• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Imru’ al-Qays;116919197 said:
I agree that a price drop is in order, but remember that the PS3 has the weirdest innards of any console since the Saturn. I doubt it's as easy to pricecut.

Absolutely, Cell and RSX are stupid expensive. Going sub $200 is tough.

This pretty much proves that there won't be 260+ million Wii U/Xbox One/PS4 owners like there was with Wii/PS3/360 & that this console generation is gonna contract hard.

Only console this gen that might get lucky out of all of this, is PS4, but it won't get to 80+ million like with PS3 & 360.

Console generations don't peak in their first year typically. PS3 / 360 certainly didn't.

PS4 still has an improving lineup, last-gen die-off effect, and price drops to increase sales performance.

I think it's a pretty sure bet that PS4 will exceed 80 million, and probably reach over 100 million without breaking a sweat when it's all said and done. It's performing far better in the US/UK than the PS3 did so far, and has stronger performance in Europe as well.

Xbox One is going to encounter difficulty reaching 80 million sales, however. I think they should be happy to achieve 50 million LTD.

Maybe I'm in the minority opinion here, but I don't think June Xbox 1 sales are going to be miraculously better than May.

I think they'll improve a bit, but they still have very compelling Titanfall bundles that compare favorably, if not better, than the standalone Xbox SKU.

I think May sales reflect a continuing attenuation effect from Titanfall, which isn't having impressive legs or much staying power on the Xbox One. Interesting how much Microsoft bet on the wrong horse with that one....Destiny is going to have a much more profound effect for PS4 sales, and it's not even an exclusive like Titanfall is.

Interesting. So PS4 is at a minimum 60 + 60 + 50 = 170K...so probably just shy of 200K

I think the Xbone will do much better in June compared to May (seeing that we now know it did sub-100k for May), probably even outsell the PS4 for that month, but demand will go right back down again. People thinking that the price cut will instantaneously and permanently put the Xbone at sales parity with the PS4 (in the US at least)... I'm just not seeing it. Maybe over time with continuous quality software and such it's possible, but the price cut is not going to change things over night.

Who knows though, I could end up being completely wrong here.

200k > PS4 > 100k > XBO > Wii U > 360 > 50k > PS3 > Wii

yikes

damisa

First April+May:

PS2:
April: 326K
May: 282K

360:
April: 295K
May: 221K
Keep in mind 360 sales were considered meh at the time since the market had grown from the PS2 days.

PS4:
April: 199K
May: 170K-200K

Finalizer

Not really a price cut. You can find Xbone with kinect for $399 or $450 with a game on sale for a couple months now.

I'd still say having the system at that base price level across the board is more notable than some retailers having sales or whatnot.

But ya know, given how this thread has gone for a while, I take back my original claim. I think it'll be more entertaining if the Wii U ends up staying below 80k to the grand disappointment of those awaiting the MK8 sales messiah to bring it back to life.

donny2112

Anyways, I find it highly annoying how cream doesn't just put out a list of the things we want to know, what does he gain from teasing us?

Order of events:
1. creamsugar puts out exactly what we want to know.
2. NPD traces source of numbers.
3. NPD *silences* creamsugar
4. No more hints about NPD for you!

Maybe I'm in the minority opinion here, but I don't think June Xbox 1 sales are going to be miraculously better than May.

I think they'll improve a bit, but they still have very compelling Titanfall bundles that compare favorably, if not better, than the standalone Xbox SKU.

I think May sales reflect a continuing attenuation effect from Titanfall, which isn't having impressive legs or much staying power on the Xbox One. Interesting how much Microsoft bet on the wrong horse with that one....Destiny is going to have a much more profound effect for PS4 sales, and it's not even an exclusive like Titanfall is.

Titanfall isn't having much staying power? It's a new IP and it's been in the NPD Top 10 for 3 consecutive months, and that's not even including the console bundle numbers, which surely would place it higher on the charts if it wasn't included in the box.

June, July, and August will likely be even less favorable even with TLOU remastered and whatever else comes out

Watch Dogs did so little for them

Yea, that's insane. X1 will take June, no way it doesn't

PS4 may have sold ~3X Xbox One sales this month.

There's absolutely no way that Xbox 1 is taking June, let alone any NPD this year for that matter given the momentum PS4 has.

Titanfall isn't having much staying power? It's a new IP and it's been in the NPD Top 10 for 3 consecutive months, and that's not even including the console bundle numbers, which surely would place it higher on the charts if it wasn't included in the box.

It's also released on three platforms, and it's selling better on 360 this month. It's doing well for a new IP, but it's not a large system seller, and it's not the next big thing.

That is terrible for EVERONE. I cane see both PS4 and XBO never reaching PS3 and 360.

Keep in mind that the 360 didn't really take off until it had received multiple price cuts. Xbox One topping the 360 is a big stretch, but I see no reason PS4 can't outdo it's predecessor.

njean777

So PS4 is between 170k and 200k?

Dunno, compared to everyone else, that doesn't seem too bad.

Yeah it is pretty respectable considering the summer drought that is coming. Nothing coming till Diablo 3 (if you want to count that), unless I am missing some indies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
First April+May:

PS2:
April: 326K
May: 282K

360:
April: 295K
May: 221K
Keep in mind 360 sales were considered meh at the time since the market had grown from the PS2 days.

PS4:
April: 199K
May: 170K-200K

This is disastrous. Wow. That's a colossal market contraction.

Imru’ al-Qays;116919197 said:
I agree that a price drop is in order, but remember that the PS3 has the weirdest innards of any console since the Saturn. I doubt it's as easy to pricecut.

Honestly, I'd imagine it's more that they'd potentially cannibalize sales of the Playstation TV if they dropped the PS3's price. They would much rather see people buy a PSTV and play PS3 games through PSNow than buy a PS3 at this point.

Well, here is the biggest news this month, Vita is back to life, FPS bundle 56k.
ofiS5PX.gif

It's only there because of the 360 version. He probably meant the X1 version, which didn't have any staying power and collapsed after March

Imru’ al-Qays;116918888 said:
How many times did Microsoft say they weren't going to debundle Kinect? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And I seem to recall having read that $70 was how much a gamepad cost on its own, can't recall where though. Apologies if that's inaccurate.

Did MS say this to shareholders and investors like Iwata did? Or was it via PR/social media?

Honestly, I'd imagine it's more that they'd potentially cannibalize sales of the Playstation TV if they dropped the PS3's price. They would much rather see people buy a PSTV and play PS3 games through PSNow than buy a PS3 at this point.

Yeah. Maybe they'll just kill the PS3 altogether when the PS4 gets its pricecut to $300.

t_wilson01

How on earth are console sales up 95% with the PS4 under 200k? Was this month last year just fucking dead?
With Wii U at 60k, that means that Wii U+Xbox Family > 170k putting PS4 at least at 170k.
My thoughts exactly. No wonder Sony and Microsoft released their consoles in a somewhat incomplete state.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thought PS4 would be above 200K with MLB and Watch Dogs dropping, but still not too bad considering what everyone else is pulling.

Top Bottom