• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Watch Dogs sells best on new gen. All the idiots saying the opposite were dead f'ing wrong. So happy about this. When will people/publishers learn that install bases aren't worth shit.

Vinc

This is disastrous. Wow. That's a colossal market contraction.

You're not looking at the whole picture, people just bought consoles faster this time around. We can't declare this quite yet, current consoles are still tracking ahead of 360 and PS3.

Yeah I'm more interested in the whole industry. A lot of analysts were saying before X1 and PS4 came out that consoles sales would be more than last generation. I really don't think the console market is going to come close to that number this generation. i think a lot of people left, are fine with mobile games and don't plan on coming back.

They'll recover as time goes on. I think the PS4 can hit 80 million for sure. X1 can definitely do at least 35 million. It's not going to be 160 million combine but they'll do well. Most of the contraction will be from the wii

I think may 2007 would be a better comparison

PS3] 81,604
[360] 154,932

And that is without the massive worldwide launches. I think people should simmer down a bit on the industry is dead talk. There is definitely a shift going on, but it is far from dead just yet.

Why is no one acknowledging that MK8 & Watch Dogs came out at the end of the month? June will be huge for WiiU...

That has been said several times. There is a chance this could happen, but it has been brought up that this same argument has been used many times in the past to no avail. There is no guarantee June will be massive for the Wii U due to the release of MK8. We will find out in July.

hawk2025

200k > PS4 > 170k
PSV ~= 56k
100k > XBO > 60k
Wii U ~= 60k
~60K > 360 > 50k
50k > PS3 > Wii

-----------------------------
Mario Kart 8 ~= 375k, 6.6% from bundles

Watch Dogs Sales Breakdown

PS4 ~ 46%
XB1 ~ 29%
360 ~ 14%
PS3 ~ 11%

Total > 1.25M

Minecraft PS3 89k

Wolfenstein New Order

PS4 ~ 41%
XB1 ~ 38%
360 ~ 13%
PS3 ~ 8%

BL2 Vita Standalone ~27k

Just one correction:

The math actually caps the Xbox One number at 90k, else the PS4 would exceed 200k.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Posting data for 2 consoles that had zero competition in the console space and trying to compare it to a system that does is asinine.

Is it exact? No. But you can still look at the industry as a whole at the time (handhelds+consoles) and get a decent picture of where things are heading.

hawk2025

Is it exact? No. But you can still look at the industry as a whole at the time (handhelds+consoles) and get a decent picture of where things are heading.

His point is precisely that: To look at the industry as a whole and get a decent picture you need to sum up the numbers, not look at just the market leaders, since we are under different competition regimes.

Ty4on

What is this competition I hear people talk about for the PS4? The two consoles that sold a fraction of its sales?

Sub 200k isn't that bad, but disappointing when one of the most hyped next gen titles is launched.

Edit: Dear Pixel peepers, I look forward to seeing your work tomorrow :D
Good night!

Vinc

To me this just means consoles sell faster, people have been conditioned to upgrading their hardware faster than before. I think we'll see a new generation of systems every four years now, even if it means cross-gen compatibility and smaller upgrades.

Pennywise

miDnIghtEr20C ‏@miDnIghtEr20C 11s

I always do because I talk pro Xbox! :D You say something for Xbox or against PS.. you are doomed! I love it

The salt is still strong.

I'm really curious, how these numbers look like next year.
There are so many people waiting to buy a new console, either because of the lack of exlusives or good titles in general.

coldone

200k > PS4 > 100k > XBO > Wii U > 360 > 50k > PS3 > Wii

Here is my fuzzy math based on these details.
- Total: 186M
- PS4 > 360 + Xbone + WiiU
- WiiU: 61K
- Vita: 56K
- 360 > 50K

jQBwBDW.png

i'm confused though, is there something wrong with what he's saying? seems like a lot of people aren't even addressing his post and just saying LOLSALT

Well, for one, Midnightrider is a known... hmm... "proponent" of a certain hardware manufacturer.

Not to mention that it's pretty obvious that his post is total damage control. Why else would you even say "B-but Microsoft WON two years of NPD numbers!" when it doesn't even relate to the topic in the way he brought it up. It would be like someone saying "call me back when Microsoft wins 7 years of NPD numbers! (referring to the PS2)" during the 360's dominant years.

The console section is declining, but the industry as a whole isn't, its just changing.

Tablets and smartphones for everybody!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Except LTD sales for PS4 are still higher than any other console in history at this point.

But the other two major consoles are selling much, much worse than their precious iterations.

TheXbox

Is GAF usually this fatalistic about NPD numbers? I don't ever pay attention to these sorts of things, but wow. May was a dead-ass month for new releases until the end, no surprise that everything underperformed. Maybe we should hold off on this doomsday shit until the year is over.

That's 360 in its 2nd year and Wii isn't even being included.

The Wii is a phenomenon unto itself, but you are right to include it. 360 had finally been able to get its shipments together around fall of 06 if I recall correctly.

I mention the massive launches of the PS4 and X1 because it shifted the purchasing timetable dramatically. Many people that typically would be unable to purchase a console until now have been able to get them pretty much since launch. That's why doing a launch alignment analysis instead of an individual month analysis would give you a better picture of what is going on.

Too many "RIP game industry" posts and not enough actual analysis going on, without actually trying to understand the differences. I don't get it.

agreed. its actually become hyperbole at its worst now.

same thing with "last gen is deader than dead" type posts. yes, we get it, more people are moving on from last gen consoles, stop reminding us.

Top Bottom