• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

FZZ

Banned
Capcom and SE must be shitting themselves now with those Vita numbers, I hope Sony gives them the finger if/when they approach.

You know that 56k is still bad right?

And that sales will plummet next month.

SE & Capcpom have sold their souls to our new mobile overlords.

I gotta wonder if Nintendo just doesn't have any faith in a price drop. Wii U launched at too high of a price, full stop. A price drop now... would it really work? Maybe around when smash releases would be better.

I can't see it happening inmediatly, but if everything stays the same after MK8 effect goes away, which will probably will, I can see another price drop around xmas.

TheXbox

If the Wii U hasn't outsold the Xbox One this month, it almost certainly will next month. Hell, it might even outsell the PS4, even if only for the month of June. Mario Kart is pretty big.
I really doubt that it will overtake either platform. X1 has that price drop and the PS4 seems untouchable for the time being. That said I hope I'm wrong, more people should be buying Wii U.

Jamix012

Capcom and SE must be shitting themselves now with those Vita numbers, I hope Sony gives them the finger if/when they approach.

While Vita's (temp) increase is certainly something, I don't think 56k solid in one month is going to have SE and capcom come crawling back. Maybe with the PlayStation TV but that's a huge maybe.

Alternatively, I don't think a single month of still-poor standards by any other than the Vita's own are going to incite a rethinking of strategy over at SE/Capcom, and if they did, I don't know why you'd prefer that Sony turn them away rather than accept and encourage all support they might receive for their struggling platform.

Unless that was a joke post that just went over my head.

Get back to me when Sony wins over 2 years in a row straight of NPD numbers.

Hell, I'm just glad Sony is announcing NPD numbers now, and that the Sony fan is excited for NPD numbers these days as well!

giphy.gif

Toki767

How much did the Vita do last month? Like 3-5k? That's like an amazing Major Nelson fun fact of a 1800% increase month over month.

DirtyLarry

Hell, I'm just glad Sony is announcing NPD numbers now, and that the Sony fan is excited for NPD numbers these days as well!
If they do win 2 years in a row you have to choose either ALL CAPS or lowercase letters for your username.

Dire

Ah, so the automatic assumption is a decline even though at least one heavily marketed new game came out? What did April have going for it, again? This doom & gloom is hilarious.

It has nothing to do with doom and gloom. The console market is obviously in terrible shape, but the reason I think it's likely that the PS4 saw a decline vs April is simple trends. Seasonal trends tend to have much more weight than the release of whatever the AAA of the month is. May is almost invariably a worst month for consoles than April. Even if the console industry was in excellent shape, a prediction for fewer sales in May than April would be the rational one.

Damn . . . last generation was won by the waggle-master Wii.

But this generation, Kinnect 2.0 and WiiU tablets bombed.

Fads are hard to ride. Just ask Activision about ____ Hero titles.

k3rn3ll

Neo Member
Then consider this: Did the XO outsell the Vita?

Xbox One numbers are skewed considering they announced a $100 "price drop" halfway through the months. Lets not get carried away with ourselves looking at these numbers guys. No one expected ms to have gonna numbers this months

If the Wii U hasn't outsold the Xbox One this month, it almost certainly will next month. Hell, it might even outsell the PS4, even if only for the month of June. Mario Kart is pretty big and as far as I know there aren't any games this month to push PS4's.

I dunno about that, Xbone is getting a $100 price cut (Even if its technically not really a price cut, just a new option without the kinect) so I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbone beats Wii U in june. But if it does, I bet it will be very close and both consoles will be above 100K.

N.Domixis

Banned

Man, take it easy on the salt. Too much salt and you could get high blood pressure.

Anyways, I find it highly annoying how cream doesn't just put out a list of the things we want to know, what does he gain from teasing us?

I wonder if the rumored last-gen-only Assassin's Creed for this year was canned in light of the fact that most recent multiplats have had 75-80% of their sales on current-gen platforms?

Maybe I'm in the minority opinion here, but I don't think June Xbox 1 sales are going to be miraculously better than May.

I think they'll improve a bit, but they still have very compelling Titanfall bundles that compare favorably, if not better, than the standalone Xbox SKU.

I think May sales reflect a continuing attenuation effect from Titanfall, which isn't having impressive legs or much staying power on the Xbox One. Interesting how much Microsoft bet on the wrong horse with that one....Destiny is going to have a much more profound effect for PS4 sales, and it's not even an exclusive like Titanfall is.

200k > PS4 > 100k > XBO > Wii U > 360 > 50k > PS3 > Wii

Interesting. So PS4 is at a minimum 60 + 60 + 50 = 170K...so probably just shy of 200K

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
A staggering amount of rustled jimmies in this thread.

Oh I think I'll wait a day or so till the shitstorm posting peters out before posting for real.

I learned that lesson hard last month.
Too much agenda here on day 1, smacks me in the face

Imru’ al-Qays;116918024 said:
They can afford to drop $70 if they debundle the gamepad and make the console work without it. It's expensive, largely non-essential, and actively alienating to lots of potential customers.

Give it up already. They have already explicitly stated they're not going to do that. And where do get $70 from anyway?

Mr.Mike

I really doubt that it will overtake either platform. X1 has that price drop and the PS4 seems untouchable for the time being. That said I hope I'm wrong, more people should be buying Wii U.

It won't overtake either long term, no. But I can't really think of anything that's coming out in June that would sell either of the other two. $400 X1 is great and all but I don't think that would effect sales too much without a reason to buy it. Meanwhile the Wii U MK8 bundle is sold out will sell out too for a while.

Top Bottom