Wii U bundle is sold out almost everywhere.

GeeDuhb

You think many people were expecting a price drop to be announced a few days after the release of a new bundle?

I don't think so. I mean, I didn't see many people within the hardcore crowd (on places like here, GameFAQs, /v/, Reddit, etc.) saying this. And the MK8 bundle should be a decently large draw.

Really? I saw a TON of people on GAF alone saying that they were waiting until after E3 to pull the trigger. There are a ton of people who have bought refurbished console in the past week directly through Nintendo, and there is a huge 800+ post thread about people buying a Wii U in the past week. I bought one the Friday before E3, but I had been waiting weeks cause I was hoping for a price drop, but then I thought better of it.

rokkerkory

- 50% mk8 bundle, 50% normal $299 SKU
- Also for 3DS.. it is hard to come up with a average price.

You can argue either way. But looks like it is a tie between Xbone and WiiU. One couldnt have outsold the other by a huge margin.

Ah okay, yeah that's super tricky.

Dragon

Banned
Really? I saw a TON of people on GAF alone saying that they were waiting until after E3 to pull the trigger. There are a ton of people who have bought refurbished console in the past week directly through Nintendo, and there is a huge 800+ post thread about people buying a Wii U in the past week. I bought one the Friday before E3, but I had been waiting weeks cause I was hoping for a price drop, but then I thought better of it.

Anecdotal evidence isn't really accepted in threads like these...

Top Bottom