• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

First April+May:

PS2:
April: 326K
May: 282K

360:
April: 295K
May: 221K
Keep in mind 360 sales were considered meh at the time since the market had grown from the PS2 days.

PS4:
April: 199K
May: 170K-200K

It's not quite an apples to apples comparison since 360 had no competition and PS2 might as well have not had competition due to Dreamcast bomb. Would be more fair to compare PS4 + XBO. Even then the numbers still suck, but it's not as steep of a decline.

EDIT: I guess it went up slightly.

Lexxism

I remember few pages back at people laughing when someone said that PS4 is below 200k. Looks like he was right after all and got the last laugh

BigDug13

Oh dont get me wrong I know its a pretty decent game since I own and finished it on PC, but still, its not a new game even by port standards, and for it to increase such a dead console in such a way is very surprising to me thats all.

You'd be surprised just how much having one of your favorite games in portable form makes it feel like a completely different product. It doesn't matter if it's 1.5 years old. It's BL2 in portable form!

Bessy67

They're still the same price. Dont expect sales to really pick up until real price cuts.
I'm not saying it will win next month, but there may be a lot of people who wanted Xbox One but didn't want kinect. So even though it's not technically a price cut the I could see the new SKU helping to close/erase the gap for the month.

It amazes me how quickly 360 and PS3 dropped like rocks. I mean the systems are old as fuck but 360 was putting up pretty respectable numbers right up to Xbone launch. They are still way too overpriced though so I guess it shouldn't be that surprising.

Zephyx

First April+May:

PS2:
April: 326K
May: 282K

360:
April: 295K
May: 221K
Keep in mind 360 sales were considered meh at the time since the market had grown from the PS2 days.

PS4:
April: 199K
May: 170K-200K

With only 1 big game out there, I'm surprised the PS4 even sold that much.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
image_43215_thumb_wide610.jpg

The ps4 is doing just fine for a $400 console. That is not even close to a mass market price and the software in General is slow to get going for than previous gen. Given the record setting start it's still doing what it should do. Once you hit the $300 price point then things will start to get going.

This pretty much proves that there won't be 260+ million Wii U/Xbox One/PS4 owners like there was with Wii/PS3/360 & that this console generation is gonna contract hard.

Only console this gen that might get lucky out of all of this, is PS4, but it won't get to 80+ million like with PS3 & 360.

You do know that PS3 started out much worst than PS4 and it still got to 80 million .
PS4 must be around 180k for this month .

It's also released on three platforms, and it's selling better on 360 this month. It's doing well for a new IP, but it's not a system seller, and it's not the next big thing.

It's selling better on 360 this month......when you don't include the XB1 bundle numbers. Kind of an important detail to consider.

It's only there because of the 360 version. He probably meant the X1 version, which didn't have any staying power and collapsed after March

The console itself isn't selling well, but Titanfall relative to the console install base/monthly sales seems to be selling quite well. Or am I missing something?

hawk2025

Why does all the nuance and careful analysis of the numbers go out the window once the platform numbers come out?

Too many "RIP game industry" posts and not enough actual analysis going on, without actually trying to understand the differences. I don't get it.

It's not quite an apples to apples comparison since 360 had no competition and PS2 might as well have not had competition due to Dreamcast bomb. Would be more fair to compare PS4 + XBO. Even then the numbers still suck, but it's not as steep of a decline.

EDIT: I guess it went up slightly.

It's also not a fair comparison due to supply constraints. Xbox 360 was heavily constrained until after May of 2006.

PS4 has sold far more units much quicker, and supply has exceeded demand quicker as a result.

random25

3DS numbers is probably sitting a little above 100k. Kirby and to a certain extent Mario Golf really did well keeping that 3DS sales up in the race.

ryan299

That is terrible for EVERONE. I cane see both PS4 and XBO never reaching PS3 and 360.

Yeah I'm more interested in the whole industry. A lot of analysts were saying before X1 and PS4 came out that consoles sales would be more than last generation. I really don't think the console market is going to come close to that number this generation. i think a lot of people left, are fine with mobile games and don't plan on coming back.

The XBox 360 is almost 9 years old and the PS3 almost 8 years old and each are still priced rather high. Not only that but many publishers are still pumping out games for them. So it's very difficult to tell what kind of legs the new systems will have. I have no doubt the PS4 will eventually reach 80 million but the XBox One I'm not so sure about. The Wii U will be lucky to reach half that.

Can someone start compiling the data creamsugar is providing in this thread to keep everybody updated at every page?

Edit: See HERE for most up-to-date summary

200k > PS4 > 170k
PS4 > 3DS > XB1
90k > XB1 > 60k
Wii U ~= 60k
~60K > 360 > 50k
PSV ~= 56k
50k > PS3 > Wii
-----------------------------
Mario Kart 8 ~= 375k, 6.6% from bundles
Watch Dogs Sales Breakdown

PS4 ~ 46%
XB1 ~ 29%
360 ~ 14%
PS3 ~ 11%

Total > 1.25M
Minecraft PS3 89k
Wolfenstein New Order

PS4 ~ 41%
XB1 ~ 38%
360 ~ 13%
PS3 ~ 8%
BL2 Vita Standalone ~27k

It's selling better on 360 this month......when you don't include the XB1 bundle numbers. Kind of an important detail to consider.

The console itself isn't selling well, but Titanfall relative to the console install base/monthly sales seems to be selling quite well. Or am I missing something?

Xbox One sales are less than 100K.

PS4 did close to 3X Xbox One sales for the month, and that's merely on the back of momentum + Watch Dogs (which isn't even exclusive).

Again, Titanfall is selling some systems, but it's not a profound amount...the title simply isn't the next big thing in gaming.

Top Bottom